ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   "The Newsroom" on HBO (http://ggftw.com/forum/general-discussion/115465-newsroom-hbo.html)

iTaker 07-30-2012 11:07 PM

"The Newsroom" on HBO

This is the best youtube I've ever seen in my whole life. It's sad but it's true. Explicit language in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m...EJnl3PtXASTGmA

Tardar 07-30-2012 11:31 PM

Don't even get me started on how wrong this is in every aspect.

Torikakae 07-31-2012 04:02 AM

I always love it when someone smacks the truth in delusional people's faces.

How is this "News and Current Events" though?

iTaker 07-31-2012 12:58 PM

I'm not sure really but i wasn't sure where to put it. And how is this video wrong? lol

LauraMix 07-31-2012 01:10 PM

I chuckled at this.

Tardar 07-31-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroyer68 (Post 1753043)
I'm not sure really but i wasn't sure where to put it. And how is this video wrong? lol

Buckle up.

In advance, I did my best to direct quote. Also done in like half an hour so typos galore.
Spoiler!

iTaker 07-31-2012 07:43 PM

I actually think what he says is quite accurate. The last part where he says how we used to be is kinda far fetched, but the opening to me is completely true. I cant figure out whether or not you agree with the general answer of yes we are or no were not.

And no need to say you like I'm the one who said whats in the video. Also statistics dont get blinded just because were a big country. Fact is were behind in a lot of things we shouldnt be behind in.

War on poverty is fixing poverty. What he means by that is that were trying to take away from them instead of helping them (obviously its not that simple).

And just for the sake of saying it. Our space program has to be privately funded now. As far as actual space exploration were not that near the top anymore.

I feel like you didn't really grasp the whole idea of the video and why people like it. Basically he's just saying overall were not so called the "greatest country in the world."

Tardar 07-31-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroyer68 (Post 1753193)
I actually think what he says is quite accurate. The last part where he says how we used to be is kinda far fetched, but the opening to me is completely true. I cant figure out whether or not you agree with the general answer of yes we are or no were not.

And no need to say you like I'm the one who said whats in the video. Also statistics dont get blinded just because were a big country. Fact is were behind in a lot of things we shouldnt be behind in.

War on poverty is fixing poverty. What he means by that is that were trying to take away from them instead of helping them (obviously its not that simple).

And just for the sake of saying it. Our space program has to be privately funded now. As far as actual space exploration were not that near the top anymore.

I feel like you didn't really grasp the whole idea of the video and why people like it. Basically he's just saying overall were not so called the "greatest country in the world."

1) "Greatest" is a subjective term to begin with, so he can say we're not the greatest nation all he wants while someone from Bangladesh can wish they were living in the greatest nation (their greatest nation).

2) Don't know what you mean by the first sentence, it's so poorly worded. Percentages and "real" numbers can shift statistics in your favor. While the U.S. has the most people who "believe in angels," a country like Pakistan is more religious as a greater proportion of the country is religious.
We'll never catch up in education because we're a big country that has education as a state job, rather than a federal job. Maryland can easily place as one of the best countries in education if it were its own country. All the meanwhile Louisiana's education system sucks so naturally it brings the rest of us down. Some things we are behind in because we have more immigrants. Immigrants who tend to work harder jobs as well as take poorer care of themselves bring town life expectancy easily. Yeah we're behind in things, duh. Some things we have no control over, however.

3) On space: We're one of around six countries with launch capabilities. We're one of three who have sent people into space. Just because it's privately funded doesn't mean it's behind. (ps, there's around 70 space agencies in the world)

4) I did get the point of the video. From what I've seen, the only reason people like it is that they're so easily manipulated by presentation of media. It is my personal opinion that if you don't think the country you are living in is the greatest country in the world, you need to be packing you bags and renouncing your citizenship to move to your greatest country. I'm not saying you have to do it immediately, but at the same time, it should be on your agenda to leave if you don't think your country is so great.

iTaker 07-31-2012 08:48 PM

In your responses you said "you" as if i was the one saying these things. Me personally? I would say America has diminished quite a bit. I wasn't "manipulated" by this video at all.

I still stand by that our country is behind in a lot more things than it should be. I can tell you that most people aren't that happy with our space program. Just saying. I never said the country wasn't a great place to live, and the video doesn't say that either. It says were not like some godly country that everyone should come running too acting like salvation is here.

Don't want it to get out of hand. Just posted the video to show a good response to an often asked and often assumed thing about the country. Have your own opinions if you wish, but nitpicking about it isn't the way to go.

Nihil679 07-31-2012 09:51 PM

So when does this show air and what channel?

Tardar 07-31-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihil679 (Post 1753296)
So when does this show air and what channel?

It's on HBO. I don't know what time it airs, but I saw it come on at around 7:00pm once. You definitely need to start at the beginning/near beginning or else you'll be lost.

Torikakae 08-01-2012 06:20 AM

You should listen to some of Neil Degrasse Tyson's lectures and forums to get an inside view on how the US Space programs (and US science in general) are lagging behind.

Bolter 08-01-2012 07:57 AM

don't really understand it

kag 08-01-2012 09:49 AM

Not an American but from my perspective i see America is a country heavily controlled by money.
I know every country has that problem but in America it seems to be getting bad.
SOPA, PIPA, Tax cuts for rich/corporations, paying off debt with tax payers money while the people at fault didn't pay a single dime, healthcare system based on insurance

Freedom wise: NSA doing things that they like just because they have power, Net neutrality, mobile carriers controlling lots of stuff cause FCC/whoever doesn't care (not sure if this really counts), lots of controlled news/media

That's the perspective i get at this point of time, note that i can be wrong cause i don't live there and information on the internet can be skewed. And i don't know much about constitution, liberal, democrats, republicans and stuff like these.