Special

SEGAMew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to SEGAMew
IGN: ~LeonSchroeder~, HaoQiao,
Class: Lion to_scientist
Level: 253
Guild: DayBreak
Default Sonic Unleashed

I got the game recently for the Wii. It's very pretty, but probably not as pretty as it can be since the Wii lacks the Hedgehog Engine that's available in the PS3/360 version =|

What are your thoughts? Naturally I love the game, though I fear its replay value may be on the weak side. We'll see. I love making Sonic randomly crawl around in the Gaia Temples 8D

[Temporary Sig Until I Get a New one] - Now where have I heard that one before @.@
[Leon's Thread of Arts]

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-21-2008   #2 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

Eh I was thinking about renting it since i have gamefly, but some of the last few sonic games haven't been too great in my opinion

11-21-2008   #3 (permalink)
VIP

Tamiki will become famous soon enough

I haven't played this sonic game yet, but i don't leik the newer games soo far :X

11-21-2008   #4 (permalink)
JC
イロイロ

JC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGAMew
I got the game recently for the Wii. It's very pretty, but probably not as pretty as it can be since the Wii lacks the Hedgehog Engine that's available in the PS3/360 version =|

What are your thoughts? Naturally I love the game, though I fear its replay value may be on the weak side. We'll see. I love making Sonic randomly crawl around in the Gaia Temples 8D
Is it actually fun and fast or is it like the loose engine feel of Sonic Heroes? Those games make me cringe at how Sonic mostly sucks these days.

11-21-2008   #5 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

You should get this game because Sonic behaves more like Sonic in his not so serious personality way... and that's how Sonic should be, fun loving and always sees things in a positive light.

Every cutscene feels like it's straight from some CG movie @_@ well I guess it applies more with the graphic power houses 360 and PS3.

Sonic Day stages are fun, very streamline and I don't die the same death in the same area more than once in the day time (very much the opposite when playing Sonic '06 >___>) The Werehog is a nice change of pace, and I honestly don't think it takes that long to play the Werehog stages. But then again I'm use to taking about 1 hour to finish some stages in the past Sonic 3D games (SA1 + SA2 included) >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Is it actually fun and fast or is it like the loose engine feel of Sonic Heroes? Those games make me cringe at how Sonic mostly sucks these days.
If you take more than 4-6 minutes completing any of Sonic's daytime Acts, something is wrong with you. Werehog takes about 8-10 minutes per Act.
Er I call them Acts because I think of something like "Stage: Green Hill Zone Act 1/2/3". It's laid out in Acts, but like everyone refer to them as stages? o_O No one uses the word "Zone" anymore either.

For the Wii and PS2 version, the gameplay is pretty much straightfoward with a few branching paths within acts/stages. PS3/360 versions, Sonic's daytime stages are more collosal in size and prettier.

[Temporary Sig Until I Get a New one] - Now where have I heard that one before @.@
[Leon's Thread of Arts]

Last edited by SEGAMew; 11-21-2008 at 09:07 PM.

11-21-2008   #6 (permalink)
JC
イロイロ

1 hour? Those levels were like half hour, no? @_@ Oh well, that's great to hear, but you didn't say if it used the crappy Sonic Heroes engine or the SA one.

11-21-2008   #7 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

Maybe I misworded something. The average player can finish any of the (especially early) Werehog Acts in less than 10 minutes (I take about 8 minutes or so, and that's with exploring and breaking anything I can). There are usually 3-4 mandatory Werehog Acts per Werehog Stage.... so you should take less than an hour to finish an entire Werehog stage before moving on.

I suggest looking up SonicWorldAventure's YouTube Gameplay videos and see if you like how the Wii version plays (I think he has some 360 stuff in there, but I think it's mainly cutscenes and Tails minigame).

Oh yeah and Sonic's Daytime stages on the Wii... although fun... probably will be too short for your liking (since Sonic runs so freaking fast).
It goes like this for Sonic:

Normal full act of a stage -> collect 100-200 rings from that same act -> Either get to the goal without breaking anything like pots within a time limit OR an act of that stage that's different and shorter than the first bit. All of that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to accomplish =| 3 acts.

[Leon's Thread of Arts]

Last edited by SEGAMew; 11-21-2008 at 09:21 PM.

11-21-2008   #8 (permalink)
JC
イロイロ

Eh, can't tell a difference of engines from the videos, it is a gameplay standpoint. I want to know if I'm gonna be walking on ice w/o traction like Heroes (which sucked) or some decent traction like Adventure.

11-21-2008   #9 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

The only traction issue (and it's not even major and I think it's just physics related) is when the Werehog runs on all four. It feels like he's sliding whenever he turns... but it's not really a problem since you shouldn't be going at 300 MPH like the Hedgehog anyway =p

Some people say Sonic in the day is hard to control, but I think it's a GIANT improvement from Sonic '06 *shudders*. I love his Quick Step and Sonic Boost. All of Sonic's moves pretty much compliment with his speed. I think peope say he's hard to control because they're too slow to notice that wall coming in at 200 MPH (I know I have that problem >.>)

[Leon's Thread of Arts]

11-21-2008   #10 (permalink)
JC
イロイロ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGAMew
The only traction issue (and it's not even major and I think it's just physics related) is when the Werehog runs on all four. It feels like he's sliding whenever he turns... but it's not really a problem since you shouldn't be going at 300 MPH like the Hedgehog anyway =p

Some people say Sonic in the day is hard to control, but I think it's a GIANT improvement from Sonic '06 *shudders*. I love his Quick Step and Sonic Boost. All of Sonic's moves pretty much compliment with his speed. I think peope say he's hard to control because they're too slow to notice that wall coming in at 200 MPH (I know I have that problem >.>)
06 and heroes felt too floaty, like if you were driving a car on ice or something, really crappy controls with the crappy camera that seems to be a staple in sonic games and ugh...
I'm amazed they have sonic hit walls, whatever happened to him launching into the air during those moments they wanted you to slow down a bit?

11-21-2008   #11 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

Mmm it's pretty solid, they're right there on the ground. I had Sonic hit the wall so many times, it's pretty comical.

Also in the Wii when you're in the Gaia Temples as Sonic, he's very fast to control in there. Extremely fast walker... you can't really make him walk slow o_o though not really a problem, love running around and watching dust clouds puff up...

Oh oh Sonic rides a SLED in parts of the Holaska stages, and that definately feels like driving a car on ice. This sled is infinitely times better than that aweful snowboard in '06.

[Leon's Thread of Arts]