ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Game Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/)
-   -   Dark Souls (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/82542-dark-souls.html)

iFarted 09-17-2010 06:49 PM

Dark Souls

So I've started playing Demon's Souls a week ago and I'm quite enjoying it so far.

Anyways,
Quote:

Announced by From Software at Sonyís Tokyo Game Show media briefing, Project Dark was specifically called out as a game for fans of the companyís last RPG. Demonís Souls, released by Sony in Japan and by Atlus in the West, was a surprise hit, winning fans over with its difficult but addictive gameplay.
Low quality Trailer:

Anybody interested?

FilipinoReject96 09-17-2010 07:47 PM

Demon's Souls 2? Me likey.

I loved the first one, but I never got around to finishing it.

Can't wait for this <3

Paul 09-18-2010 05:29 PM

I'll try maybe.

I enjoyed Demon Souls, though it got boring and annoying after the first play through. Needs better Online/Multi-player Co-Op.

iFarted 06-17-2011 11:43 PM

necrobump..

http://omg.wthax.org/1308281826153.png

very slowpoke information dumping:

Dark Souls coming out for PS3/360 on October 4, 2011.

Bartholomew Trailer:

Tubedubber Youtube Dubber - Dub the soundtrack on Youtube videos

Other old trailers and other videos:
Spoiler!

So, let's see.. Here's what I have heard/seen so far. Feel free to add.

-Magic is now revamped. No manabar, but instead, you get a limit on how many times you can cast a certain spell. You can refill your spells at bonfires, I think.
-Each time you light up a bonfire, you lose humanity. Haven't really researched what humanity does yet.
-Open World, you start off in a prison
-Everytime you beat a boss and ring the bell, players within the vicinity will be able to hear your ringing.
-Up to 3 black phantoms invading. I think the max is 3. I could be wrong.
-There's also this new item that if you use it, you can summon black bad guys or something into another player's world. It'll keep summoning baddies until the other player finds the item that you dropped and destroy it... I think. Edit: aka GRAVELORD

New Edit:
More new info (mostly copy and pasted from other sites, might've repeated some same info, but oh well):
-Siding with factions aligns you with certain NPCs. The knights will side with you if you are with Gwyn. Certain wild animals will side with you if you side with Izilith.
-Gwyn has lightning magic, faith, etc.
-Nito has status effects and summoning monsters to fight for you, along with stone of gravemind
-Izilith has pyromancy and magic along with the ability to have player phantoms invade Book of the Guilty people for you
-4th covenant is hidden but has yellow phantoms
-Kirk, the thorned knight in the new trailer, is order the rule of Nito
-All faction leaders are bosses that you can either avoid, befriend, or kill.
-Rolling invincibility frames gone (or at least harder to exploit)
-Blue and black phantoms can only heal by healing magic (AoE healing spells confirmed)
-Game is 3 times larger than Demon's Souls
-Game has double the gear of Demon's Souls
-What chests are mimics is random but you can tell if they are Mimics by seeing the option when you get to them. If it's "Open", it's a Mimic. If it's "Pillage treasure chest", it's okay.
-Cross game chat disabled for Xbox 360 version
-Modified weight limits. The heavier you are, are the worse you are at rolling but the sturdier you are. You cannot raise the weight limit to be able to roll easily with any armor.
-Upgradable armor
-There are over 20 areas in the game (areas that display a name when you enter them)
-There are areas that have no impact on the main story (bonus areas.) In one of these areas, there is a secret covenant that can only be obtained at this particular location (director Miyazaki's favorite covenant)
-There are 3 status effects: bleed, poison, and curse. Curse in particular is a very nasty status effect
-You cannot reverse the status points allocated to your character
-You can add elemental effects to weapons through forging
-There is a new weapon category called "giant bow," which is a bow that is as big as the player and fires projectiles the size of spears
-The total of sorceries, pyromancies, and miracles is over 60
-Humanity can be obtained from items, humans or enemies who used to be human
-Humanity affects item drop rate, resistance to curse and affects some spells and weapons
-Only players with humanity can summon phantoms to help them
-In Co-Op, players who successfully aided a host are rewarded with humanity. In addition, players may be awarded additional benefits based on what covenant they have
-Invasions can occur for three different reasons:
1) To steal another players humanity
2) To steal a valuable item away from another player
3) To punish a player for betraying something
-Director Miyazaki recommends two miracles to players: the "force" miracle and the "requesting aid" miracle. The "requesting aid" miracle allows the player to see a bunch of messages from other players
-Vitality remains the same.
-Attunement is a revamped Intelligence. Increases your mana bar and item drop rates. No longer necessary to gain magic slots.
-Endurance was nerfed. No longer gives your resistance to fire and status effects. Mostly there for the items you can carry and the stamina. However, now it gives a slight boost to your physical defense.
-Strength was buffed. Now speeds up the animation speed of your attacks as well as increasing damage to some weapons.
-Dexterity was changed. Increases damage for some weapons and the effectiveness of your rolls, jumps and back-steps.
-Resistance is now what gives you defense against fire, bleeding and poison.
-Intelligence is the new magic. Raises the strength of your sorceries and pyromancies and the slots available for them. Also, resistance to curses
-Faith raises your magic resistance, and gives you slots for miracles.

About Undead Form
-You can revive from Undead Form to Living Form by offering humanity to the bonfire
-During Undead Form:
1) You cannot summon players to help you
2) You cannot kindle the flame to increase the amount of Estus Flasks you carry
3) Your maximum HP stays the same
4) You will look undead
~About Multiplayer~
-Your phantom will look different based on what Covenant you have
-The "Dark Wraiths" is a Covenant. With this Covenant, you can invade players to steal their humanity (the most basic form of invasion)
-A player who was killed by an invader can write the invader's name in the "Book of the Guilty." Players of a particular Covenant can select a name from this list, invade their world as an "Blue Spirit of Revenge" (shown in one of the earlier screen shots) and kill them.
-The total number of phantoms that can play in the host's game is 3. This includes helping phantoms and invading phantoms. By default, 2 helping phantoms and 1 invading phantom can be in the host's game, but based on the situation there can be more invading phantoms.
-You can still acquire humanity offline
~About Character Creation~
-The Depraved has a higher starting level then the other classes, and thus starts with higher stats
-Game play wise and story wise, there will be no restrictions based on which class you choose
-All starting equipment of each class can be obtained later in the game
-The only gift that does not exist in game is the "Master Key" This gift is the only on that has a significant impact on the game (However, Director Miyazaki recommends that you choose this for your succeeding play throughs rather than your first)
-Miyazaki recommends starting with the "Pendant" or no gift at all
-There are no gender restrictions for wearing certain equipment (guys can wear dresses)
~About Game Play~
-The magic charge system was implemented to broaden the uses of magic
-Like in DS, equipping magic takes up slots, and the amount of magics you can equip is based on how many slots the spell costs, and how many slots your character has
-It is possible to equip duplicate spells on to your character, thereby increasing the maximum charges of that spell
-Weapons of the same class may not share the same swings, therefore you should test every weapon you find
~About Forging~
-There are two ways to forge weapons: "Enhancing" and "Transcending"
-Enhancements are your basic "+1" or "+2" type of upgrades
-All blacksmiths can enhance weapons. You can also enhance your own weapons at the bonfire
-Transcends change the elements of your weapons
-Only blacksmiths can perform transcends. Each blacksmith can only perform one type of transcend
-About half of the blacksmiths require you to have a "Spark" (the Kanji is "Seed of Fire" in order for them to transcend your weapon

J0SH2 06-20-2011 01:47 PM

Loved Demon's Souls, but never finished it lol....
Anyway, i plan on Pre-ordering it for the metal case + extras since its the same price of buying it when it comes out(in other words, still 60 bucks)

Eden 06-21-2011 08:50 PM

Haha yeah man, I'm pretty damn excited for this and the pre-order bonus is sweet.

Poople 07-07-2011 01:34 PM

Revali 07-07-2011 02:46 PM

My expectations are pretty high for this release, now to wait~

iFarted 09-07-2011 07:11 PM

I am sorry for necrobumping.

Here are some prologue videos that I thought were cool.

I also added new information to my previous post.

Prologue Videos:
Spoiler!

Dark Souls OST Previews

Eden 09-07-2011 07:43 PM

I like how they don't restrict clothes/armors by gender.

TRAPS, TRAPS EVERYWHERE

Metty 09-08-2011 06:27 AM

I preordered my copy last week, hoping they don't use the Demons Souls version of coop again as I want to actually be able to coop with my friend who's getting it and not some random person who died.

Metty 09-19-2011 07:32 AM

New Info:
Dark Souls Forum &bull; View topic - Dark Souls 9/18 Event Recap and Notes ver.1.2

In short, whips, possible dual wielding of whips as well as flying guillotines. I was going to do a Guts mode run but now, now it's Belmont time *****es!

iFarted 09-26-2011 01:22 PM

I didn't get the chance to see the whip in action in one of the Japanese streams D:
I hope the weapon is fun. I think I will still be going Guts modo for my first run.

Also, there are a total of 9 covenants.

And I uploaded the soundtrack on youtube if you guys want to hear it.
Orobauche's Channel - YouTube

Metty 09-26-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iFarted (Post 1609270)
I didn't get the chance to see the whip in action in one of the Japanese streams D:
I hope the weapon is fun. I think I will still be going Guts modo for my first run.

Also, there are a total of 9 covenants.

And I uploaded the soundtrack on youtube if you guys want to hear it.
Orobauche's Channel - YouTube

10 covenants actually.
Massive Spoiler:
Spoiler!

Whips seems to be a dex based weapon so all the streams with it have done crap damage.

iFarted 09-26-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metty (Post 1609276)
10 covenants actually.
Massive Spoiler:
Spoiler!

Holy crap.

Metty 09-26-2011 06:16 PM

This may interest you regarding whips.
Dark Souls Video Game, Undead Days: Where There's A Whip There's A Way HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Paul 09-30-2011 06:24 PM

The whip... looks like complete crap. Lol...

J0SH2 10-01-2011 05:26 PM

Alright! So my pre-order just sent me an email and it comes in on Oct. 4th with the free pre-order game upgrade thing.

Paul 10-04-2011 02:27 PM

Game.. is... out... Amazon didn't even ship mines yet. Means I won't get it til tomorrow. /sadface.

Metty 10-04-2011 04:40 PM

Shameless promotion time for those interested once Friday comes (UK release)
My Dark Souls Live Stream - Blog

Updating it with URL of the stream Thursday night.