Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-03-2008   #1 (permalink)
Orange

LittleJellybean is on a distinguished road
IGN: LittleJellybean
Class: Healer
Level: 6x
Default Do you think that the education level in the US is too low?

Um sorry if this offends you in any way . Please don't flame me :O

Okay so, passing is 65. Many people in High School take drugs and cut class. Basically a person who does all their homework can go to college...
Most people use slang as real words
The library doesn't have too many teenagers; mine never has any. (Only elementary school kids and adults are there)

Um there's other things I wanted to say, but I forgot what it was :O

Oh um once again, please don't yell, flame, or write mean comments if this offends you :O

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-03-2008   #2 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

Lol, nope, our education is pretty awesome 8D

Now I mean that about College kids, because well, our colleges are top notch in the world ;3

Okay, HS is a bit, meh. I haven't seen scores, but assuming, I think we're still pretty awesome 8D

I'm in the USA btw ;3

I <3 KUDA

12-03-2008   #3 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

I FLAME U CUZ U TALK BAD ABOUT THE US

my high school isn't that bad there are alot of really smart kids in my school

but the majority of them are just... /facepalm

i agree with khmer about our colleges though

12-03-2008   #4 (permalink)
很可爱已經吃掉了
Games
LuniaMabinogiEden EternalVindictus

Cookies has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Cookies

Cutting classes doesn't mean anything

Libraries are like outdated because we have the internets.
People do their homework, learn stuff and thing like that and passes school, what's wrong with that?
Yeah, the slang words are a problem though.. but they will learn to break the habit sooner or later.. typical teenagers?

And I'm not getting the point here orz, but no, I wouldn't say US education level is low at all.
People that have talents move on to higher levels, while the lower ones join the working class. I'd say its pretty balanced?
What country would you define as one that has a "decent" education level?

12-03-2008   #5 (permalink)
Orange

LittleJellybean is on a distinguished road
IGN: LittleJellybean
Class: Healer
Level: 6x

Um well, the Asian countries have a higher education level than the US.

12-03-2008   #6 (permalink)
Mental K.O.

Jumpstart will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Jumpstart Send a message via Skype™ to Jumpstart

... my middle school is somewhat to what you said. But you have to remember that we aren't as strict as other countries so we uh yah lack behind but when you got colleges like Harvard and Yale and such it just kinda says "We're that freaking smart." But it's also the child's surroundings that make the child lack in education

12-03-2008   #7 (permalink)
Designer

Location: In the Long Ago, when Things were Otherwise and the Moon was Different
Ryugen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryugen
Class: Non-existant lt_treasurehunter
Level: <3

The way people teach things in the classroom doesn't enduce a 100% pass rate at anything, so I think the way they teach is the part that's wrong. There are other teaching methods that succeed in a 100% pass rate for any class at any level, although they've been shunned by the education establishments because "it doesn't create a bell curve" [of success and failure], i.e. there must be losers.

I think exams aren't needed if you can guarantee that the whole class learns what it's being taught.

12-03-2008   #8 (permalink)
Belieb!
Games
Bloodline ChampionsLeague of LegendsRift: Planes of TelaraS4 League

JustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to behold
IGN: coolbeans
Class: boss lt_gunslinger
Level: ∞
Guild: kool kids klub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJellybean
Many people in High School take drugs and cut class.
I take it you're not in highschool... <_<
Basically a person who does all their homework can go to college...
Doesn't mean that they'll go to a GOOD college. <_<
Most people use slang as real words
Is this a bad thing? By the way, some slang words are making their way into dictionaries. Doesn't this mean that they're "real words" now?
The library doesn't have too many teenagers; mine never has any.
Depends on where you live, what time you go, etc. "Bad/Poor" neighborhoods usually don't have that many teens at their libraries. Some teens even volunteer at their local libraries.
Answers in bold.

Out of curiosity, how old are you OP? Meh, you'll know what it's like when you're older.

12-03-2008   #9 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJellybean
Um well, the Asian countries have a higher education level than the US.
That's because they don't get a huge 3 month vacation in between school years. Also, you can pretty much slack off as much as you want and still graduate in the Japanese School system, or so I heard.

12-03-2008   #10 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumatora
That's because they don't get a huge 3 month vacation in between school years.
...American kids get 3 months of vacation every year? Damn.......

12-03-2008   #11 (permalink)
Alerion Radio Head DJ

Toxxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Toxxy Send a message via MSN to Toxxy
Class: Goo Goo Muck lt_treasurehunter
Guild: Empire F

I don't think the US is doing too bad as far as education goes.
I'm going to point out some things here though.
I only ever did about half my homework ever. I got sent to an alternative school,bars on the windows and dog search kind of alternative, in tenth grade. After being denied going back to the regular high school and being jerked around I dropped out. Yep, I'm a high school drop out. Fast forward a little and bam, college student majoring in Education and English with a minor in lit. Halfway to teaching myself.
And libraries? What are those? Nah, I love liberries. They's cool places. But they will never be very busy. Teenagers on the other hand usually are busy. They gotta get #$%& done. So that's probably why there aren't many teenage cats hanging out at the library. Not to mention internets.

And we might not be the perfect model for education but we're damn close. We've got a hell of a lot of good things going, in a general sense, and that don't come from being stupid. America has a damned good educational system it's just not perfect. Americans have kind of grown to the point that good isn't as good as it oughta be. That's a good thing and a bad. It strives us to do more but it also makes us think that good enough isn't good enough.

12-04-2008   #12 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

OP requested thread closure.