Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-30-2013   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Ghostfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questing and the Future of MMOs

Big fan of Final Fantasy but I'm starting to find the main scenario quests boring and tedious. I'm level 30 and it seems that most of the quests consist of talk to this person, talk to that person, interact with an object, maybe fight 2-3 enemies, talk to someone, teleport, talk to another person...

Whats worse is you have to constantly travel across the globe to talk to this person, just to travel back 10 seconds later.

This comic really describes how I feel:

Final Fantasy MMORPG - Quest Fetcher | 8BitGamer

Do you guys think MMOs will always take a "grind till you cap" approach? Do you think theres anyway to make questing more bearable or new for players?

Have any other MMOs done questing in a better way?.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-30-2013   #2 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Guild Wars 2 did questing in a way that I approve of.
There are multiple ways to complete an area quest, and you never have to talk to the person to obtain them. Just walk into the area and it will tell you what you can do to gain credit. There are MANY ways to earn credit, so you can pick what interests you most. When completed you just walk off to another area, no talking to anything.

Some quests are also dynamic and appear after a while. This makes it interesting in that you think all is well, when suddenly the town is being set ablaze and you're in trouble.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

10-30-2013   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

I've heard good things about that game my only issue was I also found out there's no end game (raiding) and it's a PvP game...I'm more of a PvE player...but the leveling does sound interesting. I'll have to look into it.

10-30-2013   #4 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfreak
I've heard good things about that game my only issue was I also found out there's no end game (raiding) and it's a PvP game...I'm more of a PvE player...but the leveling does sound interesting. I'll have to look into it.
I put good money into it and was hyped up.
It's a great game... until the end, when you have nothing to earn, dungeons are pointless, and you can die to level 2 monsters because the area level adjustment is a bit too harsh when you're supposed to be well equipped.

I quit because of nothing to do (Besides PvP and WvW), but mostly the economy. You can't make money, and arenanet would punish you for finding a surefire way to do so without buying with gems.

It has been a year since then, but they failed to deliver what they promised and I don't hear anything that indicates they have yet.

10-30-2013   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I put good money into it and was hyped up.
It's a great game... until the end, when you have nothing to earn, dungeons are pointless, and you can die to level 2 monsters because the area level adjustment is a bit too harsh when you're supposed to be well equipped.

I quit because of nothing to do (Besides PvP and WvW), but mostly the economy. You can't make money, and arenanet would punish you for finding a surefire way to do so without buying with gems.

It has been a year since then, but they failed to deliver what they promised and I don't hear anything that indicates they have yet.
Oh wow...Have any MMOs replaced your time? Final Fantasy is ok...but it brings absolutely nothing new to the table...

I've love a fresh take on the MMO genre.

10-30-2013   #6 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Quote:
Oh wow...Have any MMOs replaced your time? Final Fantasy is ok...but it brings absolutely nothing new to the table...

I've love a fresh take on the MMO genre.
I was losing interest before GW2 convinced me to give MMO's another go. Since then I have only played an occasional league of legend game with friends.

Outside of visiting Maplestory once a week, I haven't laid a finger on another.

10-31-2013   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
I was losing interest before GW2 convinced me to give MMO's another go. Since then I have only played an occasional league of legend game with friends.

Outside of visiting Maplestory once a week, I haven't laid a finger on another.
Occasional? I'm surprised you survived. The game is addicting as hell.

I played this day and night...The only reason I stopped was because the community was literally composed of no one over the age of 13. I think LoL should really win "Worst Gaming Community of the Year" award.

On top of that Riot never balanced anything around a central point, new champions were never scaled or tested just released into the public followed by months of bad balancing.

Thank the gaming gods Light that you survived the god-awful plague that is called League of Legends.

10-31-2013   #8 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

Quote:
Do you guys think MMOs will always take a "grind till you cap" approach? Do you think theres anyway to make questing more bearable or new for players?

Have any other MMOs done questing in a better way?.
Every game will have that basic approach as a backbone. And that's simply because it helps keep something flowing. It's just up to the developers to come up with alternative ways to play the game -- whether it be efficient or not.

I'll use World of Warcraft as an example, only because it's the most recent MMORPG I've played for an extended amount of time (nearly 4 years straight).

Questing can be very tiresome in the game. A lot of it is your basic "kill x and get y" or "use item s on NPC t." That's totally acceptable; the idea behind that is you need to exercise/practice your skills in some task whether it be mundane like killing vermin off your farm or trying to rescue a certain character from death. Then there's the quests that are more story-bound, where you "play through an NPC's fadeout scene." One in particular that I will always be fond of is The Day that Deathwing Came: What Really Happened - Quest - World of Warcraft wherein you play as the NPC going about his story about how he witnessed Deathwing's destruction after he got done picking up some girl (or Male Blood Elf) and taking her for a ride around. That bit of humor and just "something different than running around talking to NPCs and killing enemies" to keep quests refreshing.

But aside from the usual grind, people don't seem to realize that there's a bunch of other activities to do in a game besides hit cap and PvP/PvE to your heart's content. Warcraft has Battle Pets, both collecting and fighting. A lot of people look down on it because it's a "Pokemon rip-off," but in reality it's actually kind of fun. You get to do something other than spamming trade and general chat to fill a raid PUG for hours only to have half your group leave after the first wipe. Dofus, which I used to play, and FFXIV, which I currently casually play, have an expanded crafting-professions system that you can spend your time excelling at.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

11-04-2013   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

twinblade is on a distinguished road

MMOs will always that kind of mechanic just like what was said in the previous posts.
I mean Aika Online has that, even Granado Espada has that...because that will always be a part of an MMO or MMORPG to be exact. You play a role on that world and do stuff in it.
Although that role seem to be all the same to most players I think but yeah, the grinding and farming for materials is always that MMO-ish IMO. If you really enjoy a particular MMO you end up setting your own goals looking for new challenges and seek to get better items and hone your skills to beat those challenges you've accepted or to reach the goals you've set.
I don't have much MMORPG experience but I played some RPG games in consoles and they're pretty much similar except the PVP one but yeah, like what was said in some post I read, it's where the story is told. The part where you "prove yourself" is just the gaming element of it I guess.

11-04-2013   #10 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblade
The part where you "prove yourself" is just the gaming element of it I guess.
This is one element that pisses me off when it comes to questing.

For example in Maple the NPC's would say "You need to prove yourself able to handle this task!".

You're level 180, you're armed to the teeth in magical gear, and you've killed the strongest bosses known to mankind.
Yet I have to prove myself to YOU by collecting 70 knight emblems before I can continue?

**** you dude.

How about you let me through the gate before I destroy your entire country with my power to cause complete Armageddon with 50 mana, shithead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaBaka
But aside from the usual grind, people don't seem to realize that there's a bunch of other activities to do in a game besides hit cap and PvP/PvE to your heart's content.
GW2 has side games in it. Outside of taking a short break, you earn nothing from it outside of achievements. So it's not that interesting to play when it has little to offer.

Some games like Maplestory and Conquer 2.0 also included side games that do affect the game, but aren't all that interesting and complicated to figure out.

It's certainly a mixed bag, and it's difficult to please everyone.

11-07-2013   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

twinblade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is one element that pisses me off when it comes to questing.

For example in Maple the NPC's would say "You need to prove yourself able to handle this task!".

You're level 180, you're armed to the teeth in magical gear, and you've killed the strongest bosses known to mankind.
Yet I have to prove myself to YOU by collecting 70 knight emblems before I can continue?

**** you dude.
yeah. That's game logic for you.
I find it funny when an NPC says "Kill <insert monster here> to prove yourself." and you already killed it before but your character is too shy to be a badass and just say "I freakin' pawned that son of a ***** a long time ago." or sometimes I wonder if that monster can be found several miles away from where the NPC is...how would he/she know I've killed it?