Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Just like that!
Special
Games
Bloodline ChampionsS4 League
Awards Event WinnerSotW JuniorPervert Award

Mums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mums Send a message via Skype™ to Mums
IGN: Vik
Class: Mama to_fox
Level: ∞
Guild: Prisma
Post Why MMORPG's?

Why MMORPG's?

I'm doing a research about MMORPG's, why people play them etc. I have a couple of questions, please answer if you have the time (:

۞Why do you play MMO's?
۞How many hours/day do you play?
۞When did you start MMO's?
۞For how long have you played your current games?
۞What makes you keep playing this/these games?
۞How does playing MMO's affect your real life?
۞What kind of people play what kind of games?(Sinse there are many who don't understand this question, what I mean is Personality, ethnics, etc etc)

۞Other stuff you like to add.

You don't have to answer all of the questions if there is any of them that you don't feel like answering or don't know what to answer.

Thanks~

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread.

Last edited by Mums; 01-09-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Shizuru
Class: Force 69 | Fighter 43 lu_eir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy
Why MMORPG's?

I'm doing a research about MMORPG's, why people play them etc. I have a couple of questions, please answer if you have the time (:

۞Why do you play MMO's?
This depends on the MMO itself. I generally look for cool those with cute content. :3

Weekdays, little, weekends, about 3-4 hours.

I started with Runescape, and then I discovered my most favorite MMO ever - Ragnarok Online. About 2003, mind.

RO is still the longest. Count 'em.

Gameplay.

Not at all. Really. Except now I tend to insert "orz" or "gg" into my sentences.

۞What kind of people play what kind of games?
I don't understand this question.

None.

You don't have to answer all of the questions if there is any of them that you don't feel like answering or don't know what to answer.

Thanks~

There you go. :3

01-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
?!

XooSliceooX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why MMORPG's?

۞Why do you play MMO's?
Fun, and probably you can interact, although that's doable in real life. :V

When I'm free, almost the whole day. Rofl. During school times very little. Just lurking forums etc.

Since Maple. Ahahaha D:

I don't stick on games for long.

Not much, although stuff like orz, gg etc tend to rub off my real life speech sometimes...._.

Idk. I'm only one person

Thanks~

O k

01-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

Quote:
۞Why do you play MMO's?
For fun. Great way to take a different perspective on gaming, and incorporating the fun of gaming and social intercourse with other people around the world.

3-4 hours of active play, usually. The other 21~20 hours are spent in AFK/chat mode.

Oh gosh, sometime when Runescape was brand new.

I've dumped my old games, and trying out new things. Runes of Magic for a few weeks. I'm slowly getting myself back into my past; Dofus for 1~2 years in total.

The people and community, for sure. Then I go for how different and "fun" I feel the game is to me; does it have a different playstyle, new characters/skills, eye-appealing graphics, or the little intricate nuances that pop up and keep me entertained?

I usually don't talk about it normally, aside from online. Other than sucking up time better used for work/friends and enlightening me in a bit more creativity/insight, not much.

Not to be stereotypical, but I normally see the "Asian" community more prone to western-type games (Trickster, Maplestory, etc), whereas the other gamers prefer the eastern-type games (World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, etc). Though, that's generally speaking. I find myself more inclined towards the eastern-type rather than the western-type, even though I am of Asian descent. Then again, that's MMORPG-speaking. In the end, everyone can agree on MMOFPSs in general.

I like to cook. :V
Answers in the quote (obviously).
Typed this up 2 in the morning. I probably went off in a typing tangent while answering the questions. Feel free to exclude anything that doesn't make any sense.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

01-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
wot
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutROHAN: Blood FeudWonderKing Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerLooterPervert Award

Shanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond repute
Level: butts

۞Why do you play MMO's?
For fun and socialization.
When I have the time.
I don't even remember..
Currently, I've been playing ROHAN Online since OB came out so about 8 1/2 months.
PK 8D. And the friendships I develop.
I generally see gaming as a hobby and free time so whenever I have time for them both.
I don't understand this question either. <_<
I don't join any guilds within a game without a Ventrilo server.

Last edited by Shanni; 01-09-2009 at 04:08 PM.

01-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

Quote:
Why MMORPG's?

۞Why do you play MMO's?
I enjoy RPGs in general- building up a character and progressing through quests and storylines. With MMOs, I can do the above, and get to interact with people from all over the world.
I'm an undergraduate, so I hardly play during a school semester (maybe just a little on weekends). I play whenever I'm free during vacations.
2003- my first encounter with an MMO was Maplestory, which, admittedly, was pretty fun back then. Followed by Dofus for about 2 years, and then Trickster online for another two years. Recently- Rohan Online for a few months & now Atlantica Online.
I'm currently playing Atlantica Online. Been playing it since Closed Beta 3, so that makes it about 4months plus now?
I am a fan of turn-based games. Also, it has great graphics, interesting questlines, lots of things to do besides mindlessly hacking away at monsters to gain exp.
I know and understand silly MMO memes/jargon/jokes.
Not too sure about this.
I'm not a game hopper. I don't like to go on a game, massively grind for a few days, and then up and go for another game. If I find a game that looks appealing, I try to stay committed to it for several weeks at the very minimum and try to experience as many aspects of the game as possible.

Thanks~

Answers in quote~

It's the nature of my circuitry.

01-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Just like that!
Special
Games
Bloodline ChampionsS4 League
Awards Event WinnerSotW JuniorPervert Award

Mums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mums Send a message via Skype™ to Mums
IGN: Vik
Class: Mama to_fox
Level: ∞
Guild: Prisma

Thanks for the answers so far (:
I have edited the last question so that it's easier to understand xD

01-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

eD3N has a spectacular aura abouteD3N has a spectacular aura abouteD3N has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to eD3N

Oh dear god
please don't tell me you guys say orz in real life
I would facepalm then proceed to punch myself in the face if I heard that

۞Why do you play MMO's?
I don't only play mmo's, but I play because I like the idea of building your character day after day as well as meeting other people and helping each other out. I loved RPG's back in the day so it's no wonder.

Everyday, usually after work/school. The number of hours a day varies alot on how much I feel like playing and the amount of free time I have in the day. I'd say average 5 hours

When I was in high school, first "mmo-ish" game I played is Diablo, yeah it isn't exactly an MMO but it's got very similar traits, trading, partying, grinding, etc..
I was...11-12?

I play like 5 different games right now, that's hard to say. Since this is on MMO's i'll limit myself to those.
I've been playing 2Moons for like 2 weeks
and trickster on/off for 2 years

2Moons is really fast paced as far as I can see, pvp'ing is active and the whole game is mature, I like that.
Trickster's only to slack off when I don't feel like playing anything really.

I'd be playing console RPG's if mmo's didn't exist and it would be the same, except I wouldn't procrastinate school work as much probably.
MMO's made me devalue time, 5 hours doesn't seem very long to me anymore.

۞What kind of people play what kind of games?(Sinse there are many who don't understand this question, what I mean is Personality, ethnics, etc etc)
Lol stereotypes
Typically, asians play MMO's and RPGs, common teenagers plays sport games/fps/console games, that's all I can think of..

None

01-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Alerion Radio Head DJ

Toxxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Toxxy Send a message via MSN to Toxxy
Class: Goo Goo Muck lt_treasurehunter
Guild: Empire F

Why do you play MMO's?
- Just for the hell of it. I like to relax and have a beer or two while playing video games. It's a guy thing. It's what we do. The bonus to MMOs is that you can play with other folks and socialize.
How many hours/day do you play?
-More often than not I play MMOs about 2 hours average a day, some days I go all out and play for hours though.
When did you start MMO's?
- When I was ten I think, so about thirteen years ago. Things were a lot different then, mostly MUDs really.
For how long have you played your current games?
-I tend to jump from game to game, but there are some games I always go back to. For example Grendel's cave is a game I've been playing for at least like ten years. It's a simple browser game but deceptively complex and challenging. That's what gets me, a challenge. More MMOs need to be challenging.
It took thousands, nay, millions of years for humankind to evolve to the point where its opposable thumbs allowed the species to finally achieve success in its tumultuous struggle to twist open a beer.
--The Official Harvard Student Agencies Bartending Course, 3rd Edition

01-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
iDz
/gg FTW! Lurker

iDz is on a distinguished road

۞Why do you play MMO's?
I get bored so I play.
Uhhh 0-10 hours. It differs from day to day.
Around 9 or 10.
A while.
Because I find them entertaining rather than to watch/be around my parents which ends up with me forced to do something, ie. get a glass of water, go do this, do get this, come here.
Not much, I tend not to mention in to other people.
You tell me. o_o
Poop is brown and squishy.

Fin.

Main Game: GC
IGN: iDz
Elesis (35)
Lire (40)
Arme (31)
Lass (30)
Ryan (30)
Ronan (35)
Amy (30)

Last edited by iDz; 01-09-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Your mom.

01-10-2009   #11 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

۞Why do you play MMO's?
They're fun and i love the interaction with other players

idk sometimes i play for a short while (1-2 Hours) sometimes i play for longer (5-6 Hours) depends on how bored i am

i don't remember my exact age but i started with Runescape

Well i'm playing Grand Chase now i quit it before but now i came back to it

idk i just find it interesting

not much

idk

01-10-2009   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

RealChill is on a distinguished road

۞Why do you play MMO's?
I actually stumbled upon them while looking for a fighting game to kill school time.
Whenever I have the time ~15 mins to a few all nighters.
September 03, 2007 (Rumble Fighters).
Since October after I turned 18 (LaTale).
It definitely has to be fun (cool people + cool game = happy me), different from the rest of the MMOs (I dislike point and click games), and it must have my favorite class.
I get addicted and devote alot of time to it, but this happen to any game I play.
Everybody is different but I mostly see Asians play MMOs.
is good!

01-10-2009   #13 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerMr. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW Junior

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future

Quote:
Why MMORPG's?

۞Why do you play MMO's?
I like the multiplayer aspect.
About 2 hours a day
About 3 years ago
Barely a year
The PVP system is more skill based than stat/job based.
I can make friends with other MMOers
I understand, but I'm not really sure your personality would affect your choice. Asians would start with asian games and such.

None.

Thanks~

The last question was sorta weird U:

01-11-2009   #14 (permalink)
綿月依姫

Watatsuki is a jewel in the roughWatatsuki is a jewel in the roughWatatsuki is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Falsita
Class: 冰之魔法師 lu_yuki
Level: 5x
Guild: Foriel Union

۞Why do you play MMO's?

While sometimes I play them to waste time, mostly now I play foreign games to try to expose myself to a certain language's environment. I think it helps with language learning. At least a little.

Very recently (for the past couple of days) I've had a lot of free time so I've been playing a lot, but normally I play for a few hours in the morning every day.

About 6-8 years ago I played the Ragnarök beta. I liked it, but didn't continue when iRO came out since you had to pay.

Lunia since about April last year. I don't really play it now though, just go to ktest every now and then.

Talesweaver I started 2 days ago.

If there is a good community and if I understand how the game works to some degree.

If it is a grindfest game then I have less time to do other things. When I say other things I mean like playing other games and other things I normally do for fun.

If you mean speech patterns, since I don't play English games I don't get orz and gg in my speech, but I have lost a lot of the Kansaiben (Western dialect) in my Japanese. It is still a little Kansaiben-ish, but it was much more Kansaiben-ish before and now I use standard language a lot more.

If you want a sweeping generalization... smart, lazy, East Asian males play MMOs the most.

Nothing.

01-11-2009   #15 (permalink)
Martyed to evil

Eternal has disabled reputation

Quote:
Why MMORPG's?
۞Why do you play MMO's?
Pvp
2-3 Hours on weekdays. 7+ or none on weekends.
4 years ago with Runescape
1 year of Lunia! Well, I quit for more than half of the year.
Pvp Pvp Pvp until better pvp games like Aion, GW II, Rusty Hearts, or Darkfall comes out.
They are p2p so it sorta limits adults/rich people from spending 200 bucks monthly.

Darkfall contains no levels, but the pvp looks dull..I dont think its gonna be keyboard controlled D:.

GW did a great job of balancing by the low level and armor limit + controlled by keyboard. GwII would be probably be similar except in graphics and combat style.

Aion requires a high end computer, so intense and graphical astonishments can be expected.

Rusty Hearts is just the best looking game I have seen yet! Perhaps they need to lighten the atmoshphere some bit...

Less time to study D:
I donno D:. I can only understand why people like to pvp. Pure Grinding and few/rare pvp players are a mystery to me.

Most of Mmo pvp systems fail badly. It relies way too much on levels and equips. Lunia, in these terms, is better than most, but still not enough balance between players of different stats.

No matter what may await, please don't regret meeting me.

Solomid Guides:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=22360

Last edited by Eternal; 01-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.