ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Lightsabers! (http://ggftw.com/forum/general-discussion/77730-lightsabers.html)

Seraphim 06-17-2010 06:19 PM

Lightsabers!
 
Star Wars lightsaber replica causes blindness, cancer

Mums 06-18-2010 02:51 AM

Would using it at all cause cancer, or would you need to be exposed to the laser beam?

I don't think these kind of things would be allowed to sell on the internet. It sounds kind of dangerous D:

kag 06-18-2010 05:30 AM

it just needs a sticker
Class 4 laser device.

Noctis 06-26-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mums (Post 1268687)
Would using it at all cause cancer, or would you need to be exposed to the laser beam?

I don't think these kind of things would be allowed to sell on the internet. It sounds kind of dangerous D:

I think using it causes cancer. Being exposed to the laser beam causes loss of skin, blindness( if pointed at the eyes), and possibly death. I don't think you'd be concerned with cancer. Although it probably also causes cancer.

FlamesBlader 06-26-2010 01:39 PM

I think they should ban those things >_< Dumb people are dumb, and will hurt other people / animals.

SilentSaber 06-26-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamesBlader (Post 1276259)
I think they should ban those things >_< Dumb people are dumb, and will hurt other people / animals.

This same argument can also be used for advocating the banning of cars, golf clubs, and bowling balls...

Light 06-26-2010 04:11 PM

It might be just strong enough to burn through skin (oh joy)
These things are nothing new, stuff like this has been around for years, just not in a lightsaber casing.

Capable of reaching very long distances, and of course reflects off shiny material.
Just swing it by a mirror accidentally and blind yourself.

Mums 06-27-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 1276343)
It might be just strong enough to burn through skin (oh joy)
These things are nothing new, stuff like this has been around for years, just not in a lightsaber casing.

Capable of reaching very long distances, and of course reflects off shiny material.
Just swing it by a mirror accidentally and blind yourself.

I think this one is a bit stronger than those green ones, and it's relatively cheap so that morons can afford it. Hopefully those morons DO blind themselves by accident before causing harm to others.

Light 06-27-2010 02:16 AM

Those light pens were just the more common ones displayed, there were stronger ones, some which were box shaped and set things on fire in a few seconds.

Personally I think morons will try to get it no matter how much the cost.

Mums 06-27-2010 02:21 AM

I haven't seen those box shaped ones. I guess that proves I'm not a moron who's looking for a harmful laser no matter the cost eh? 8D

Dook 06-27-2010 03:49 AM

200 dollars too expensive? You can make one yourself!

Probably not as deadly but it's just as dangerous :v

Javier 06-27-2010 04:21 AM

^Jesus christ lol..

I guess only the hardcore star wars fanboys run a risk of getting blinded. Who else would go out of their way to buy a 'lightsaber' for 200 bucks?

TheBlackCatXIII 06-27-2010 08:35 AM

um. lasers like these aren't really that dangerous if you take into consideration, pistols, snipers etc. and these in some countries, are not banned. nothing much else to say about it @_@ it's dangerous but not the most dangerous lol.
just a side note.
Air pressured Pistols in HK are a lot cheaper .-. than this thing LOL. if you want something dangerous, consider those pistols. the ones that can shoot metal mini bullets =] they're quite haxxed and dangerous =O
alternatively, just get a real gun, if u're in a country where it is allowed. Over here in Australia, everything is banned. except knives, but even then, if u're caught having one on you without a legitimate reason, there will be punishment.

Yukipyon 06-27-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII (Post 1276972)
um. lasers like these aren't really that dangerous if you take into consideration, pistols, snipers etc.


Lasers = light, hence travel at speed of light.
Bullets = physical rounds. Do not travel at speed of light.


Just sayin'

kag 06-27-2010 10:41 AM

i rather die then go blind, seriously

SilentSaber 06-27-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukipyon (Post 1276979)
Lasers = light, hence travel at speed of light.
Bullets = physical rounds. Do not travel at speed of light.


Just sayin'

That doesn't actually matter, unless you think you'd be able to dodge bullets matrix style...

Maybe you meant lasers can bounce off of polished surfaces, mirrors and the such while bullets cannot? (as other people have pointed out)

TheBlackCatXIII 06-27-2010 03:27 PM

BULLETS CAN BOUNCE OFF SURFACES TOOO D=< *watches black cat**
but um, yea, the speed in this case is not significant in trying to kill someone unless that laser can be shot from the same kinda distance as a gun. I really wana point out that bullets travel quite fast =/ unless it's an ultra long distance assault / assasination, u WOULD prefer using a gun LOL.
but hey, light sabers now, beam rifles might come soon ;)

Mums 06-27-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII (Post 1277209)
light sabers now, beam rifles might come soon ;)

Death rays please.

SilentSaber 06-27-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII (Post 1277209)
BULLETS CAN BOUNCE OFF SURFACES TOOO D=< *watches black cat**
but um, yea, the speed in this case is not significant in trying to kill someone unless that laser can be shot from the same kinda distance as a gun. I really wana point out that bullets travel quite fast =/ unless it's an ultra long distance assault / assasination, u WOULD prefer using a gun LOL.
but hey, light sabers now, beam rifles might come soon ;)

I'd think you'd want to use a gun for long distance. Laser beams scatter in non-vacuum. Though both would have a limit to their effective range...

Ian 06-27-2010 06:40 PM

On the positive side, At least they made it lethal.

@Dook

Whoa, better buy some supplies and make one.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.