ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > General Discussion

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

View Poll Results: How many were (in your circumstances) hold to br true?
1 to 3. 0 0%
4 to 6. 0 0%
7 to 9. 0 0%
10 to 13. 1 50.00%
13 to 16. 1 50.00%
16 or all. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-16-2008   #1 (permalink)
Devil's Advocate

Vegeance has a spectacular aura aboutVegeance has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Vegeance
IGN: Scorpia, ScorpiaX, Excali
Guild: Hidden
Default How true is this for you (Western/Asian)?

Culture - East vs West… | Funny Buburuza

Don't take it so literally.

For those that are bad at pictograms : (These are cultural differences, not specific-ethnicity/religion/race differences/country/nation, so they are generalizations not stereotypes =.=) Try looking at a social sciences encyclopedia >.>
Quote:

1) Western culture IN GENERAL tends to be direct and pointed in expressing opinions. Eastern culture tends to express opinion while maintaining harmony, and may not be direct in order to show respect to another’s opinion.
2) Western tends to prefer promptness. Eastern tends to prefer some leeway (perhaps due to congestion?).
3) Western tends to have a few close contacts. Eastern tends to have a complex network of contacts.
4) Western tends to be expressive and open about anger. Eastern culture tends to preserve a sense of well-being despite inner anger. (Usually Asians are taught not to display negative emotion in a public setting, and that doing so is the height of bad manners)
5) Western tends to stand in orderly lines to entrances. Eastern tends to stand in groups in entrances.
6) In western cultures the roads tend to have less traffic on weekends (no more Sunday drives?). In Eastern cultures the roads tend to be crowded all the time (seven day work weeks?).
7) Western tend to gather in small, intimate groups at parties. Eastern tend to gather in large, inclusive groups at parties.
8)Western culture tends to keep the volume of conversation contained. Eastern tends to maintain normal conversation levels (and have more people per square foot in restaurants).
9) Western tends to site see with the eyes. Eastern tends to site see through a camera lens.
10) Western tends to confront problems head-on. Eastern tends to deal with problems in a more evasive manner. This is the ONLY one I can see that MAY be construed as being a negative tendency for Eastern cultures. However, that is perception only, and is not considered negative in the culture itself. It’s just Western judgment on a cultural tendency.
11) Western tends to have a cold breakfast, hot lunch, and dinner out of the freezer. Eastern tends to cook and eat all three meals hot (particularly rice, pork, chicken, vegetables..).
12) Western has always been a car culture. Recently, the use of bicycles has increased, particularly in cities where it makes travel easier, and due to the cost-effectiveness, among other reasons. Eastern, where reliance on bicycles has been the main method of transportation for many, many decades, is seeing an increase in automobile use and ownership.
13) Western tends to marginalize its elderly, who can rely on the companionship of pets. Eastern tends to have multi-generational families in one home, and all generations interact regularly.
14) Western tends to express emotion about the weather, which tends to be dismay at bad weather and contentment in good weather. Eastern, as noted before, tends to internalize negative emotion to maintain harmony.
15) Western culture tends to value individuality. Eastern culture tends to value community.
16) Western employers tend to prefer to be seen as “one of the group”. Eastern employers tend to prefer to be be apart from the group and hold great respect and power.
17) A Western trend may include the preference for things Asian, such as food (and utensils). An Eastern trend may include the preference for things Western, such as food (and utensils).

Last edited by Vegeance; 12-26-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-16-2008   #2 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Opinion: Yes~
Punctuality: Not so much
Contacts: Oh yeah!
Anger: Yep~ We Asians are too kind XD
Queue: Yep~
Sundays: Yes. Very much so~
Party: Eh?
Restaurant: Yeah
Travelling: Nope. Westerners use cameras as much as we do~
Handling the Problem: No way!
Three Meals a Day: Westerners eat cold meals?
Transportation: Yep~
Elderly Life: Yep~
Moods: Yeah~
Way of Life: Depends, but mostly yeah
The Boss: I don't get it
Trendy: Yep, but I use chopsticks a lot too~

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

12-16-2008   #3 (permalink)
is back. 4nao .

Rwinna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rwinna Send a message via MSN to Rwinna
IGN: Rwinna x 2
Class: Fox / Explorer to_thiefmaster
Level: 1xx / 3x
Guild: Einharjars / Corruption

Opinion: True.
Punctuality: True.
Contacts: So. Very. True.
Anger: Not true. >; I express my anger freely.
Queue when Waiting: Yes. Q__Q; So much pushing and shoving at the marketplace.
Sundays on the Road: I don't know about this one. I'm not out often enough to know.
Party: Actually, at the parties I've been to, it's more like Westerners.
In the restaurant: Haha, true. Whenever my teacher used to bug me about keeping 'restaurant' tones at lunch, I always wonder. . .
Travelling: *stares at seven albums labelled "ONE TRIP TO FLORIDA" packed with pictures* Righhhhttt.
Handling of Problems: Hay, if they're avoidable, why not? >>;;;
Three meals a day: *cough* I like to order out at random places.
Transportation: Lol? Don't mostly all people use cars?
Elderly in day to day life: True. My baby cousins and I are close to my grandparents. ;o
Moods and Weather: o . o; I don't get it. We like all weather? Because I do like the rain.
Way of Life: Communication is key. :3
The Boss: Let me get a job first, and then I'll understand this.
What's Trendy: I don't follow trends, so I'm not sure about that. I can't use chopsticks and all. . .and I do like western food.

"I love j0000~ . . .wait. Hello? Are you there? Helloooo?"
"...*snickers on the other end*...*hangs up*"
Why so mean? ;~;

12-16-2008   #4 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

The stereotypes are mostly applicable to the Chinese. =.=

12-16-2008   #5 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

^ seconded that, as just what I wanted to say ._.

Asians = is not just Chinese.

12-16-2008   #6 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerMr. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW Junior

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future

1. Opinion: True.
2. Punctuality: Reversed.
3. Contacts: True.
4. Anger: True.
5. Queue when Waiting: Depends what we're waiting for.
6. Sundays on the Road: When I go to classes-True.
7. Party - Everyone parties the same.
8. In The Restaurant: If the line means party mood-True.
9. Three meals a day - True.
10. Travelling - True.
11. Handling of Problems - Reversed.
12. Transportation - Sorta.
12. Elderly in day to day life - True.
13. Moods and Weather - Wrong.
14. Way of Life - True.
15. The Boss - True.
16. What’s Trendy - The western culture is right, Us asians have no interest in your forks.

12-16-2008   #7 (permalink)
Devil's Advocate

I acknowledge that Asians are not just Chinese even if Asians mainly consist of Chinese people, though this is why I asked how true is this to you and not an entire ethnicity.

12-17-2008   #8 (permalink)
Tea
31 Flavors
Special
Games
S4 LeagueWarflowEden EternalSword 2
Awards Retired Content StaffFacebook Fan

Tea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to behold

i guess it depends where you live. Like driving on a Sunday.. it can be pretty crowded where I live. Then again.. anywhere in New York (minus upstate) can be pretty crowded on the weekends. Same with restaurants depending on what you go to. But for the most part I do agree with a lot of the images although not just Chinese even though people right off the bat will assume somebody is of that ethnicity without thinking... >__> i just wish they would say that to me instead of calling me every other Asian ethnic besides the one I really am LOL;;

12-18-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

BeanMarine is a jewel in the roughBeanMarine is a jewel in the roughBeanMarine is a jewel in the roughBeanMarine is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to BeanMarine Send a message via MSN to BeanMarine
Guild: [JW]

Ahaha, this made me chuckle because I can relate to it; and it makes me appreciate some cultural values that I've been raised with (particularly "the way of life" ). Except for the "Queue Waiting", "Party", and "What's Trendy", the majority of the apply to me.

And I love the picture of the elderly man and his supposedly grand-child--reminds me of my grandma <3

12-18-2008   #10 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

iHmute is on a distinguished road

1. Opinion: Dunno about this.
2. Punctuality: True.
3. Contacts: Lol true.
4. Anger: Unfortunately, true.
5. Queue when Waiting: I dun think so.
6. Sundays on the Road: Dunno.
7. Party - Lol true?
8. In The Restaurant: I dun get this one.
9. Three meals a day - True, I hate cold meals.
10. Travelling - Lol yes.
11. Handling of Problems - Ya.
12. Transportation - Dun think so.
12. Elderly in day to day life - True.
13. Moods and Weather - True.
14. Way of Life - Dun get this.
15. The Boss - Lol true.
16. What’s Trendy - Probably true. I like both though.

12-19-2008   #11 (permalink)
Pixellated Yeti Goodness.
Special

Dook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really nice
IGN: Dookoon/Dashyat
Class: Mighty Ferret Militia
Level: Low
Guild: Noobs Club

Hmm... let's see...
My ethnicity: Indonesian

(I answer to how true it is for an Indonesian)
1. Opinion: True lol
2. Punctuality: Very true
3. Contacts: Not true for me, but true for many Indos
4. Anger: unfortunately true
5. Queue: we dun no wad a queue is orz
6. Sundays on the road: Depends on the city.
7. Party: I don't get this bit. So I say false.
8. In the restaurant: False. The volume is high EVERYWHERE not just in an eatery.
9. Travelling: Very true, for those who can afford a digital camera orz
10. Handling of problems: That's what our government do all the time.
11. Three meals a day: True. Cooked food 3x a day ftw!!!!
12. Transportation: False. For us it's: 1970: Bike >> 2000: car >> 2008: motorbike
13. Elderly in day to day life: Only true to the extent that many Indos don't own a dog. But the picture in red, not true.
14. Moods and weather: It rains all the time, we got used to it. I don't think the picture in blue is true =/
15.Way of life: True haha.
16. The boss: Extremely true orz
17. What's trendy: erm not always the case.

I can relate to it still, and I'm not Chinese.

12-24-2008   #12 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Ethnicity: Chinese lol

1. Opinion: True
2. Punctuality: Very true
3. Contacts: True - so many friends of friends
4. Anger: Unfortunately true
5. Queue: Depends
6. Sundays on the road: In a big city, yes.
7. Party: Don't know
8. In the restaurant: False. Clearly haven't seen an italian restaurant. Loud as hell.
9. Travelling: True, my parents always have a camera on a trip -.-
10. Handling of problems: That's what our government do all the time.
11. Three meals a day: True. Cooked food 3x a day
12. Transportation: False.
13. Elderly in day to day life: Totally true
14. Moods and weather: It really depends on the person. My parents hate the rain while I love it.
15.Way of life: True
16. The boss: Extremely True
17. What's trendy: Not true for me-always have loved chopsticks

12-25-2008   #13 (permalink)
Go Canada!

Zephy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zephy
IGN: Zephy
Guild: My Harem, [JW]

1. Opinion: True
2. Punctuality: Hell Yeah
3. Contacts: Can't agree more
4. Anger: Sad but true
5. Queue when waiting: I lol'd but its true
6. Sundays on Road: now this I'm not so sure
7. Party: I kinda disagree. I think the Asians are starting to adopt some of the Western's styles and I think this is one of them.
8. In the resturant: unfortunately, I have to agree. Asians are known to be loud people at times. .-.
9. Travel: YES!
10. Handling of Problems: this I'm not so sure.
11. Three meals a day: Totally Agree
12. Transportation: Lol... I somewhat agree with that.
13. Elderly in day to day life: I see it all the time in the streets so definitely a yes.
14. Moods and Weather: I somewhat agree but I guess it depends where you are raised.
15. Way of Life: I'm not too sure on this one.
16. The Boss: Yes. Yes. YES!
17. What's trendy: I'm gonna have to disagree on this.

I'm Chinese btw.

Thanks to Shnao for the siggy and avatar

12-25-2008   #14 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

(is an Asian).

1. Opinion: True lol
2. Punctuality: Very true. Extend the minute hand further to the right, lol.
3. Contacts: Not true for me. I'm not into networking.
4. Anger: This is quite subjective, it's true for me I guess. I tend not to show my true feelings.
5. Queue: Depends on the situation. If it's some random offer/bargain/etc expect to see orderly queues. Otherwise, very true .-.
6. Sundays on the road: This is pretty true.
7. Party: False.
8. In the restaurant: True. Why bother keeping hush? I'm out to have a great time, eat good food, and banter loudly with my friends!
9. Travelling: True lol.
10. Handling of problems: It's quite true. I have a habit of not confronting my problems :<
11. Three meals a day: True for lunch and dinner, not always true for breakfast.
12. Transportation: True.
13. Elderly in day to day life: Well it's true, I see elderly folk tending to their grandchildren all the time.
14. Moods and weather: Rain is not a mood dampener. It makes me feel frisky, a good time to cuddle with someone in bed .
15.Way of life: Not really.
16. The boss: I suppose this is rather true.
17. What's trendy: False, Western food bores me, to be quite honest.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

12-26-2008   #15 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru

<- Vietnamese.

1. Opinion: True.
2. Punctuality: True; procrastination ftw.
3. Contacts: loltrue, looks like my mom's phonebook.
4. Anger: True; I hate admitting it.
5. Queue: LOLWIN&TRUE.
6. Sundays on the Road: Do not know.
7. Party: Now that I think about it, half-half. Parties in my family usually have adults sitting in a circle, while kids running in groups.
8. In the Restaurant: Ew, conversation D: Hate it, but true in my family.
9. Traveling: "Come, take a picture with the Grand Canyon!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
10. Problems: Now, if the East means side-stepping and the West means actually doing it... I think that's false. Now if it means West just runs it over and ignore it; East actually does something about it, true? Confusing icon.
11. Three meals: I don't eat three meals everyday, but true, HOTPLZ.
12. Transportation: Seems about true when I visited Vietnam.
13. Elderly in the day: I have never seen an elderly, Asian person with a dog, true.
14. Moods and Weather: RAIN IS TRUE.
15. Way of Life: I'm not so sure on this one. If it means Asians are social, I'm not, but my family sure is < <;;
16. The Boss: ROFLYES.
17. What's Trendy: I prefer chopsticks... false.

12-26-2008   #16 (permalink)
Devil's Advocate

For those that are bad at pictograms : (These are cultural differences, not specific-ethnicity/religion/race differences/country/nation, so they are generalizations not stereotypes =.=) Try looking at a social sciences encyclopedia >.>
Quote:

1) Western culture IN GENERAL tends to be direct and pointed in expressing opinions. Eastern culture tends to express opinion while maintaining harmony, and may not be direct in order to show respect to another’s opinion.
2) Western tends to prefer promptness. Eastern tends to prefer some leeway (perhaps due to congestion?).
3) Western tends to have a few close contacts. Eastern tends to have a complex network of contacts.
4) Western tends to be expressive and open about anger. Eastern culture tends to preserve a sense of well-being despite inner anger. (Usually Asians are taught not to display negative emotion in a public setting, and that doing so is the height of bad manners)
5) Western tends to stand in orderly lines to entrances. Eastern tends to stand in groups in entrances.
6) In western cultures the roads tend to have less traffic on weekends (no more Sunday drives?). In Eastern cultures the roads tend to be crowded all the time (seven day work weeks?).
7) Western tend to gather in small, intimate groups at parties. Eastern tend to gather in large, inclusive groups at parties.
8)Western culture tends to keep the volume of conversation contained. Eastern tends to maintain normal conversation levels (and have more people per square foot in restaurants).
9) Western tends to site see with the eyes. Eastern tends to site see through a camera lens.
10) Western tends to confront problems head-on. Eastern tends to deal with problems in a more evasive manner. This is the ONLY one I can see that MAY be construed as being a negative tendency for Eastern cultures. However, that is perception only, and is not considered negative in the culture itself. It’s just Western judgment on a cultural tendency.
11) Western tends to have a cold breakfast, hot lunch, and dinner out of the freezer. Eastern tends to cook and eat all three meals hot (particularly rice, pork, chicken, vegetables..).
12) Western has always been a car culture. Recently, the use of bicycles has increased, particularly in cities where it makes travel easier, and due to the cost-effectiveness, among other reasons. Eastern, where reliance on bicycles has been the main method of transportation for many, many decades, is seeing an increase in automobile use and ownership.
13) Western tends to marginalize its elderly, who can rely on the companionship of pets. Eastern tends to have multi-generational families in one home, and all generations interact regularly.
14) Western tends to express emotion about the weather, which tends to be dismay at bad weather and contentment in good weather. Eastern, as noted before, tends to internalize negative emotion to maintain harmony.
15) Western culture tends to value individuality. Eastern culture tends to value community.
16) Western employers tend to prefer to be seen as “one of the group”. Eastern employers tend to prefer to be be apart from the group and hold great respect and power.
17) A Western trend may include the preference for things Asian, such as food (and utensils). An Eastern trend may include the preference for things Western, such as food (and utensils).

Last edited by Vegeance; 12-26-2008 at 08:34 AM.