Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-13-2008   #21 (permalink)
PolandSpring wut!?

KuroKoden will become famous soon enoughKuroKoden will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KuroKoden Send a message via Yahoo to KuroKoden
IGN: KuroKoden

I like the newest addidtion, this guy is awesome!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-13-2008   #22 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryshadowcard
RECOMMENDED
Is the Video Game Industry at Risk for Stagnation?
I thought I would hate this guy because you guys liked him and I usually hate things you guys like, but he's a pretty cool. But one thing about this video. Some of the biggest selling games out there are the violent games that Sony and Microsoft shit out. Seriously, if you talk to any 8 to 13 year old boy they'll probably like GTA4 more than the new Kirby game. I'm not as worried about violent video games killing the industry as I'm afraid of them constantly being remade with shinier graphics and different set of characters.

Quote:
RECOMMENDED
Women as Objects in Video Games
lul

Quote:
GTA4
True Crime and State of Emergency came out before San Andreas. State of Emergency was made by Rockstar. This had to be stated.

Last edited by MsSquid; 08-13-2008 at 10:15 PM.

08-14-2008   #23 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumatora
I thought I would hate this guy because you guys liked him and I usually hate things you guys like, but he's a pretty cool. But one thing about this video. Some of the biggest selling games out there are the violent games that Sony and Microsoft shit out. Seriously, if you talk to any 8 to 13 year old boy they'll probably like GTA4 more than the new Kirby game. I'm not as worried about violent video games killing the industry as I'm afraid of them constantly being remade with shinier graphics and different set of characters.
True, but your primary concern is especially where I think he was going. Sure, violence is the number-one seller now--it always has been in video games, cartoon or otherwise. But there's two things he's mentioning--the brand of violent games pandering to a specific older audience (or rather, a generation--the generation that has been around since the PS1 days) with their own expectations and opinions on games and the issue that less and less is catering to a newer generation of gamer. Sure, 8-to-13 year olds are going through that "I want adult stuff and adult stuff must be naughty bits and potty mouth" phase, but that certainly applies less to ages younger than that. I've been playing games since I was 3, and an 8-year-old can't appreciate the full depth of a complex game, violent or otherwise. Many older gamers will quit gaming based on social expectations, and today's pre-adolescent is at least acute enough to realize they're getting the same game over and over. People get tired of the "Hollywood formula," the sales drop, and two companies that are only in it minutely compared to their other electronic ventures will most likely blame poor sales of the same old rehashes on video games just not being very profitable in the long-term. They'll drop it like a bad habit, and go back to producing not-very-upgraded DVD Players and soul-swindling computers; the biggest problem is that it would hardly cost them anything to do this. It could very well happen, if the company is less in it for the games than they are for the money.

Quote:
lul
I can't tell if you liked or disliked the sex object one. @_@ That thumbs down emote ish confusing me when paired with the other emote and the ensuing 'lul'.

Quote:
True Crime and State of Emergency came out before San Andreas. State of Emergency was made by Rockstar. This had to be stated.
I already conceded that his GTAIV piece wasn't thought out or constructed nearly as well as most of his others.

But I'm definitely glad you liked him overall. :3

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-14-2008   #24 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

"but kirby, kirby was't mario, kirby was pink,"
I lol'ed

/ / / Playing:Tree of Savior

08-14-2008   #25 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

blue ray logo man lawl

08-15-2008   #26 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

There is some flawed logic in the latest rant. For starters, age groups were not taken fully into account. The majority of gamers at the moment are still people over 20. There's a ton of war themed first person shooters because there's a ton of people who either want to show their parents they are no longer playing Mario, or people who went to pursue a civilian career, made money, and want some way to measure up to their friends who did enlist and made it out of service when the WWII FPS was at its height. Mario and Sonic were classic standbys, but they did not always stay at the top. Doom, Street Fighter, and GTA suddenly found themselves at the head of the next trend, which reflected the tastes of an aging gamer demographic, who went from jumping over barrels to making them explode with a shotgun to send their enemy's guts flying across the screen.

However, following this trend will not make the industry stagnate. There's already a console out there that appeals to kids and families, and it's currently the top seller. It will likely bring up a whole new generation on classic Nintendo standbys, who will get older as time passes and decide to check out the next gritty Black Ops game Tom Clancy decides to stamp his name on. Unlike the comic industry, entry level entertainment has always been a mainstay.

In fact, the entry level gamers are making a resurgence. They once again outnumber the hardcore audience, which is now redefining itself in the wake of an onslaught of newcomers, who like them at one time, discovered gaming for the very first time. Games are now being designed with this large demographic in mind, which now leads to every hardcore gamer whining about the ease at which games are beat, and the lack of players who bother to beat the game on Legendary, which according to them, is a mudane task at best. Some people may love Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and consider it to be a real challenge. The majority now just considers it a frustrating game with piss poor controls, passable graphics, and not worth the memorizing and pixel perfect jumping required in order to win. If you think what I just chastised is what you consider fun, you are now the minority. Next to nobody considers Unlimited Saga to be fun. That's likely why it sold like crap, while the next rendition of Madden will sell millions. Both of these games are poor, and comparing them is like putting two different patches of diarrhea to a litmus test. However, there is a clear answer on which brand of crap the public prefers, and the game publishers will always go after the golden turd as long as people keep buying it.

08-15-2008   #27 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Solution:

Provide:

Very Easy Mode: (For the wusses.)
Easy Mode: (For the beginners)
Normal Mode: (For those who are familiar with the game)
Hard Mode: (For those who seek a challange)
Very Hard Mode: (For hardcore gamers)

Everyone's happy now.

08-15-2008   #28 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about

@Vorpal: Lol, I just don't think I'm equipped for a counterargument and this is going to come off less convincing and more me sounding like a mere fanboy, since your points are well-founded and I'm still piecing together a proper response as I type this.

I'd like to believe that you are right about the majority playerbase being over 20, but for some reason, I just can't. Just like you, I come onto this internet almost everyday and see the usual, weak "Unlike you, I have a life outside of games" retorts. It tells me that there are many people who still treat this medium as trivial and fleeting. Sure, a lot of those times it's just whiny prepubescents who can't muster a single, clever comeback, but many other times, it's not. After 20, the better-things-to-do mindset kicks in for many people, and it has less to do with social responsibilities than it does with social expectations, sort of an "I'm too old for this" mentality induced by nothing more than adult peer pressure. At that point, it starts being viewed as less acceptable to play games often, even if you're handling all your responsibilities or improving your relations with the opposite sex, and that's if these people still play at all. Even if you include the exclusively sports-oriented playerbase, it feels like that is mostly at a college frat boy level, and then it dies down from there. The media is shocked to even hear of a dedicated gamer past 25, and that shock while it would be a positive shock coming from me is a negative kind of shock from most others.

An adult gamer in America is viewed the same way as any animation that pushes the envelope--abnormal. Even if the things involved are as "adult" as the latest hack-and-slash movie, they'll always be waved off as the exception to their medium rather than a different aspect altogether. Games are still "a teenager's indulgence" and animation is still "just for kids." It doesn't matter that this era primarily targets an 18-24 demographic for games; that's just the way society still looks at the genre.

As for the aging gamer demographic, is it just because they were interested in general forms violence or because their interests were also influenced by the times? These past two decades have produced a budding generation of anger without necessarily any particular direction (very little of it now is politically motivated rebellion; even controversy over the Iraqi War gets greeted with a customary "meh"), so it's natural for games that draw upon aggression to be more appealing as the demographic becomes older, more confused, and more overwhelmed by society's standards and expectations. It's a bit unlikely at this point, but what if the next generation's interests (at least in the States) exist outside of games and more along something entirely different?

For Sony and Nintendo, that wouldn't be much of an issue. Both are rooted in Japan, the gaming Mecca. Nintendo, as Game OverThinker said, will still be here doing things its own way, for better or worse, because it is a company that started out and continues to be only about games. In fact, he mentioned that this is the only company that continually thinks about younger audiences. Sony will continue because of its popularity in Japan, but there's no obligation to remain international if its returns come up as less than lukewarm--at least as far as games are concerned. Gaming is not its biggest moneymaker, and it can afford to abandon its investments in America if the PlayStation ever becomes unprofitable. Not that it will, or that it's necessarily likely, but the possibility still exists. Even Sega continued producing Dreamcasts in Japan for awhile in spite of ceased production in the States.

As for Microsoft, there's no doubt that gaming is a small part of its revenue when compared to other things. But, it's an American company, and it is influenced by American views and standards. It's not very popular in Japan, and its last attempts at bridging the gap have been mediocre at best. If the 360 or beyond ever show up short returns, Microsoft won't look at it as them not targeting the right audience; they'll just say "This is all video games could do" and drop the whole thing. And they can do that easily without grimacing. As you said, "the golden turd" is the most important thing for the business that caters to whatever sells. If that golden turd fades to a greenish-brown, they'll hunt for another. And if gaming itself ceases to be that golden turd, they'll abandon it where it is not profitable. I could only have more respect for Microsoft if they'd acquiesce to keeping video games on as a niche market should a time like this ever come to pass.

So in America, Nintendo, the entry level company that opens the gates to younger audiences, will have nowhere to send its aging American gamers and video games here will once again receive an almost unanimous scoff as something only kids and societal freaks play. Other companies will try (and fail) to get into the console market to revitalize things, but what we'll be seeing for a good while is the second coming of 3DOs, Jaguars, and the like (obviously not by the same names as the aforementioned).

The quality of games will always be subjective, but the greatest issue is the desire to expand the diversity of games. But that's a different topic altogether, one that wasn't covered in rant 11 and one that will have me typing longer than this. >.<

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

Last edited by fieryshadowcard; 08-15-2008 at 05:01 PM.

08-15-2008   #29 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Bill Friggen Gates is rich enough to drop the Xbox series easily if it fails =P. The main money maker is the computer division >_>.

08-16-2008   #30 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After 20, the better-things-to-do mindset kicks in for many people, and it has less to do with social responsibilities than it does with social expectations, sort of an "I'm too old for this" mentality induced by nothing more than adult peer pressure.
This is where the argument begins to teeter on the brink. I fit into the after 20 demographic, I have disposable income, and I'm not quite ready to accept my fate as an old fogey yet, so I'm going to have one last go at gaming to prove I've still got mad skills before the pressures of a societal norm drags me away kicking and screaming into a married life with mortgage problems and a white picket fence. I believe many of the consoles are priced the way they are because of this. For me and people in my demographic, this is our last stand. The game companies know we have the money, and they know we will not last long, so they are going all out to rake in as much money as possible before the cash cow gets sent to the slaughterhouse. With this in mind, that $599 console suddenly makes a bit of sense.

Quote:
Nintendo, as Game OverThinker said, will still be here doing things its own way, for better or worse, because it is a company that started out and continues to be only about games.
This is just nitpicking, but they started out as a playing card company. However, I doubt they will go back to printing out the ace of spades any time soon 8D

08-16-2008   #31 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

I rather enjoyed zero punctuation's rants sometimes, but this guy seems to make a more coherent argument.

08-16-2008   #32 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorpalBunny
This is just nitpicking, but they started out as a playing card company. However, I doubt they will go back to printing out the ace of spades any time soon 8D
Lol, I did think to bring that up, but that was back in the early 1900s, if I recall.

@Mongo: I kind of liked one or two of Zero Punctuation's pieces, but I realized early on that what I liked was less about any real points he made (he usually ranted about one aspect of the game and/or said how much he loved/hated the game without going in depth about why) and more about potty mouth. I do have to admit I did a double take followed by a moderately adolescent fit of chuckles upon hearing the term "triple-****ed ****er" and seeing the associated imagery.

Last edited by fieryshadowcard; 08-16-2008 at 01:18 PM.