11-19-2008   #1 (permalink)
Devil's Advocate

Vegeance has a spectacular aura aboutVegeance has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Vegeance
IGN: Scorpia, ScorpiaX, Excali
Guild: Hidden
Default Memorable Quotes

Here are some of the quotes that I remember :

The principles of logic and mathematics are true simply because we never allow them to be anything else. A.J. Ayer

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln

Could one not imagine oneself in a state which compares to being awake, just as wakefulness compares to being asleep? Being awake would be like the dreams of that state, which in turn would show that the illusion (of the certainty) of rational knowledge is nothing but vain imagination. Al-Ghazali

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. Albert Camus

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. Albert Camus

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. Albert Camus
(Lyrical and Critical Essays)

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein

The distincition between past, present and future is only an illusion, even if a stubborn one. Albert Einstein

A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. Albert Einstein

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. Albert Einstein

It was the experience of mystery – even if mixed with fear – that engendered religion. Albert Einstein

Scientists were rated as great heretics by the church, but they were truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the universe. Albert Einstein

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein

Fear and stupidity has always been the basis of most human actions. Albert Einstein
Physical concepts are free creations of the human mind, and are not, however it may seem, uniquely determined by the external world. Albert Einstein

The most beautiful thing we experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science. Albert Einstein

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. Albert Einstein

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. Albert Einstein

An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight. The truly wise person is colorblind. Albert Schweitzer

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. Aldous Huxley

There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking. Alfred Korzybski

We think in generalities, but we live in detail. Alfred North Whitehead

There are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil. Alfred North Whitehead

Pray, v. To ask the laws of the universe to be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. Ambrose Bierce

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. Ambrose Bierce

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum (I think that I think, therefore I think that I am). Ambrose Bierce

There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know. Ambrose Bierce

REALITY, n. The dream of a mad philosopher. That which would remain in the cupel if one should assay a phantom. The nucleus of a vacuum. Ambrose Bierce
(The Devil's Dictionary)

UNDERSTANDING, n. A cerebral secretion that enables one having it to know a house from a horse by the roof on the house. Its nature and laws have been exhaustively expounded by Locke, who rode a house, and Kant, who lived in a horse. Ambrose Bierce
(The Devil's Dictionary)

NOUMENON, n. That which exists, as distinguished from that which merely seems to exist, the latter being a phenomenon. The noumenon is a bit difficult to locate; it can be apprehended only by a process of reasoning – which is a phenomenon. Nevertheless, the discovery and exposition of noumena offer a rich field for what Lewes calls "the endless variety and excitement of philosophic thought." Hurrah therefore for the noumenon!

Ambrose Bierce
(The Devil's Dictionary)

PHILOSOPHY, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing. Ambrose Bierce
(The Devil's Dictionary)

MAD, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence; not conforming to standards of thought, speech and action derived by the conformants from study of themselves; at odds with the majority; in short, unusual. Ambrose Bierce
(The Devil's Dictionary)

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it. Andre Gide

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them. Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The male has more teeth than the female in mankind, and sheep and goats, and swine. This has not been observed in other animals. Those persons which have the greatest number of teeth are the longest lived; those which have them widely separated, smaller, and more scattered, are generally more short lived. Aristotle

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

All men, by nature, desire to know. Aristotle
(Metaphysics)

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. Arthur C. Clarke

What we are observing is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our type of question. Arthur Eddington

In science we study the linkage of pointer readings with pointer readings. The terms link together in endless cycle with the same inscrutable nature running through the whole. Arthur Eddington

We have found a strange footprint on the shores of the unknown. We have devised profound theories, one after another, to account for its origins. At last, we have succeeded in reconstructing the creature that made the footprint. And lo! It is our own. Arthur Eddington

It is impossible to trap modern physics into predicting anything with perfect determinism because it deals with probabilities from the outset. Arthur Eddington

The mathematics is not there till we put it there. Arthur Eddington

We are left with the indisputable but irritating conclusion: 0 = 0. This is a favourite device that mathematical equations resort to, when we propound stupid questions. Arthur Eddington

Science is one thing, wisdom is another. Science is an edged tool, with which men play like children, and cut their own fingers. Arthur Eddington

We used to think that if we knew one, we knew two, because one and one are two. We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about 'and'. Arthur Eddington

Clearly a statement cannot be tested by observation unless it is an assertion about the results of observation. Every item of physical knowledge must therefore be an assertion of what has been or would be the result of carrying out a specified observational procedure. Arthur Eddington

Something unknown is doing we don't know what. Arthur Eddington

It is a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in a theory until it has been confirmed by observation. I hope I shall not shock the experimental physicists too much if I add that it is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they have been confirmed by theory. Arthur Eddington

Philosophically, the notion of a beginning of the present order of Nature is repugnant to me... I should like to find a genuine loophole. Arthur Eddington

It would probably be wiser to nail up over the door of the new quantum theory a notice, 'Structural alterations in progress—No admittance except on business', and particularly to warn the doorkeeper to keep out prying philosophers. Arthur Eddington

Schrödinger's theory is now enjoying the full tide of popularity, partly because of intrinsic merit, but also, I suspect, partly because it is the only one of the three that is simple enough to be misunderstood. Arthur Eddington

All authorities seem to be agreed that at, or nearly at, the root of everything in the physical world lies the mystic formula qp-pq=ih/2pi. We do not yet understand that; probably if we could understand it we should not think it so fundamental. Arthur Eddington

Reality is only obtained when all conceivable points of view have been combined. Arthur Eddington

The ultimate elements in a theory of the world must be of a nature impossible to define in terms recognizable to the mind. Arthur Eddington

It would be unreasonable to limit our thought of nature to what can be comprised in sense-pictures. Arthur Eddington

If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years. Bertrand Russell

Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise. Bertrand Russell

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence.

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. Buddha

Last edited by Vegeance; 11-19-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-19-2008   #2 (permalink)
Classic.
Games
Trickster Online

TheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the roughTheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the roughTheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to TheRhymenoceros
Class: Professional badass
Level: 27

Not inspiring or anything, just really,really funny.

Shooter McGavin: I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast.

Happy Gilmore: You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

11-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Either that wallpaper goes, or I do. - Oscar Wilde's last words.

They removed the wallpaper ironically

11-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
Go Canada!

Zephy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zephy
IGN: Zephy
Guild: My Harem, [JW]

*points to siggy*

It's very inspirational to me.

Thanks to Shnao for the siggy and avatar

11-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Pentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Pentao
Class: (Dagger) Ruin Walker / Rogue Master lt_treasurehunter
Level: 18X / 14X
Guild: Syndicate [Leader]

My favorite quotes are:

"Family comes first."

and

"Violence is the first refuge of the imcompetent."

11-20-2008   #6 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

This still counts as a quote you know. =D.

"The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut by the lawnmower."

11-22-2008   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Chobits has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Chobits

No it's not! No matter how hard it is, you must never give up! - Sailor Venus in response to Zoisite saying it's good to know when to give up.

So simple, so fabulous, so Venus.

11-28-2008   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

aerovlade is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to aerovlade
IGN: ShotInTheHeart
Class: Scientist to_lion
Guild: Ecks T.C.

Gravity cannot be blamed for people falling in love... - Albert Einstein

11-28-2008   #9 (permalink)
Classic.
Games
Trickster Online

TheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the roughTheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the roughTheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to TheRhymenoceros
Class: Professional badass
Level: 27

here's a couple of memorable quotes from the movie Anchorman:

Ron: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!

Brian: It jumped up a notch.

Ron: It did, didn't it?

Brick: Yea, I stabbed a man in the heart.

Ron: I saw that! Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

Brick: Yea, there were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with a trident.

Ron: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safe house or a relative close by because you're probably wanted for murder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brick Tamland: I love...carpet. I love...desk.

Ron Burgundy: Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?

Brick Tamland: I love lamp.

Ron Burgundy: Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

Brick Tamland: I love lamp. I love lamp.

11-28-2008   #10 (permalink)
oh wow
Special

DemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enoughDemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to DemiGodDanzig
IGN: Danzig
Class: College
Guild: Debaters

I love how the quotes went from super serious to just random funny quotes lol
also

""Let me tell you somethin you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep movin' forward. How much you can take and keep movin' forward!""
Rocky Balboa

11-28-2008   #11 (permalink)
Designer

Location: In the Long Ago, when Things were Otherwise and the Moon was Different
Ryugen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryugen
Class: Non-existant lt_treasurehunter
Level: <3

"Rules are there to make you think before you break them." - From the novels of Terry Pratchett

11-30-2008   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Blade & SoulDragon NestDragon SagaDungeon Fighter Online

Byuu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Byuu Send a message via Skype™ to Byuu
IGN: Byuu
Class: Lots lt_guardian
Level: 20-30
Guild: Hurricane

just heard this while playing ToS2
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality"
I liked it, made sense to me :/....

BYUU BYUU!~

12-03-2008   #13 (permalink)
Alerion Radio Head DJ

Toxxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Toxxy Send a message via MSN to Toxxy
Class: Goo Goo Muck lt_treasurehunter
Guild: Empire F

"Killer Klowns...from outer space. Holy shit." -Officer Moonie from Killer Klowns From Outer Space
"I've been using narcotics for 20 years." - Bela Lugosi
"Set up another case bartender! The best thing for a case of nerves is a case of Scotch." - W. C. Fields

12-03-2008   #14 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Suvi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Suvi
IGN: Suvi
Class: Madonna to_primadonna
Level: Journey to 400
Guild: Caballa

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than be loved for who I am not"

-I forgot his name

12-04-2008   #15 (permalink)
Martyed to evil

Eternal has disabled reputation

Though I hold these words for you deep inside my heart
I hope they will reach you one day

^ Does that count o_o

No matter what may await, please don't regret meeting me.

Solomid Guides:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=22360

12-04-2008   #16 (permalink)
oh wow
Special

DemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enoughDemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to DemiGodDanzig
IGN: Danzig
Class: College
Guild: Debaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvi
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than be loved for who I am not"

-I forgot his name
Kurt Cobain,god rest his soul

12-04-2008   #17 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish ; and you have fed him for a lifetime

-Confucius

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, Baffle em' with shit.
-Uknown

"One of the main reasons that it is so easy to march men off to war," says Ernest Becker, is that "each of them feels sorry for the man next to him who will die."
-Annie Dillard

There's a graveyard in northern France where all the dead boys from D-Day are buried. The white crosses reach from one horizon to the other. I remember looking it over and thinking it was a forest of graves. But the rows were like this, dizzying, diagonal, perfectly straight, so after all it wasn't a forest but an orchard of graves. Nothing to do with nature, unless you count human nature.
-Barbara Kingsolver

Last edited by Mysteria; 12-04-2008 at 08:09 PM.

12-05-2008   #18 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

"And there won't be snow in Africa this Winter time . . . "

I always chuckle a bit when I hear this from the song "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

12-06-2008   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

eD3N has a spectacular aura abouteD3N has a spectacular aura abouteD3N has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to eD3N

MY DRILL WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS

Last edited by eD3N; 12-06-2008 at 10:58 PM.

12-06-2008   #20 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

"There's always a fear that someone, somewhere out there is having a good time"

-Anonymous, in describing the Puritans.