ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community


Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > General Discussion

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

8.7

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-27-2010   #21 (permalink)
Let's Pie Creation!
Yukipyon's Avatar
Games
MapleStoryS4 LeagueEden Eternal
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beyond that hill
Posts: 727
iTrader: (0)
Yukipyon is a splendid one to beholdYukipyon is a splendid one to beholdYukipyon is a splendid one to beholdYukipyon is a splendid one to beholdYukipyon is a splendid one to beholdYukipyon is a splendid one to beholdYukipyon is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Aokawa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSaber
That doesn't actually matter, unless you think you'd be able to dodge bullets matrix style...

Maybe you meant lasers can bounce off of polished surfaces, mirrors and the such while bullets cannot? (as other people have pointed out)
Well, I was actually implying that lasers can be just as dangerous (or even more dangerous) as bullets. I should have used a better example. My bad.
__________________
"...And just like that, he became the king of the world."
 
Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-27-2010   #22 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Light's Avatar
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CanadaLand
Posts: 6,419
Blog Entries: 4
iTrader: (0)
Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208
Default

Once I saw the laser vs gun argument, I wanted to point out why lasers are more dangerous in a more covert manner.

Guns, even handguns are easily noted, and when seen obviously indicate danger.
You can't just chill in your back yard with a gun in your hand, and not expect the police at your doorstep.

Lasers are very discreet, you can hide them in any object, and no one would be the wiser until you turn it on.
If you run around the city with this lightsaber, no one will pay much attention, because it's not obvious what it does.
--

I'm sure many of you may be discussing the power of a laser vs a bullet, but that's extremely difficult to measure up, considering the many various bullets and powers of lasers.

In my opinion, a strong military graded laser can melt any bullet heading in it's path, but it once again varies.
__________________

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!
 
06-27-2010   #23 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,463
iTrader: (0)
Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
If you run around the city with this lightsaber, no one will pay much attention, because it's not obvious what it does.
This. Frankly I don't really mind lasers though. This because they probably won't be used a weapons for while due to people not knowing what they do.

------

Unless, people start mugging people with lazers or something.
__________________

/ / / Playing: DM
 
06-27-2010   #24 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^
TheBlackCatXIII's Avatar
Awards MoM AwardFacebook Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)
TheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to TheBlackCatXIII
IGN: TheBlackCatXIII
Class: Sense to_scientist
Default

Light sabers, especially portable ones have a very limited range when compared with pistols. However, the fact that these lasers are a lot more concealable holds very true indeed. The smallest gun i know about is a little smaller than an adult's palm and can fit into a mini pouch.
In terms of military uses, without doubt, laser will become a much more effective weaponry than artilleries and bullets when it is researched and developed fully.
 
06-28-2010   #25 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
SilentSaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 自分の幻想
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)
SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII
Light sabers, especially portable ones have a very limited range when compared with pistols. However, the fact that these lasers are a lot more concealable holds very true indeed. The smallest gun i know about is a little smaller than an adult's palm and can fit into a mini pouch.
In terms of military uses, without doubt, laser will become a much more effective weaponry than artilleries and bullets when it is researched and developed fully.
Once again, the main problem with lasers of just about any power is power dissipation over distance (The beam become unfocused). The most powerful laser in existence rely amplifying and focusing many separate beams onto a single spot within a chamber. Nothing like what you might see in a game or anime.

Barring some truly astounding breakthrough in technology, artys and bullets will remain as the primary means of killing things for some time to come (hundreds of years?). The lasers we have now can blind people, sure. But cutting people apart from even ten meters away will require a huge laser.

The wikipedia article on the NIF laser is pretty interesting, so I'll link it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility
__________________
Human history is the story of complaisance. While disaster is fresh in our memory, we take precautions. But as the memory of disaster recedes, we start to take risks.

Last edited by SilentSaber; 06-28-2010 at 12:21 AM.
 
06-28-2010   #26 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Metty's Avatar
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,014
Blog Entries: 26
iTrader: (0)
Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty
Default

After looking at the website that sells these "lightsabers", it's quite easy to see that these aren't the actual lightsaber replicas that people buy. These do not have the blade that is lit up to make them appear to be blades of plasma, nor does it say that these actually are lightsabers. Only one model from what I looked at vaguely resembled the hilt of a lightsaber even then it was only a vague resemblance.

To the OP: Read more before you post something like this so you look less like a fool when people actually click more than just the first link.

Some links:
Places that make the actual replicas: Welcome to www.Force-Fx.com
http://www.ultrasabers.com/
Video of what they actually look like to show that this article is full of shit:


Note that these use LEDs.
__________________


Last edited by Metty; 06-28-2010 at 04:28 AM.
 
06-28-2010   #27 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Kirks's Avatar
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dakar, West Africa
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: (7)
Kirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Gladiyeytor
Default

Wow my dream of becoming a metal slicing Gundam isn't that impossible after all. o_o
__________________
ヨンム・カークス MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type


-Lt.Commander Yonem Kirks, African Zeon Remnants
 
06-28-2010   #28 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^
TheBlackCatXIII's Avatar
Awards MoM AwardFacebook Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)
TheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to TheBlackCatXIII
IGN: TheBlackCatXIII
Class: Sense to_scientist
Default

Laser weaponry will be in use within 50 years. i watched a documentary about it before. However, it is wise to keep in mind that military technology are always far more advance than we see / think it is. Strong powers constantly research and develop new weaponry for "defence" purposes. They might even have it now. who knows.
 
06-28-2010   #29 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Light's Avatar
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CanadaLand
Posts: 6,419
Blog Entries: 4
iTrader: (0)
Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metty
After looking at the website that sells these "lightsabers", it's quite easy to see that these aren't the actual lightsaber replicas that people buy. These do not have the blade that is lit up to make them appear to be blades of plasma, nor does it say that these actually are lightsabers. Only one model from what I looked at vaguely resembled the hilt of a lightsaber even then it was only a vague resemblance.

To the OP: Read more before you post something like this so you look less like a fool when people actually click more than just the first link.

Some links:
Places that make the actual replicas: Welcome to www.Force-Fx.com
Custom Lightsabers from Ultra Sabers the Luxeon LED Lightsaber and Lightsaber Conversion Experts!
Video of what they actually look like to show that this article is full of shit:

Note that these use LEDs.
These are not created to become replicas of any sort, however your reply to prove why is wrong.

I've explained why this article considers them to be lightsabers on the bottom of my post.

For now let's just say that they are being developed to be a form of replica for this portion of the argument, and how the above reasoning is inaccurate.
---

While they may not be good "replicas", they are still modeled around the lightsaber hilt nonetheless.

As resourceful as you are Metty, I don't understand why you decided to link to the FX saber, which is on a different basis of being official and safe lightsaber toys for everyone.

It's quite clear that these laser powered hilts were not being built to use LEDs and speakers for fancy effect.
They were made for more realism, by using an actual burning laser instead of lights.

If someone really wanted to make a perfect replica, they'd buy this Class 4 laser hilt, and order the exact metal replica of a lightsaber hilt from the official star wars store.
He'd take the laser and control mechanism, start drilling holes and doing what needs to be done to make it function in the metal replica.

When the job is done, he'd have an exact replica of a lightsaber hilt shown in the movies, along with being able to use the Class 4 Laser within when he so desires.

That would result in the best realism of a lightsaber to date, but the creators obviously wouldn't want to get into any lawsuit for referring to the devices as such, and crafting them very similar to real lightsaber models.
---

The Truth behind it all -
The lasers are created for the purpose of providing the user with a strong and more effective form of laser pointing.

The term "lightsaber" is only used by many people to refer to these lasers, because of it's shape and design is very similar to those used in the movies, plus it's ability to show the entire beam, as well as cutting and burning material.

This is no different than a lot of things in the world and on the internet which are similar to something else in some manner, which have been labeled as something they are not.
Naturally, the person calls it by what is easier to remember and more familiar to them. It's much easier to recall what something looks like/functions like/feels like, when you think of something that it's close to, and your more familiar with.

This also has a dual purpose, for familiarity and memory recall of others.
When trying to explain something, people often refer to something similar to what they are explaining, to ease the understanding.
It's far easier to call it a lightsaber even though it isn't, because just about everyone knows what a lightsaber looks like and how it functions, rather than trying to explain that it's some plastic tube that releases a laser on the end, which creates a visible line that can cut, burn ect ect.

All of this detailed and easily confusing crap can be summed up as "It's like a lightsaber", and the general audience doesn't need any more explanation than that to know what it's similar too.

Any other research they do into it to better their understanding is up to them. Those who know what it truly is can educate those who are unsure to potentially better the knowledge of the whole, assuming they listen.
---

Also before anyone asks, I did do research, employed basic common sense as well as known facts into this post before making it.
Along with over an hours worth of typing and constant proofreading to detect flaws, and ensure accuracy. My apologies to those who hate reading a lot, but I'm a man who puts a lot of effort into detail.


Spoiler!
__________________

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!
 
06-28-2010   #30 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
SilentSaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 自分の幻想
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)
SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII
Laser weaponry will be in use within 50 years. i watched a documentary about it before. However, it is wise to keep in mind that military technology are always far more advance than we see / think it is. Strong powers constantly research and develop new weaponry for "defence" purposes. They might even have it now. who knows.
I realize military technology is usually ahead of civilian technology. But you still have to be careful of what you see on tv. We had the "Star Wars" missile defense back in the 1980s. (Reagan Announces Star Wars Missile Defense - ABC News)

But that's besides the point. As I've said before, the problem is not with laser technology itself, it's our atmosphere are the particles within it that may prove to be a prohibitive barrier for ground to ground laser weaponry replacing conventional munitions**. I'm sure we've already mounted lasers on tanks, ships, and aircraft. But for them to replace conventional munitions and arty is still quite a stretch of imagination away. (Some problems include: power source, protecting sensitive equipment inherent in large lasers, and the earth being curved.)

**Anti-ballistic missile lasers are a bit different from ground to ground lasers in that they're fired from high up in (or even out of) the atmosphere, which means the beam itself would encounter a lot less atmosphere, and would, therefore; achieve a higher effective range.

For more detail about why there are limitations, here's another wikipedia page (my boss is already filling out paperwork to fire me over this, I'm sure.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directe...considerations
__________________
Human history is the story of complaisance. While disaster is fresh in our memory, we take precautions. But as the memory of disaster recedes, we start to take risks.

Last edited by SilentSaber; 06-28-2010 at 08:20 AM.
 
06-28-2010   #31 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Metty's Avatar
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,014
Blog Entries: 26
iTrader: (0)
Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty
Default

Damnit Light you know how I am. Besides referring to it as a lightsaber would imply that it can be used as a sabre, which it can't due to no physical blade. It's just a hand held cutting laser which media got a hold of. And anyone trying to make a lightsaber out of it would be a fool due to the fact that they would end up blinding themselves once they switched it on.
__________________


Last edited by Metty; 06-28-2010 at 08:47 AM.
 
06-28-2010   #32 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Light's Avatar
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CanadaLand
Posts: 6,419
Blog Entries: 4
iTrader: (0)
Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208
Default

It's been a looooonnng time, Metty.
Forgive an old man for having a weak memory of peoples unique perspectives on matters.

What you say there is indeed true, and that the media is looking at this as a hip new trendy gadget, even though they've been around for quite awhile now.

Have to say though, writing that 200 page post was kind of relaxing, even though few have probably read it.
__________________

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!
 
07-11-2010   #33 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII
um. lasers like these aren't really that dangerous if you take into consideration, pistols, snipers etc. and these in some countries, are not banned. nothing much else to say about it @_@ it's dangerous but not the most dangerous lol.
just a side note.
Air pressured Pistols in HK are a lot cheaper .-. than this thing LOL. if you want something dangerous, consider those pistols. the ones that can shoot metal mini bullets =] they're quite haxxed and dangerous =O
alternatively, just get a real gun, if u're in a country where it is allowed. Over here in Australia, everything is banned. except knives, but even then, if u're caught having one on you without a legitimate reason, there will be punishment.
Ok, but making one of these is very simple whereas the process of getting a gun isn't. Not to mention, gun stores can deny you purchase of a gun for WHATEVER REASON. That means, even if you have a license - if the gun store owner thinks you're acting fishy or doesn't find you competent - they have the right to not sell it to you.
 
07-11-2010   #34 (permalink)
kag
meow
kag's Avatar
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rodesia
Posts: 2,860
iTrader: (0)
kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory
Default

Most countries have restriction for Lasers, Guns and even "Automatic" Weapons.

It all depends on the countries' law.
Which is why all lasers have a classification.
Any laser going pass any certain classification would be restricted.
So if the law allows it, blame the government and not the people who make the product.
Unless the product isn't classified.
__________________

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist
 
07-12-2010   #35 (permalink)
FABULOUS MILKSHAKES
Milkshakes's Avatar
Games
Ragnarok Online
Awards Twitter Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inside a volcano
Posts: 1,248
Blog Entries: 8
iTrader: (0)
Milkshakes is a jewel in the roughMilkshakes is a jewel in the roughMilkshakes is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Lady GaGa
Class: Pop Star lt_bard
Level: ∞
Guild: Haus Of GaGa
Default

HEY GAIZ, THIS THING, IT BURNS STUFF AND SHIT. LET'S TELL THEM IT CAUSES CANCER.

^ What I thought they said. :|
 
07-21-2010   #36 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular
DarkJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)
DarkJedi is on a distinguished road
Default

Nah.. It's not true..

What can you say about my sith saber?
__________________
 
07-27-2010   #37 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
chocomallows's Avatar
Games
LuminaryAtlantica OnlineTrickster OnlineLoong - The Power of the Dragon
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)
chocomallows will become famous soon enoughchocomallows will become famous soon enough
Default

if you poke it to your eyes it will surely cause blindness XD hahaha
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Warflow
Need a new browser game?

Try 

Warflow

Rating:  

7.5
Hide this banner by registering for our community.