ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Summer Reading Suggestions (http://ggftw.com/forum/general-discussion/735-summer-reading-suggestions.html)

BeanMarine 06-19-2008 06:34 PM

Summer Reading Suggestions

Despite taking courses over the summer, I'll still have 4 day weekend (yay for TWR classes), which means plenty of time to sit back in a cozy chair and fall back into the habit of casual reading.

I have no idea where to start, though, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys suggested some books to me.

My tastes fall mostly in Fantasy and Sci-fi, but I appreciate any genre so long as it's well written (I've read several very good horror books and historical fiction--especially about Alexander the Great).

I enjoy plenty of plot-twists that leave me going "WTF???", because it forces me to read the book again, haha. I also appreciate plots with some angst, a touch of romance, action, and good character development! Length-wise, I like books that are 300+ pages because I don't like buying short books and finishing them the next day .__.

Um... to give you a taste of what I like here is my own list: ^___^ maybe someone will end up liking these books, too!!! we should have a MOG book club :cool:
Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
Wraethu by Storm Constantine
The Night Runner Series by Lynn Flewelling
Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner
The Persian Boy by Mary Renault

Thank you ahead in advance! And happy summer reading :wink:

Clediko 06-19-2008 08:48 PM

Looks to me you enjoy pretty much any well-written book. I don't have a preference, really, I just read whatever.

Anyways, some suggestions at the top of my head:
1) Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt (Autobiography, so obviously all about character development, quite sad at moments, a very good read)
2) To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (Literary classic, you've probably read it, but in case you haven't, please do)
3) My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk (Mystery with a touch of romance, an intriguing read)

Better any suggestion than no suggestion, right? Still though, those are good books, do read them if you get a chance.

Khmer2k1d5 06-19-2008 08:52 PM

Read Battle Royale.

Lol, Angela's Ashes is a great book IMO @__@;

BeanMarine 06-19-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clediko (Post 8988)
Anyways, some suggestions at the top of my head:
1) Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt (Autobiography, so obviously all about character development, quite sad at moments, a very good read)
2) To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (Literary classic, you've probably read it, but in case you haven't, please do)
3) My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk (Mystery with a touch of romance, an intriguing read)

I read the summary for My Name is Red and it sounds darn right interesting. A viewpoint from a coin? haha. The next time I go to the bookstore, I'll definitely take some time to read through it. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Catharsis 06-19-2008 10:06 PM

3 random books drawn from under Cath's bed:

1. Paulo Coelho: Veronica Decides to Die - The conventional notion of sanity is challenged as a suicidal girl is forced to live amidst the inhabitants of an asylum.

2. Haruki Murakami: Dance, Dance, Dance - Surreal, kaleidoscopic and Kafkaesque; this is my favorite amongst Murakami's topsy-turvy works of half-philosophy-half-mind****.

3. Jacqueline Carrey: Kushiel's Dart - Epic. Just epic. The heroine, a girl blessed/cursed to forever feel pain and pleasure as one, is trained to become a prostitute-spy. From the courtesan chambers to palaces of kings and queens, this slip of a girl ends up saving an entire kingdom from ruin. (NC-17, disturbing and explicit at times, but worth its queasy moments)

Soxy 06-20-2008 02:44 PM

I personally recommened any of the Stephen King books.
I <3 them, in my opinion they are all great. For me there those kind of books which just keep you reading non-stop till you finish.

Freyalise 06-20-2008 06:18 PM

I'm reading The Republic of Wine and Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan over the summer, but I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable recommending either to anyone. Good books, but very mature books.

Kadmilos 06-20-2008 11:42 PM

Wizards First Rule
Written by Terry Goodkind.

kekeke, enjoy!

Pandaccoon 06-21-2008 12:09 AM

I'm not good with books, I just read what seems interesting to me 8D
I don't know if you guys are tired of hearing about Neil Gaiman but here are some awesome books from him that I can remember:
Good Omens (made of pure win IMO)
Stardust (yeah the movie was based on this)

Snow White Blood Red => compilation of fairy tales written in a different fashion

Also, if you don't mind reading on your pc, you could try this free online novel 8D John Dies at the End by David Wong and its sequel: http://www.johndiesattheend.com/jdate2/intro.html

Most of those are pretty entertaining 8D I like books with very funny moments 8D

AurorasParadox 06-21-2008 12:28 AM

For fantasy, I recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robbert Jordan.

And also the Tears of Artamon series by Sarah Ash.

For sci-fi, I recommend Dan Brown's books (esp digital fortress)

BeanMarine 06-21-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freyalise (Post 11255)
I'm reading The Republic of Wine and Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan over the summer, but I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable recommending either to anyone. Good books, but very mature books.

This book sounds like an amazing, but twisted book to read. I've always found the act of cannibalism intriguing and Liquor Land seems to be some imaginary place ripped from the dark, webby spaces of my mind @__@;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandaccoon (Post 12277)
I don't know if you guys are tired of hearing about Neil Gaiman but here are some awesome books from him that I can remember:

I don't usually read humor books... I can't recall the last time I laughed while reading, but Good Omens sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot when I've gotten tired of my usual reading genres :3

Freyalise 06-21-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandaccoon (Post 12277)

Snow White Blood Red => compilation of fairy tales written in a different fashion

Also, if you don't mind reading on your pc, you could try this free online novel 8D John Dies at the End by David Wong and its sequel: John and Dave and the Temple of X'al'naa''thuthuthu.

Most of those are pretty entertaining 8D I like books with very funny moments 8D

I enjoyed American Gods and Anansi Boys. :3

Pandaccoon 06-21-2008 01:16 AM

My bad, the complete name and authors of it is/are:
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990)
a fantasy novel written in collaboration between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
8D Hope you enjoy it as I did immensely because of its awesomenessness

Mysteria 06-21-2008 12:25 PM

Lol this might be a childish one but, The "His Dark Materials" Series. ( Thats what its's called in North America) It's a really good series. Talks about the different dimensions and going to war against god. :O

Haiko 06-21-2008 12:45 PM

Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer.

The preview or something :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight
About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him -- and I didn't know how dominant that part might be -- that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionaly and irrevocably in love with him.

TMM 06-21-2008 01:03 PM

If you like sci fi and a well written book in general, pick up the first Dune book. It's one of my favorites.

JC 06-21-2008 01:17 PM

Has anyone read anything by Neil Gaiman? I keep hearing great things about some of his works, so I was curious if anyone will suggest that extra push to make me want to read some of his work.

Quote:

2) To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
3) My Name is Red
These two are definitely great. Kind of makes me want to read them again.

Freyalise 06-22-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteria (Post 13605)
Lol this might be a childish one but, The "His Dark Materials" Series. ( Thats what its's called in North America) It's a really good series. Talks about the different dimensions and going to war against god. :O

YES THESE ARE AWESOME

also check out the Young Wizards series. So You Want to Be a Wizard, Deep Wizardry, and so on. Good YA fantasy.

Solemn 06-22-2008 01:21 PM

My favorite books tend to be classics.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles ****ens (<-- It starts with a "D" and ends with an "ick" [censored])
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Giver by Lois Lowry

If I can think of more, I'll edit them in. ;)

Pandaccoon 06-22-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC (Post 13683)
Has anyone read anything by Neil Gaiman? I keep hearing great things about some of his works, so I was curious if anyone will suggest that extra push to make me want to read some of his work.

These two are definitely great. Kind of makes me want to read them again.

Good Omens is funny, and also has an interesting setting and plot to it 8D
If you enjoyed the movie Stardust, just imagine if you read the book it was based upon 8D

If you like pictures, you could try the Sandman graphic novel series 8D