07-04-2008   #1 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri
Default Wellness... (Dog/Cat)

Not wellness as in personal health, but a brand of dog and cat food. I know, very weird and random thread from Veil e_e

WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food

Anyway, we just recently got this brand in about a week or two ago? We dont really feed our pets the premium stuff, we just give them whatever my mom gets at the store e__e Not really the best, but thats all we've done the last god knows how many years.

Recently however, one of our cats was diagnosed with 'Inflammatory Bowel Disease.'

Quote:
Inflammatory bowel disease refers to the condition that results when cells involved in inflammation and immune response are called into the lining of the GI tract. This infiltration thickens the bowel lining and interferes with absorption and motility (the ability of the bowel to contract and move food). With abnormal ability to contract and abnormal ability to absorb, the bowel’s function is disrupted. Chronic vomiting results if the infiltration is in the stomach or higher areas of the small intestine. A watery diarrhea with weight loss results if the infiltration is in the lower small intestine. A mucous diarrhea with fresh blood (colitis) results if the infiltration occurs in the large intestine. Of course, the entire tract from top to bottom may be involved. Many people confuse Inflammatory Bowel Disease with “Irritable Bowel Syndrome,” a stress-related diarrhea problem. Treatment for “IBS” is aimed at stress; it is a completely different condition from “IBD.”

Our cat's lost a lot of weight due to this, even now she's pretty skinny. I hate watching her deteriorate on us like this and, I had been considering this brand the last few days, but after a man came in today and talked specifically about the brand, his own personal experience, stories he's heard from friends, and everything else, I was pretty much sold. As soon as he left, I went and grabbed a bag of the Wellness CORE for cats.

Natural Cat and Kitty Food - Wellness CORE

When I came home, I opened up the resealable bag (Kinda surprised that it smelled like fish food lol), grabbed a handful, and went outside to find the cat. Now, she's a very finicky eater, so my mom was kind of doubtful that she'd even touch the stuff. I sat on on the chair next to where she was laying and held out the handful of kibble. She sniffed a couple times at it and literally gobbled the stuff down. She loved it, which in turn convinced my mom to go ahead and try to switch her off the cheap stuff and onto Wellness, despite the $19.99 price tag (For a 5lb bag e_e). Theoretically however, the premium foods are cheaper per serving than the grocery brands due to the fact they'll eat more of the cheaper stuff before they get full.

Im hoping that this will atleast help put some weight back onto her so she doesnt look like a little skeleton anymore e__e Im fairly pleased so far with the reaction the food's gotten from her.

So. What do you guys feed your dogs/cats? Cheap grocery brands or the premium brands? And if you feed them premium, Id like to know what brands you use o:

モノノ怪

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-07-2008   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

Does Premium include Purina One and IMBES (forgot spelling), because thats all we ever really buy our dogs.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

07-07-2008   #3 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

o_O I forgot all about this lol.

Premium brands are going to be the ones that are more holistic and have more natural ingredients, like Solid Gold. Purina's still got corn in it, if I remember right :x Dogs and cats cant really digest corn very well, so you wont see that in the ingredients of a holistic/natural brand.

モノノ怪

07-07-2008   #4 (permalink)
PolandSpring wut!?

KuroKoden will become famous soon enoughKuroKoden will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KuroKoden Send a message via Yahoo to KuroKoden
IGN: KuroKoden

My cat has had IBD before too. It's really a sad sight.

Luckly we caught it early?

So how is yours doing now that you switched, better?

07-07-2008   #5 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

Pfft i feed my cat store brand. i am cheap ass yes.
I probably need to feed her some different stuff, she has gotten too lazy after giving birth.

07-07-2008   #6 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Here's a cat food example for ingredients.

Typical Store Brand:

Quote:
Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Turkey By-Product Meal, Salmon Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Animal Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Calcium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and other Color), Salt, Taurine, Zinc, Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-alanine, Niacin, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Robiflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Citric Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

Wellness CORE:

Quote:
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.

Just looking at the first three ingredients of both of these shows you a HUGE difference. In addition to corn, a lot of store brands also have plenty of by-product ingredients.

モノノ怪

07-07-2008   #7 (permalink)
/OREYA!
Games
MabinogiLeague of LegendsSudden AttackScions of Fate

n00bE is on a distinguished road
IGN: n00bE
Class: Loli
Level: 3.14159265
Guild: Trolls

If that cat eats that like everyday then its getting better food than me XD

07-08-2008   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

From what I've noticed, price wise, the "more natural" and "premium" ones that I've seen, cost a bit much as it is, to feed my two dogs, one small (not toy) and one medium. We will stick to the name brand one.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

07-08-2008   #9 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

They usually will eat more of the store brand to get full, whereas they'll fill up faster with the natural brands since they absorb more. Most people usually wont believe it, but it is actually cheaper per serving for the premmie brands.

モノノ怪

07-08-2008   #10 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

Eh I wouldn't believe i need Evidence.
Oh and are you plugging for these guys lmao?

07-08-2008   #11 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

No, Im not actually o_O Go measure the amounts yourself. More often than not you'll end up feeding less of a premmie brand than of a store brand. Google it while youre at it?

Throw Away Your Store Brand Pet Food

Quote:
It’s important to remember that just because store brand pet food is less expensive than premium pet food, it’s not necessarily cheaper to feed store brand pet food to your dog. Because premium brand pet food is more rich in nutrients, you can get away with feeding less of it to your dog while still giving your pet all of the nutrition that he or she needs.

You've seen the store/premium ingredient example I gave, right? The store brands usually have a lot of filler ingredients, so a dog/cat needs to eat more of it to really get anything out of the food.

I wasn't really aware of most of this myself til a few months back (Hell, I didn't care?), but since I work in a pet store right now, Im practically obligated to know this. Its definitely a huge difference.

モノノ怪

Last edited by Kusuriuri; 07-08-2008 at 12:49 AM.

07-10-2008   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Chobits has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Chobits

I dunno what to say Veil! D: My kitties have been eating Wellness for years and they have been insanely healthy. The disease your pet may have been contracted may not really be related to food at all because from my experience it's been good.

What could be possible is that your pet has become sick due to the rapid change in food. It's actually really bad to not have a stable brand of pet food for your pet because they need to get adjusted to one taste and it's certain nutrients and stuff.

I hope it gets better D:

07-10-2008   #13 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Kupo is on a distinguished road

It's not really as bad as that website says it is to feed your cats/dogs certain dry foods.

You really just need to check the ingredients though, make sure that animal meat is the first ingredients, small amount of corn and wheat products, check protein and fat percentages. Cats should have more water in their diets. Dry food may not have enough and cat's may choose not to drink much. Sometimes it's a good idea to add a little water to their food if they would eat it that way. My cat's not diabetic, but she does drink after her meals so I don't have to worry too much.

Honestly, extra 'special' ingredients like cranberries wouldn't make much sense, like some of the other ones listed. They would never choose to eat them alone, much less the wild. Also, some cats are actually allergic to fish products, so if someones cat is having digestive problems, it may be just that. It's just a good idea to feed your animals the best you can afford, many of these foods are incredibly expensive.

07-10-2008   #14 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobits
I dunno what to say Veil! D: My kitties have been eating Wellness for years and they have been insanely healthy. The disease your pet may have been contracted may not really be related to food at all because from my experience it's been good.
.. Who said it was the food o_O I stated I was switching off the cheap, corn-infested foods to Wellness to see if she ATLEAST gains some of her weight back. Lmao.

@Kupo, Agree with berries lol. And yes, Im quite aware that some cats can be allergic to fish. However, the problem didnt have anything to do with a fish allergy in the first place, seeing as we dont feed her anything with fish even in it? :x Shes not really big on fish products in the first place.

モノノ怪

07-10-2008   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Chobits has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Chobits

Oh, sorry then. I was multi-tasking playing FFT2A so I wasn't paying a lot of attention XD