Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-16-2010   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^
Awards MoM AwardFacebook Fan

TheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to TheBlackCatXIII
IGN: TheBlackCatXIII
Class: Sense to_scientist
Default Defense of the Ancients (DotA)

There should be a handful of dota players out there =P that also play other games due to the intense and draining nature of the game o-o. Not exactly one of those games that u'd like to spend hours and hours playing without feeling tired.

Discuss all about dota here!

a few suggestion for discussion:
Hero balances
Items
Professional League players
and more.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
is a pretty cool guy.

Coffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Coffee
IGN: Nashi

I used to play. Then I moved on to HoN. :/

I have a friend who plays TDA constantly though.

08-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^

TheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlackCatXIII is a glorious beacon of light

hmm, one or two of my friends moved to HoN also, except came back dota after it was paid to play. They also said Dota is somewhat better in it's own way xD. HoN's graphics beats dota's any day tho xD.
How are hero balances in HoN? any good =o?

08-19-2010   #4 (permalink)
FABULOUS MILKSHAKES
Games
Ragnarok Online
Awards Twitter Fan

Milkshakes is a jewel in the roughMilkshakes is a jewel in the roughMilkshakes is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Lady GaGa
Class: Pop Star lt_bard
Level: ∞
Guild: Haus Of GaGa

I don't like DOTA, people in the Philippines always ruin it for me. DOTA turns people into swearing, smelly truckers. It' just horrible, man!
(Never going to an internet cafe ever again o.e)

08-19-2010   #5 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAion

Kirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Gladiyeytor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshakes
I don't like DOTA, people in the Philippines always ruin it for me. DOTA turns people into swearing, smelly truckers. It' just horrible, man!
There's always Garena where you wouldn't hear any yanking at all.

The first time I played Tiny, I got hooked.

-Lt.Commander Yonem Kirks, African Zeon Remnants

08-19-2010   #6 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII
hmm, one or two of my friends moved to HoN also, except came back dota after it was paid to play. They also said Dota is somewhat better in it's own way xD. HoN's graphics beats dota's any day tho xD.
How are hero balances in HoN? any good =o?
Balance is pretty decent. They imported Rexxar, Storm Spirit, Dwarven Sniper and Kanaka(sp?) over the past few months. Haven't played it in awhile though.
HoNWiki has all of the comparisons on it though as I was never a DoTA player.

08-19-2010   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethelberht
There's always Garena where you wouldn't hear any yanking at all.

The first time I played Tiny, I got hooked.
lol, that's a big part of dota. wheneva i play dota, i expect people to do it. i still remember back when i first started playing, i was so crap at it xD, and got banned / flamed for playing bad. But as time went by i start knowing what to do and play better, i soon found myself getting frustrated and annoyed when someone on team doesn't know what he's doing and feeds etc. though usually if they're humble and listen, i tell them what they can do and not get angry at all. It's just those guys who stays quiet or even worse, talks big while they're playing bad really gets me frustrated / annoyed. But generally i'm cool with friendly newbies, tell them that i was once like them etc, they usually start playing better too when we start accepting them being new to the game, it's just the psychology of the game. DoTA is one of those games u're better off playing with a cool head rather than under pressure and stuff.

Hooks are extremely hard to avoid unless u're experienced. Actually, it's a competition of experience when hooking / dodging hook. The more experienced player will get the less experienced player. Luck also plays a pivitol role of course (an aspect of the game that should not be overlooked) =P

Hero Balances in DoTA is close to perfection. Icefrog always work to bring more balances to the heroes and items. The Nerfing of AA's Ulti was a really fair nerf, even tho the cooldown @ level 3 is more than doubled (from 20 to 25 secs), it is still one of my favourite ultimate in the game. Having that said, AA is still an extremely versatile hero in the game, just need to play him like sniper at times, stay back and wait for your turn to go in.

08-19-2010   #8 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

There is a form of dota remake on Starcraft II.

I kind of like it, but it's really difficult to play when you've got mostly newbies (including myself), and two or three pros on the opposing team.
Our ass gets handed to us so quickly, it becomes quite boring.

That and they were really good at "Denied!" timing, so they were levels ahead in no time.
---

of course I'm not talking about the real deal, but rather my experience in a related game type.

It had a charm to it which I enjoyed; it's just frustrating to play when you know absolutely nothing about the heroes, and item combination's best suited for your hero.
Then everyone rages at you, and the enemy team taunts you and constantly gang rapes your ass whenever your noob team leaves you alone.

I wouldn't go out and buy Warcraft III just to play this game type, but I'd sure enjoy learning it better.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

08-20-2010   #9 (permalink)
Retired
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

zgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to zgmfx19a
IGN: Nek0 / Nek0Yasha(RIP)
Class: Zooks

Used to play it during the 5.84c era all the way to 6.58(i think). That's like a solid 3-4 years I think.

During my 3rd year I got really serious and started to read all sorts of stuff about it, wrote 2 crappy hero guides, and spent my school days theory-crafting with my friends and practicing daily in the school computer lab.

Then I kinda get bored and just moved on after stopping it during army.

@Light
Yeah, you really need to have a good grasp of the game in theory before you can start doing well. Of course, stuff like denying, last kills, creep locking and stuff adds another level to your game.

Last edited by zgmfx19a; 08-20-2010 at 03:15 AM.

08-20-2010   #10 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Games

Kirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond repute

Now it's like ver. 6.68c here in the Philippines already, but everyone keeps on playing the game.

I do too, especially when I'm with my friends.

08-20-2010   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^

yea, 6.68c is latest version. DoTA is only getting better now. I'm sure Icefrog was more or less frustrated seeing the asian teams farming like no tomorow in their games and actually got themselves a win doing it. I can still clearly remember the famous Visage farming 3 lanes scene.. LOL and then weeks later, no more imba number of bats to 2 bats o-o. While Europeans lost even with their close to perfection teamwork and brilliant players. That's why the new patch's items and gold in assist is obviously his first step to get the game out of the whole farming thing, so at very least, farming is not encouraged anymore. Ganking on the other hand is encouraged.

Last hitting in the future may be less significant but i mean, there's no harm in trying. just attack a creep just before it dies ain't that hard @_@. But u'd do whateva u can to harass / gank.
If you interested in getting better at the game, i'm not sure if this is the best procedure but that's how i got better and become an average player =S. Play 1 hero for weeks, know how the game works first what / how to gank, when to push, when to defend, wat are some of the in and outs of items, see enough heroes and their abilities. Focus on those things first before u even try to play other heroes and get different items. After u start understanding the early, mid and late game strategies / varities, that's when it's beneficial for you to start playing other heroes and learn the items. Tho those 2 things should be kept separate, items are depended upon the situation, to overcome a particular weakness or sharpen your edge in the game.
After that, it is time to develop your own playstyle through experience, u'll naturally find that u're good at certain heroes, for me i started feeling that i play those versatile heroes a lot better than the others (the jacks of all trades but master of none). After that, only experience can take u to anything further.

08-20-2010   #12 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCatXIII
yea, 6.68c is latest version. DoTA is only getting better now. I'm sure Icefrog was more or less frustrated seeing the asian teams farming like no tomorow in their games and actually got themselves a win doing it. I can still clearly remember the famous Visage farming 3 lanes scene.. LOL and then weeks later, no more imba number of bats to 2 bats o-o. While Europeans lost even with their close to perfection teamwork and brilliant players. That's why the new patch's items and gold in assist is obviously his first step to get the game out of the whole farming thing, so at very least, farming is not encouraged anymore. Ganking on the other hand is encouraged.

Last hitting in the future may be less significant but i mean, there's no harm in trying. just attack a creep just before it dies ain't that hard @_@. But u'd do whateva u can to harass / gank.
If you interested in getting better at the game, i'm not sure if this is the best procedure but that's how i got better and become an average player =S. Play 1 hero for weeks, know how the game works first what / how to gank, when to push, when to defend, wat are some of the in and outs of items, see enough heroes and their abilities. Focus on those things first before u even try to play other heroes and get different items. After u start understanding the early, mid and late game strategies / varities, that's when it's beneficial for you to start playing other heroes and learn the items. Tho those 2 things should be kept separate, items are depended upon the situation, to overcome a particular weakness or sharpen your edge in the game.
After that, it is time to develop your own playstyle through experience, u'll naturally find that u're good at certain heroes, for me i started feeling that i play those versatile heroes a lot better than the others (the jacks of all trades but master of none). After that, only experience can take u to anything further.
I'm only good with strength types and some agility types, but I can say that I'm pretty good with DW and SP as well.

08-20-2010   #13 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW MasterFacebook Fan

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to k0n
IGN: [JW]
Class: Hisui
Level: ****
Guild: YEAH

Fixed the thread title for you, "DotA". Also, anyone reading about DotA 2?

Also, last hitting is everything in DotA throughout the whole game. It speeds up your item builds and denies money and experience to your opponents. It matters a whole lot since most team builds rely on not only team work but how fast you can gain advantage. Ganking also provides money, but not as quick as farming. In most team builds, usually one attains high amounts of farm while the rest starts ganking the other team to slow their farm down. Though, there are so many ways to plan out your team builds.

I've been playing with my friends here in the Philippines as well as in the States. All I can say is that there's a lot of people who don't understand how a strong team is formed. Often times people start flaming each other due to mistakes but people should understand that unless money is involved, it's just a game.

European teams differ from Asian teams because European players tend to adapt a "free style" build using team micro to compensate the weaknesses. Asian teams tend to follow a "cookie-cutter" build although through analysis tends to increase maximum damage and farm rate, despite it's predictability. I'm not saying one is better than the other. It's just that I see this in most competitive replays.

Last edited by k0n; 08-20-2010 at 07:49 PM.

08-20-2010   #14 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0n
Fixed the thread title for you, "DotA". Also, anyone reading about DotA 2?

Also last hitting is everything in DotA if you never pay attention to it. It speeds up your item builds and denies money and experience to your opponents. It matters a whole lot since most team builds rely on not only team work but how fast you can gain advantage.

I've been playing with my friends here in the Philippines as well as in the States. All I can say is that there's a lot of people who don't understand how a strong team is formed. Often times people start flaming each other due to mistakes but people should understand that unless money is involved, it's just a game.
DotA II?

You mean LoL?

08-20-2010   #15 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite, though LoL has some dispute over the "DotA" trademark right now. Valve is trying to work with IceFrog with a new version of DotA. Blogs have stated that even the voice for Duke Nukem is the new announce for the game.

Here's recent blogs about the progress so far:
Quote:
Valve, the company behind Half-Life, has filled in a trademark application for 'DOTA' under the "computer and electronic game software" file.
GosuGamers DotA | News: Valve to trademark 'DotA' - release getting closer?

Quote:
So far there has been no information released regarding IceFrog's latest DotA project with Valve. But now we get a trickle of information via Jon St. John's, better known as the voice behind Duke Nukem, twitter account.
GosuGamers DotA | News: The voice of DotA 2

08-20-2010   #16 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Games

Oooh, new stuff to look forward to.

08-20-2010   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^

I love watching Europeans playing a lot more than Asian league players. (though i'm asian myself xD). IT's just SO BORING!!! farms all game and dominates after farming. Whereas Europeans got amazing team work and real time strategies.
Dota was a farm based game for quite some time, but it's getting slightly better, u can see that IceFrog is trying to get people out of that whole "farm a win" strategy which is not really what dota is suppose to be about .___."
But at the same time trying to keep last hitting being a crucial part of the game, IceFrog's in for some serious thinking. Though the assist gold and the new items were a huge improvement. I still remember i used to spend so long farming a slow thing for carries, now i just buy the venom orb and gank as soon as i reach lvl 6, get golds + exp that way and keep the others out of farm instead of farming for 20 minutes of game and pray that i outfarmed the carries on the other team.
A strong lineup is crucial to a win, the moment the other team outpicks / outrandoms u, u already lost half the game. Items of course can make up for SOME weaknesses in your team, but only SOME not all. i remember this horrible game this morning, our team was outpicked so badly that i started feeding which SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED Q_Q. Very embarassing game tbh.

Any thoughts on the new heroes guys o-o? my friends keep complaining about thrall being imba o-o, i haven't tried him yet but his abilities look a bit yea. powerful. not to the extent where it's imba tho o-o

08-21-2010   #18 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games

It depends on what hero is using the item actually. Some heroes scale way too strong once they have a luxury item out, but I agree that a strong team can compensate an over farmed carry like Medusa.

There isn't a whole lot of imba in the new heroes thanks to the testers.

Thrall isn't quite imba. He's another nuker with small HP gain. Most of his nukes are DPS and require a strong build up, so as long as you have some HP with decent HP gain to harass him back, you can take him out or nullify his damage. In clashes, he's fairly good since his AoE spells can probably disable 1 or 2 heroes.

Wisp is a gimmicky character that relies on your carries/gankers micro to chase your opponents down. That's not to say he's bad. He's fairly decent on recovering your team after clashes, however he's very team reliant. His Overcharge skill; HP, mana and DPS bonus; and item use transfers during tether, so you can tell easily that he must be accompanied with 1 or 2 heroes. At this point, you can counter him and his teammate with a triple lane, or just basically stun him or his teammate.

Eredar is probably my favorite new hero. He acts like an anti-carrier like BE. He requires little mana regen. He has one super slow and one disable that becomes really strong depending on who you cast it on dealing 120% of their damage. His Shadow Poison is probably my favorite early damage dealer. It requires really low mana to cast and it strong once you can stack up to 3 or 4 dealing about 550ish damage with a cost of 200 mana. All of this can be amplified with his 2nd skill. The only problem is that you need a strong build up or an additional disabler to increase his damage output and he has a small HP pool.

Last is Gyrocopter. A lot of people can build this hero as a carrier or a ganker. All I can say, he's very decent since he can be versatile in your team line up. 3 AoE spells and a stun that can be launched from a far makes him a strong nuker/ganker.

Last edited by k0n; 08-21-2010 at 12:21 AM.

08-21-2010   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Lover ^_^

yea, perhaps my friends just not used to his abilities yet, thinking it imba. i remember same thing happened with razor and TC when they came out @_@ complaints about imbaness.
Yep, only watched 1 pro whisp playing on the team so far, helps team so much i don't know what to say. Too good of a gank support. The new agility... >___> doesn't seem that great.. haven't saw someone doing exceptionally good with him yet. Thrall, again, a very good gank support, extreme versatility which makes me interested in playing him soon. (usually randoms =P)
Don't really like the dog Q_Q smells like a dirty hero to me Dx (graphics not pretty either.)
and about medusa lol, he's one of the god of carries when farmed. Unlike other carriers, Medusa is insanely tanked when farmed well. But without farm, Medusa is just an ordinary hero, and cannot carry. A Farming hero overall. stay out of gank and last hit creeps for as long as u could without getting ganked is probably the best way to play medusa in a regular team. has no problem laning either due to range attack + snake

08-21-2010   #20 (permalink)
sɪlvər
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award

Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals

I have a huge dislike for DotA.

However, news has it that VALVE has hired IceFrog, and if you din't see their TPS engine yet, I would suggest you to check out Alien Swarm.

It's gonna be a killer.

This is Kyuubey