Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-23-2008   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC
Default Traveler's dilema.

You are traveling home from a foriegn country, with a $100 dollar vase in tow. Unknown to you, there is also another person on board that has the same identical vase. Upon arrival, the air station manager discovers that both vases are broken, but he cannot determine the true value. Instead, he devises a plan and comes to you and the other person individually and tells you to write down the price of the vase. He says that if both of you write down the same number, he will take it that both of you are honest, and will grant you the written amount. However, if one of you write a higher number, he will assume you are being greedy and subtract $25 dollars from the lower number as your payback and give and extra $25 dollars to the lower number for being honest. You are not allowed to confer with the other person.

Ex: You write $80 and he writes $70. You are paid $55 ($70-$25) and he is paid 95 ($70+$25).

What number will you write down?
And why?

(I took this off another site, because I thought it was interesting.)

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-23-2008   #2 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

Lol, $100 8D

Why? That's how much it is ;3

I <3 KUDA

11-25-2008   #3 (permalink)
is back. 4nao .

Rwinna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rwinna Send a message via MSN to Rwinna
IGN: Rwinna x 2
Class: Fox / Explorer to_thiefmaster
Level: 1xx / 3x
Guild: Einharjars / Corruption

I'd write down $75, because the other person might actually be honest and write down $100. This would mean that I wrote down the lower price of the two, and I'd recieve the extra $25, giving me back the exact value of the vase. The other person, however, would lose $25 for being honest. :D

...I'm not that mean though, so I'd probably just be honest about it. D: Wait, wouldn't they think of the same trick too then?

"I love j0000~ . . .wait. Hello? Are you there? Helloooo?"
"...*snickers on the other end*...*hangs up*"
Why so mean? ;~;

11-25-2008   #4 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

Lol, what if both of us said $1m?? Pretty sick then ;3

I <3 KUDA

11-26-2008   #5 (permalink)
Pixellated Yeti Goodness.
Special

Dook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really nice
IGN: Dookoon/Dashyat
Class: Mighty Ferret Militia
Level: Low
Guild: Noobs Club

lololol. Game Theory. Introductory Microeconomics.

Dang this game would be much easier if you get to choose pay-offs in intervals i.e. Each travellers are only allowed to write in multiples of 25.

Otherwise, it would be a ridiculously huge pay-off matrix that I'd have to draw to figure out the most logical answer for both travellers.

In short, I can figure this out but it'll take way too long.

Edit: Wait I just realised, the riddle didn't post a limit as to how much to write down. In that case then I'd obviously write '$125' at least. Unless the manager kept his plan secret, but that the scenario stated that he did tell

I don't think the station manager can ask that the maximum amount of money you write down is $100, since he/she doesn't know the true value of the vase. There may be a loophole here, unless there's something I missed.

Last edited by Dook; 11-26-2008 at 04:44 AM.

11-26-2008   #6 (permalink)
ビリビリ
Games
Sword 2Trickster OnlineDungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle Online
Awards Pervert Award

Fineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud ofFineti has much to be proud of

I would just tell the truth... If you can't get the manager in trouble for doing that you should choose a different airline in the future anyways.

I would be pissed if an airline broke something of mine and made me play some honesty game to determine how much I get compensated.