ggFTW Moogler

Raukue will become famous soon enough
IGN: Satsuyo
Class: Witch to_soulmaster
Level: 14x/21x
Guild: «Firefly»
Xfire: Raukue
Unhappy DS Lite: First Time. Need Help.

I plan to get my first Nintendo DS next month. I have never played one or seen one up close. At first color was an issue on which to get thinking white because it would not show finger smudges like the darker colors would. But I have decided to go with black as it won't show dirt like the white DS.

I was wondering if I should get screen protectors for it but I am not totally sure. The brand reviews I have looked at have been Intec, Hori and BoxWave. It sounds like people choose Hori the most and seems better than Intec. I do not want to order it online though. I feel it might be in stores.

Question is, should I get it? I plan to get the Hori case protector to keep dirt off and protect it that is a for sure thing. But the screen protectors... do I need it?

Even if I am very careful there is still a chance of scratching? Things wear off over time. Also those moments where you get too caught up in a game to where you forget about being careful.

I have searched Google all around and not much help, forums tend to be old from 2005.

I hope someone can help.

Edit: I am asking if I should get a screen protector.

Last edited by Raukue; 10-28-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added Edit.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-27-2008   #2 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Screen protectors are a MUST. I cannot stress that enough. There are games out there that will scratch the shit out of your screens due to the way its played.

モノノ怪

10-28-2008   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodVeil
Screen protectors are a MUST. I cannot stress that enough. There are games out there that will scratch the shit out of your screens due to the way its played.
I guess I was leaning more towards getting them but still unsure, afraid of messing up the DS. Is that a brand you recommend? Hori seems to be the best out there and is approved by Nintendo I believe.

10-28-2008   #4 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Depends how much you wanna spend. Nintendo brand will be more expensive. Anything else is debatable. I just buy the GameStop brand from our local GameStop :| its not like theres a difference in quality or anything. Just be careful when you put them on, so it doesnt bubble.

モノノ怪

10-28-2008   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Yeah... it is the whole bubble thing that worries me, if it would ruin my DS. And how I want a brand of protectors that leaves none which seems that the Hori brand does that which is that the Nintendo brand? Looks Nintendo official. If not, what is the Nintendo brand?

Just even a lil air bubble can bother me. Me having OCD more likely than not which makes me drive to wanna be a perfectionist though I know I am far from so.

10-28-2008   #6 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Nintendo brand/approved is gonna have the official Nintendo seal on it .-. Like Hori.

モノノ怪

10-28-2008   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Ah cool. I suppose Hori it is then. I just hope I can find them in stores and not have too much trouble with that going store hopping and all trying to find them. Same goes for the case protectors.

10-28-2008   #8 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

My screen protector is the kind you put on and take out when you're done? I mean, it'll stay for a long period of time, but it won't stick and bubble @__@

I <3 KUDA

10-28-2008   #9 (permalink)
stole your

Haiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the rough

I don't like screen protectors. I bought a Nintendo box with some accessories, one of them were screen protectors. When I tried to put them on, the DS looked fugly, I had to push the touch screen harder (which made me nervous) and there was a weird sound coming out of it each time I clicked.

When I removed it, a bit of glue sticked there (only on one corner though, phew) and I had to find a way to get it off. I just went using my DS around and it's all fine.
The touch screen isn't that fragile. Sure, it gets all scratched over time, but that's normal, you don't really have to worry.

My friend's dad uses the same Palmtop for over 15 years. You can imagine how the screen looks. :x

Edit: Case protectors are a must, though. Don't get one of those that you can put games and blah, try to get one just for the DS. It's safer.
I have a game case and a DS case. The DS case is all comfy and blah, and the games case is resistant if it falls.

Lemme search for pichurz.

Spoiler!

That's the game case. It's pretty good, and comes with an extra stylus. Nintendo official if I'm not wrong, but it's not expensive at all. Up to 6 games.

Still trying to find the case pic. :U

amagictrick l
l click to: my art thread

Last edited by Haiko; 10-28-2008 at 04:12 PM.

10-28-2008   #10 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiko
I don't like screen protectors. I bought a Nintendo box with some accessories, one of them were screen protectors. When I tried to put them on, the DS looked fugly, I had to push the touch screen harder (which made me nervous) and there was a weird sound coming out of it each time I clicked.

When I removed it, a bit of glue sticked there (only on one corner though, phew) and I had to find a way to get it off. I just went using my DS around and it's all fine.
The touch screen isn't that fragile. Sure, it gets all scratched over time, but that's normal, you don't really have to worry.

My friend's dad uses the same Palmtop for over 15 years. You can imagine how the screen looks. :x

Edit: Case protectors are a must, though. Don't get one of those that you can put games and blah, try to get one just for the DS. It's safer.
I have a game case and a DS case. The DS case is all comfy and blah, and the games case is resistant if it falls.

^ this

don't like using screen protectors

10-28-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiko

Spoiler!

That's the game case. It's pretty good, and comes with an extra stylus. Nintendo official if I'm not wrong, but it's not expensive at all. Up to 6 games.

Still trying to find the case pic. :U
Sounds like a bad experience there. Not all screen protectors are good. Was the accessory box licensed by Nintendo? If not then that is why. You have to be careful. Seems the one that is official by Nintendo is the Hori brand, does not leave any glue or residue as it sticks with static and not some adhesive. From the reviews I read it does not affect sensitivity.

As for the game cause yeah I believe that is the Hori brand there. Which I plan to get. Well their DS case, the game case... probably not until I get at least 6 games. Heh.

As for the DS case...

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/87...08_215X215.jpg
http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=1...8660&mid=66998

Hori brand and all. Hmm.

Back to the screen protector issue, Nintendo on their site even states to be careful getting screen protectors especially ones that are not officially licensed by Nintendo. And I can only see that the Hori brand has the official licensed Nintendo logo.

Anyway thanks for your response and other people's responses. I feel more sure about the Hori screen protectors now.

10-28-2008   #12 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

To those that dont like screen protectors:

Try playing a game that involves constant scratching and such at the touch screen, like Wario Ware Touched or TWEWY, then get back to me. Sorry, but the few scratches my touch screen endured through games like that, even being as careful as I could (Which, sometimes cant be helped) prompted screen protectors to be a must. There are games out there that WILL scratch your screen, no matter what precautions you take. I dont really like the 'Sure, it gets all scratched over time, but that's normal, you don't really have to worry' statement due to this. While thats true, some games are more touch screen dominant than others. Perhaps next time research a little into the brand or something, Ive replaced my screen protectors 3 times now, and have never had any residue or anything of the like left.

モノノ怪

10-28-2008   #13 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

i don't use screen protectors... but like viel said, i don't use stylus heavy games so i guess it just depends what you're going to be playing. i only have a nerf case for my DS. and the games i play are mostly button games. i actually lost both my stylus and i do fine without it cos i rarely use it... then again the only game i ever play now day is YGO 08.

-stares at shiny new and neglected spectrobes game-

and why isn't this in game section?

10-28-2008   #14 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Stylus heavy games = protection >:

Mine got more than a few scratches from Wario Ware .-. So I dont ever leave it nekkid anymore.

モノノ怪

10-28-2008   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Someone had showed me something neat.

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Nintendo Gaming Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Seems nice and can get it replaced if you mess up. Though I read up on this.

BestSkinsEver vs invisibleSHIELD DS Lite Skin Review - ( Review, Preview, Article, Interview, Q&A ) - GamersHell.com

Which seems like BSE is better but no lifetime warranty. But it is half the price. They both seem neat but must be hell putting them on and worry about dust and dirt and so on. Ah well.

All and all best I can do is the Hori case protector and screen protectors and be careful to try and preserve my DS Lite in the long run. I just really hope I can find both those things in stores. ><;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDevlin
i don't use screen protectors... but like viel said, i don't use stylus heavy games so i guess it just depends what you're going to be playing. i only have a nerf case for my DS. and the games i play are mostly button games. i actually lost both my stylus and i do fine without it cos i rarely use it... then again the only game i ever play now day is YGO 08.

-stares at shiny new and neglected spectrobes game-

and why isn't this in game section?
I had thought the game section was for MMOs only or something.

On another note... I plan to get Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. From looking at store sites it does not seem to be in stores anymore? That or they just don't list it online anymore? I hope I get luck with that. As for what I said about the screen protectors and such, I don't want to order online. I don't want it used either but chances are if I find it in stores it will be at GameStop or something and will be used.

Darn I should of added this to my previous post instead of making another. Oh well.

CATH: PLEASE DO NOT TRIPLE-POST. The "Edit" button is there for a reason. Thank you.

Last edited by Catharsis; 10-29-2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: triple posts merged

10-29-2008   #16 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

DoS has been out for a while now, chances are slim of finding a brand new one in stores.

モノノ怪

10-29-2008   #17 (permalink)
stole your

Haiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the rough

I play Elite Beat Agents (SOMEONE GIVE ME OUENDAN Q_________Q) all the time. I the game I played the most was EBA, and my DS screen is fine.

I know it's not the same thing with the protectors, but meh, I don't want to risk it.
And yeah, it's a Nintendo official box, as it has the official seal.

Maybe it happened because I bought it at Wal-Mart. :x *shot*

amagictrick l
l click to: my art thread

10-29-2008   #18 (permalink)
[露丹恵瑠]
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Ontario [Yeah stalk me OHOHOHO]
Ronin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Ronin
IGN: Show
Level: Your
Guild: Moves

Hey just like a girl be gentle to her and wear protection since its both your first time

10-29-2008   #19 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
Hey just like a girl be gentle to her and wear protection since its both your first time
it wasn't my DS first time. i got her used!

10-29-2008   #20 (permalink)
[露丹恵瑠]
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Ontario [Yeah stalk me OHOHOHO]
Ronin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Ronin
IGN: Show
Level: Your
Guild: Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDevlin
it wasn't my DS first time. i got her used!
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool