Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-03-2008   #21 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

I gotta know, is there a difference between "scary games" and "psychologically disturbing games"? Or are they both the same thing?

Because for me, the Silent Hill series wasn't that scary. But it was incredibly disturbing. the Ressident Evil series is the opposite.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-03-2008   #22 (permalink)
wow so scare
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute

Different opinions; you could say there's a difference.

I'd say there's two different styles of scary games. There's the kind that involves psychological/emotional conflict like Silent Hill and there's the kind that involves pure survival with lots of adrenaline and excitement like Resident Evil. Although, this is just a generalization, sometimes it might not be true.

09-03-2008   #23 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

I am a Survival Horror Fan, But I currently don't have any games D8
Im waiting for Silent Hill:Homecoming, and Resident Evil 5.. Which is going to be super bad ass

09-03-2008   #24 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Belphybear
IGN: Will Smith
Class: Will Smith
Guild: Will Smith

Daikatana. :|

09-05-2008   #25 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

I was referring to the psychological aspects. Spooky atmosphere, suspense, all around freakiness. Shooting through hoards of ugly monsters doesn't really make a game scary.

I found one that might be worth a look for those interested.

Sanitarium is a puzzle game along the lines of myst. It has poor graphics (released in 98) the movement system is a bit annoying and it's pretty easy. The game isn't as scary as Silent Hill or the early Resident Evil games, but it has a creepy vibe and the storyline is sort of a mind****.

09-07-2008   #26 (permalink)
Time Breaker

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of
Exclamation

Oh wow, nobody seems to find Devil May Cry and Onimusha scary o.o both have what Cornflakes just mentioned and they have creepy music and are very bloody too.

Oh I also heard of God of War.

09-07-2008   #27 (permalink)
Orange
Games
4StoryACE OnlineAdventure Quest WorldsAge of Armor
Awards Retired Content StaffFacebook Fan

Faith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploda
Oh wow, nobody seems to find Devil May Cry and Onimusha scary o.o both have what Cornflakes just mentioned and they have creepy music and are very bloody too.

Oh I also heard of God of War.
I never found Devil May Cry or Onimusha scary. Pretty much focused on action =P

09-07-2008   #28 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

How about a game like "Rule of Rose".

The story in the beginning was creepy enough, the children you encounter are creepy enough, think how evil children can be with no parents around. The setting at first is a dusty mantion full of kids, then a 1920 derigable full of kids of higher ranking on the social order with a dog as your only loyal friend (you start out the rank of like "less than dirt"). The whole story has a very Alice in Wonderland feel and the few bosses I've fought are disturbing to say the least (one of the "Mermaid's" attack is to throw-up on you). There was all so the picture book (iterally) paper clues, including at how some of the stories are basied on fariy tale like picture book stories gone distrubinly bad. ("The Goat Sisters" makes for a nice ending)

Warning: most people didn't like the game, because of the controls and the fact that you couldn't order your dog to attack, but it certainly had the atmosphere, characters and story.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

09-08-2008   #29 (permalink)
\_(ツ)_/
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

After jumping a lot into the genre of survival-horror games, it doesn't frighten me much. The only things that really cause me to jump out of my seat and cause any feelings of thrill are sudden ambushes that require sharp reflexes (which you will normally fail the first time) or sudden loud noises in a quiet area (explosion while wandering down a quiet hallway). Media that attempts to gross me out are considered quite mild by my standards. I actually would consider much of it fun.

09-09-2008   #30 (permalink)
wow so scare
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennaIkimono

The story in the beginning was creepy enough, the children you encounter are creepy enough, think how evil children can be with no parents around. The setting at first is a dusty mantion full of kids, then a 1920 derigable full of kids of higher ranking on the social order with a dog as your only loyal friend (you start out the rank of like "less than dirt"). The whole story has a very Alice in Wonderland feel and the few bosses I've fought are disturbing to say the least (one of the "Mermaid's" attack is to throw-up on you). There was all so the picture book (iterally) paper clues, including at how some of the stories are basied on fariy tale like picture book stories gone distrubinly bad. ("The Goat Sisters" makes for a nice ending)

Warning: most people didn't like the game, because of the controls and the fact that you couldn't order your dog to attack, but it certainly had the atmosphere, characters and story.
./facepalm

Completely forgot about this game. D8 I was kinda interested in it for a while, watching vids on YT and listening to the music.

I find it to be a great game with warm yet sinister graphics and a unique storyline as well as its features. I agree, the controls are kinda lacking, after watching other people play it.

09-09-2008   #31 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Quote:

Rule of Rose.......oh God, that was the most psychologically traumatizing game that I ever played. Animal cruelty, child abuse, and murder of little girls?! (Ok, so there was a slight lolicon involved but only a twisted mind would actually like that).

The gameplay wasn't even the main point, there were so few battles to fight. No, it's the psychological trauma this little girl endured growing up in an orphanage where she was abused by her fellow orphans with this twisted "Rule of Rose" social stature nonsense, then enduring the fact that she was the only survivor after this deranged man began killing all her friends, blocking the memory to the back of her mind, then retracing every agonizing detail of what happened when she became a teenager.

God, I can understand why this game is rated M. It's was waaaayyyy to much for me. I guess those who got through the game didn't fully understand what the story really was.

09-09-2008   #32 (permalink)
Rie
Vera Benedictio
Games
La TaleEmil Chronicle OnlinePangyaRagnarok Online
Awards Event Winner

Rie is a splendid one to beholdRie is a splendid one to beholdRie is a splendid one to beholdRie is a splendid one to beholdRie is a splendid one to beholdRie is a splendid one to beholdRie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

lol yes rule of rose was really disturbing its not really scary but >..> ull get the feel when u play it. My favorite horror game is uh fatal frame series, silent series is scary and disturbing and confusing @_@ lol resident evil not rly scary but more on suspense and action @_@ lol.

09-11-2008   #33 (permalink)
Posting once a year.
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineMapleStoryDungeon Fighter OnlineLa Tale
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Yoruhime has a spectacular aura aboutYoruhime has a spectacular aura about
Level: - ∞
Guild: FrenchBread

I don't play scary games. I watch my brother play though. It's like watching a scary movie or something.

Resident Evil ftw~!

I never found Silent Hill scary though.