Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-28-2008   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Chronic420 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chronic420 Send a message via MSN to Chronic420 Send a message via Yahoo to Chronic420
Default OdinMs

Ok i was just wondering was this killed off after Mt's death?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-29-2008   #2 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Amanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really nice
IGN: Lucchinii
Class: Loli;Swordsmith
Level: 12;2x

Wut........?

06-29-2008   #3 (permalink)
Punching Bag

Skwie is an unknown quantity at this point
IGN: Skwie
Class: Money lt_treasurehunter
Guild: Kirameki

Firstly, OdinMS has absolutely nothing to do with MT.

Secondly, OdinMS went down because the owner is being sued by Nexon. Nexon is claiming the owner of OdinMS stole their code.. therefore they want 350.000 euro.
Whatever happens, the OdinMS server won't come back up until it's certain the server owner won't be sued.

06-29-2008   #4 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

OdinMS is completely different from MT, like Skwie said.
And the owner of OdinMS in getting sued by Nexon Europe (Was discovered recently). It would be quite stupid, and dangerous at the same time to keep the server running after you have received a subpoena, it's possible that you could get in even more trouble.

06-29-2008   #5 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Zamte will become famous soon enoughZamte will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zamte
IGN: Zamte
Class: Card Master to_cardmaster
Level: 101

I'm almost certain Nexon knows they can't win the lawsuit. That's not what it's about though.

Nexon is already "winning" because they got Odin to shut down development, and their servers. In the multiple months that Nexon can drag this out for, and keep Odin from developing, Odin could have been nearly fully functional. By doing this court case, they're stopping the growth of private Maplestory servers for a time. I don't know what they plan to do with the time they're making for themselves, but it's obvious that the idea is to stall for time. They've barely even proceeded into the suit over the last several weeks.

06-29-2008   #6 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Amanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really nice
IGN: Lucchinii
Class: Loli;Swordsmith
Level: 12;2x

They're most likely updating GMS A LOT with that time. Most of it being cash stuff probably.

06-29-2008   #7 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

What I'd really like to see is them continue development on their own private servers, without releasing the source right away, and without having it public on the web. They can give their GMs and developers they choose to bring in the info, and have them join and work with it in secret. Then once all of this blows over and they win the case, they can release a new version of the server, lightyears ahead of where it was when it was shut down.

06-30-2008   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Chronic420 Send a message via MSN to Chronic420 Send a message via Yahoo to Chronic420

Ok havent quite finished reading this whole thread, BUT yea i knew odin wasnt apart of MT, it was just odd it poofed when mt went down, which is why i asked, going to read rest of thread, add my opinion after

Edit:Ok first off i thought odin was being run out of like germany? if thats the case then doesnt that make nexons lawsuit fail? not exactly sure were nexon europe is being run out of, but either way, that would be like global Maple trying to sue the ppl running those gold sites when they're being run out of countrys that "supposedly" have it legal (this going off a few diff ppl from diff gold sites when talking to their live tech's that those sites have) (ive tryed threatening them in to closing their site) if this ms euro's run out of a totaly diffrent country then technically all they could do is threaten the company and or ppl who suply the private server that odin's being run on, correct me if im wrong not really sure on multi country/continent laws since im from the US and the laws for the states affect all the 50 states (well 48 not sure bout hawaii/alaska in some aspects) so it makes me just wonder cuz some things can be legal in 1 country and illegal in another regardless if they're on the same continent

can anyone eleborate? i know i might sound retarded in all this but curiosity has bit my ass

Last edited by Chronic420; 06-30-2008 at 11:47 PM.

07-01-2008   #9 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Most countries in the world are part of a group that agrees to uphold each other's copyrights, such as TRIPS. This is the case with nearly all of Europe, most of Asia, and the US.

German law also states that any lawsuits against a German citizen must be made near their place of residence. This is why Nexon korea, the parent company, not Nexon Europe (Based in London, England) or Nexon America (Based in Santa Monica, California, USA), is suing them from Hamburg.

Nexon is most likely making their suit based on copyright infringement and/or theft of intellectual property. It most likely won't hold, especially in Germany as they're more technologically involved than most countries are, and it's likely the judges will be more knowledgeable. However it's still forced Odin to shut down for a good while in which they can't opening do development or leave their source open.

The main reason private servers ever lose their cases, is due to people who don't understand. The company just loads the client up and says "This is our game, but they're running this server". Since the judge and/or jury may not understand that the game that they're actually looking at is not being altered or modified in any way, and is actually being accessed legally, and that all the server does is tell the client how to work, they think it's infringement of copyrights.

It'd be like... say some company sold a robot building kit, which is programmed in C++. Well, it'd be like me purchasing that robotics kit to sell in my hobby shop. Then taking one apart and playing with it to discover how it works, and making suplimental code for it, which I sold on the side to my customers if they wanted it as well, to allow the robot to do more fun things than it'd do on the basic software. If I did this, the company that produces the robot kit couldn't sue me for copyright infringement. I never modified their robot or their codes for it, all I did was give it other instructions that would also cause it to work in another way. Nothing I did was harmful, and it was completely made by me. It's entirely legal to do.

Last edited by Zamte; 07-01-2008 at 06:53 PM.

07-01-2008   #10 (permalink)
User Error
Games
MapleStoryEden Eternal
Awards Event Winner

Fuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of light

Zamte, can Matze (OdinMS person) hire you as a sub-lawyer just for that last paragraph??? (lol, im jking but that was well explained)

Also, too lazy to check, I agree wtih whoever said they should continue to code/crap.

Right now if EVERY private server out there merged into one, we would probably have a fully functional Private Maplestory.

Some have GPQ, some have fully working 4th jobs, some have PQs, etc

07-02-2008   #11 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamte
Most countries in the world are part of a group that agrees to uphold each other's copyrights, such as TRIPS. This is the case with nearly all of Europe, most of Asia, and the US.

German law also states that any lawsuits against a German citizen must be made near their place of residence. This is why Nexon korea, the parent company, not Nexon Europe (Based in London, England) or Nexon America (Based in Santa Monica, California, USA), is suing them from Hamburg.

Nexon is most likely making their suit based on copyright infringement and/or theft of intellectual property. It most likely won't hold, especially in Germany as they're more technologically involved than most countries are, and it's likely the judges will be more knowledgeable. However it's still forced Odin to shut down for a good while in which they can't opening do development or leave their source open.

The main reason private servers ever lose their cases, is due to people who don't understand. The company just loads the client up and says "This is our game, but they're running this server". Since the judge and/or jury may not understand that the game that they're actually looking at is not being altered or modified in any way, and is actually being accessed legally, and that all the server does is tell the client how to work, they think it's infringement of copyrights.

It'd be like... say some company sold a robot building kit, which is programmed in C++. Well, it'd be like me purchasing that robotics kit to sell in my hobby shop. Then taking one apart and playing with it to discover how it works, and making suplimental code for it, which I sold on the side to my customers if they wanted it as well, to allow the robot to do more fun things than it'd do on the basic software. If I did this, the company that produces the robot kit couldn't sue me for copyright infringement. I never modified their robot or their codes for it, all I did was give it other instructions that would also cause it to work in another way. Nothing I did was harmful, and it was completely made by me. It's entirely legal to do.
now with all that said, was odin at all makeing any $ on game? cuz that also might be why they're so anal, like every money hungry company if something similar to theres, if they catch wind its making $ then they pitch a fit, or even have the impression, otherwise i dont think they give a crap, which it sounds like the thought of $ being made crossed their minds

07-02-2008   #12 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the owner of OdinMS was American. And I think it was said that (on the "Blog") Nexon Europe was in Hamburg, Germany. I do know that the servers are hosted from Germany, but I think the owner is American.

Odin should win.

PS- They made their money through donations. So yes they made money, but it wasn't forced. (Which makes it even more legal.)

07-02-2008   #13 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Donations are legally seperate from profits. No profit was ever made on the game. Any money collected was kept in a fund for server costs and maintainance, and nothing else. None of it was ever personally used by the people running it for themselves.

Both of the head Developers, Matze and Serpendiem, are German, and Nexon Europe is stationed in London. Nexon Europe is not the one suing them. Nexon Korea is.

07-02-2008   #14 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Oh, well now it makes more sense lol.
I hope they win, which they probably will, but still good to cheer!