Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
:kamina: Pro

Goldie is on a distinguished road
Guild: SOS Brigade
Default MMORPGS Suck Now?

I'd like to start by saying this most MMORPGs out there are total garbage, honestly. The last game I played that was a true MMORPG was EverQuest, nothing can compare to EverQuest it is hands down truely one of the greatest MMORPGs. I honestly don't know if any of you were around for the great EverQuest years but damn those were a great 10-12 years, I obviously wasn't around that long but I was around to experience the phenomenon, In so many ways EverQuest was so much better then World of Warcraft or any MMORPG in this case. It took a lot of intelligence and maturity to play EverQuest you couldn't be some dumb arrogant little 12 year old to play this game you couldn't even make it past Lv12 Unlike in World of Warcraft where there were just a bunch of dumbass doing nothing but being stupid and they would even make it to Lv80 if someone screwed up EverQuest your done, you would be sworn at for like a week everyone had to play as a team in EverQuest. In a sense all MMORPGs are money wh0res especially WoW because think about it advertisement and real life merchanting is so big in this game anywhere from selling accounts to powerleveling to guides most are a scam or just crap or both. Why is it all of a sudden people are saying World of Warcraft is addicting are you kidding me? Nothing can compare to how addicting EverQuest was some guy played for a weak straight only fueled on coffee and he commited sucide, Lol and now in WoW people play for 38 hours and commit sucide LMAO the Average EverQuest player would play for like 3 days straight raiding and shit, did it ever affect there life in a dramatic way (Such as death) no way. Thing is you were either there for the EverQuest generation or you weren't, Pretty much just a ghost town now because everyone is just pretty burnt out for playing for 10 years everyday now. Anyways feel free to discuss, I could keep coming with how EverQuest was good and not 1 MMORPG could even compare but I would be taking up like 2 pages of writing.

Last edited by Goldie; 03-29-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

I think most MMORPGs suck now too >_>. They all seem relatively the same now to me.

If you want a MMORPG that needs intelligence and maturity, go for eve. As Ethane depicted Eve's learning curve...

Guild Wars fills the gap for teamwork related stuff, the level cap is really low, and you can make a character at the level cap from the start of the game @_@...

Don't see much about the addiction part, the time it takes for your body to crap out playing a game without a break doesn't equal addiction value.

03-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
situation walkspace
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

mamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Moli
Class: Kardashian to_primadonna
Guild: Hores
Xfire: logicks

Communities in MMORPGs suck and most gameplay doesn't help the cause; that should pretty much be a given by now. There's always the exception though, I guess.

03-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

I'm actually just ._. oh... whenever some new mmorpg been released and it goes like "new gaming experience!" thingy @_@

But some are just...eye candies anyway, lol

03-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Don't touch 8|
Awards Retired Content StaffRetired Content Staff

Sheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Flarina/Lunata
Class: SHEEP/ ???? to_soulmaster
Level: 142/5xx
Guild: SOLOMODO/Wish
Xfire: !!! D8

I just log on to MMO's to chat with friends now ;o; but GE allows me to grind and chat while doing homework YoY
But yeah, either people are lacking imagination or redundancy has conquered the mmo industry ;_;

03-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Juno is on a distinguished road
Guild: Athena

In general, yes. Whenever anything becomes profitable it automatically becomes mass-produced and the quality tanks.

However, I don't quite agree with the Everquest comparison. I think a game can be good without requiring mass amounts of time and effort to be sacrificed to it on a daily basis.

I do lament how most mmorpgs being pumped out are overgrown mini-games or mindless grindfests though...

03-30-2009   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Skiegh Send a message via MSN to Skiegh
IGN: Skiegh
Class: Sieg
Level: 56+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie
Okay, I know most of you are going to flame or minus reputation me or something just keep it clean.
Not sure why people would -rep you when you're entitled to your opinion.

Everquest was an O.K. game and I can say it was a amazing experience for me when I first played it upon release. However, to me, it was just Meridian 59 with updated graphics. Yeah, Meridian 59, bet you can't find anyone on this forum who has played that besides me. Still, Everquest was a fascinating experience and I found it very enjoyable since the idea of an MMO was still fairly new to me. Regardless of it's inspiration though, I didn't enjoy the game so much as a whole but that is my opinion.

Quote:
Nothing can compare to how addicting EverQuest was some guy played for a weak straight only fueled on coffee and he commited sucide, Lol and now in WoW people play for 38 hours and commit sucide LMAO the Average EverQuest player would play for like 3 days straight raiding and shit, did it ever affect there life in a dramatic way (Such as death) no way.
Uhh... are you trying to brag that Everquest players can play a game longer without committing suicide? If I was going to minus rep you, it would be for this completely insensitive comment. Don't take joy in deaths regardless of the cause. Also, gaming effecting lives has been around before Everquest and during it so it is not a white idol in a sea of darkness.

Quote:
It took a lot of intelligence and maturity to play EverQuest
The only reason it was difficult is because of the user interface was nothing but a text based game given graphics. To an average person unfamiliar with playing games like muds and the like it was horribly confusing to learn all the commands. A game of today is more user friendly and there is nothing wrong with that.

You're entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. In my opinion, there are quite a lot of good MMOs out there, you just merely haven't expanded your pallet of them very well. A lot of MMOs are just clones with slight variations but as I pointed out, Everquest had a predecessor and is as guilty of it as any other. Regardless, there are unique and fun MMOs out there and that is what you should be looking for.

On a side-note, my home among MMOs still lies with Lineage 2 which I played shortly after Everquest. It being one of the few MMOs with a world that had no sections or zones, it really stood out as a world of it's own which was nice.
"There once was a boy who dreamed of being a hero. Who believed sincerely in the battle to banish darkness from a world of light... but light and darkness are equal... and where one exists so too must the other... and when the boy finally realized this he had taken the first step toward being a true hero."

03-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
how i shot gaem?
Games
Trickster Online

Sodacan is a jewel in the roughSodacan is a jewel in the roughSodacan is a jewel in the roughSodacan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sodacan Send a message via MSN to Sodacan Send a message via Skype™ to Sodacan

Someone has a very biased opinion of EverQuest.

03-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Kupo is on a distinguished road

I'm just so bored of them... You don't play them, you work for your skills, items and money. It seems like you just get to a point that you think, why am I playing this game anymore? It's not really worth the time for that, and I'm especially not going to want to pay money for it.

03-30-2009   #10 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

Eve is the only MMO I've seen where if you die, you lose your EQ (ship) and if you're not prepared with a clone contract, you lose experience (like, months of it) and the major point of the game is not only getting better but also there's strategy involved and the endgame is taking and holding space

there's also the spy/intrigue metagaming aspect to it but that's the icing on the cake

every other MMO I've ever played (honestly which isn't much) lacks an "endgame". I guess it's cute to run around with the rarest and nicest equipment and at level 80 or whatever those games are capped at on your mount that you won in a tournament and only two exist but what's the fun in that? Take Trickster for instance, it's got a storyline of sorts (that you can completely ignore) and I guess that Spicy Dragon thing is the "endgame". You kill Spicy, and does the game end? Do you get a pat on the back and a nice ending? No, you get to hang around some more and keep killing bosses for more of them medals and for what?

I hear that new KOTOR mmo is going to be uniquely tailored for every character and there's going to be an endgame (an actual one.) I'm going to wait for that before I jump into any other mmo because the games can be fun, but once they're over I just want to move on.

03-30-2009   #11 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

I'll agree with you that MMORPGs suck (and have always sucked), but I don't agree with anything you posted. You didn't even prove your point. You did nothing, but bash WoW for stupid reasons like the players not being complete lowlifes, the game being slightly more user friendly, the fact that Blizzard is actually trying to make a profit off the game that they created for money, and the fact that it's not an Everquest clone. You came off like an elitist asshole, and your wall of text is filled with grammatical errors. GG OP.

03-30-2009   #12 (permalink)
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
Take Trickster for instance, it's got a storyline of sorts (that you can completely ignore) and I guess that Spicy Dragon thing is the "endgame". You kill Spicy, and does the game end? Do you get a pat on the back and a nice ending? No, you get to hang around some more and keep killing bosses for more of them medals and for what?
Trickster endgame = PvP.

03-30-2009   #13 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

depends what you value as a "good" mmorpg
what determines that?
there's no universal standard to determine what is a "good" mmorpg and what is not
if user-friendliness was a factor, then everquest can be seen as a really crappy mmorpg

imo one of the most important factors of a "good" mmorpg is how well it satisfies its community
some say that "grindfests" ruin mmorpgs
however, what if that's what the community wants?
and what if the community are people who want to spend money on the game in order to be noticed?
people have different values and beliefs, so not everyone is satisfied
if the mmorpg satisfies the players' wants and needs, then they may conclude that the mmorpg is "good"
if it doesn't, then they may think it sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie
I could keep coming with how EverQuest was good and not 1 MMORPG could even compare but I would be taking up like 2 pages of writing.
wow you must be a really good writer
someone who values good graphics as an important factor in determining what is a "good" mmorpg and what is not may view Blade & Soul as a much better mmorpg than EverQuest
someone who values grindiness as an important factor in determining what is a "good" mmorpg and what is not may view Maple Story as a much better mmorpg than EveryQuest
I can keep going about how EverQuest was "good" depending on the player's values and how almost any mmorpg could compare/outdo it, but I would be taking up like 9001 pages of writing

03-30-2009   #14 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameh
Trickster endgame = PvP.
hahahahahahahahahah

ahem

HAHAHAHAHHA

03-30-2009   #15 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

The KOTOR MMO better not have the fail battle system from the last 2 games. Seriously, I just went for dual lightsabers, and got the skills that gave me extra attacks. I beat the shit outta everything in that game within seconds. So damn overpowered >_>...

03-30-2009   #16 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
The KOTOR MMO better not have the fail battle system from the last 2 games. Seriously, I just went for dual lightsabers, and got the skills that gave me extra attacks. I beat the shit outta everything in that game within seconds. So damn overpowered >_>...
Really? Malak was damn hard for me. That was about it though.

Oh yeah, and what's her face with the 3 lightsabers at the end of Kotor 2.

03-30-2009   #17 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Jokerz has a spectacular aura aboutJokerz has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Dare
Class: Xbowman, DK, combat alch.

...How does one hold 3 lightsabers? I would think Zoro/Zolo/whatever you call him in your region style, only I would imagine that one would cut the top of one's head off.

03-30-2009   #18 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

^ talk about mmorpg plox, not offline lol.€
Anyway, most mmorpg shares same thing = grind..lol

Probably different kind of grind for some games, but...yeah, some even introduced "couple system" and so on...bla bla :x

03-30-2009   #19 (permalink)
situation walkspace
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

mamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Moli
Class: Kardashian to_primadonna
Guild: Hores
Xfire: logicks

Lunia lost its grind (for the most part anyway) and the community (once again, for the most part) is still upset. Guess we're just a bunch of picky people. =s

03-31-2009   #20 (permalink)
Belieb!
Games
Bloodline ChampionsLeague of LegendsRift: Planes of TelaraS4 League

JustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to behold
IGN: coolbeans
Class: boss lt_gunslinger
Level: ∞
Guild: kool kids klub

It's funny how you compare everything to EverQuest...