Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-17-2013   #1 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy
Default Battlemage Archetypes

I realize that I haven't really played/seen A LOT of games, but I've seen quiiiite a few. And it seems to me that the idea of a Battlemage is very... rare. Why is this? Do people just not care for or like battlemages? Are they not "unique" or something?

Personally, in my opinion, a battlemage is one of the most creative and awesome things out there for games. To my knowledge, only one game has ever done a battlemage archetype, and that would be Dungeon Fighter Online. I assume quite a few of you have played it (given it had its IGN thread), as did I. I loved how they did it. For anyone that didn't...

Dungeon Fighter Online - Battle Mage Preview - YouTube

That's a battlemage. Their concept is using their spear or staff in order to physically beat the enemy's brains out. She'd use different abilites, such as stabbing enemies, slamming them on the ground, slamming the ground around her, extending her spear/staff to impale things, etc. She would also create Chasers (magical orbs) when attacking at a % chance. When she used these orbs, she would get a buff depending on the orb. There was Light, Dark, Fire, and Ice(Water?). Light gave attack speed, Darkness gave ??? (I want to say a chance to deal massive damage to lesser mobs or instakill them), Fire gave extra damage, and Ice/Water made your attacks slow the enemy.

Unless I've missed something, no games really employ a battlemage, do they? I really wish they would. I can't be the only one that absolutely loves battlemages.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-17-2013   #2 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Many games have battlemages though they are usually called different names like bladesinger, sword mage, spellsword etc. D&D and its video games did battlemages long before DFO.

Last edited by Metty; 09-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.

09-17-2013   #3 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

I've said this before... you don't look enough, at all (referring to your "lack of RPGs on PS3" thread).

Here you go:

Battle Mages honestly aren't as rare as you think dw.

09-17-2013   #4 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Euler Breslau
Class: SMN-main, AST.
Level: i200 SMN
Guild: Get Some LLC

You mention using spears and staves, but here's another iteration of a melee (battle)mage kind of class. Healing, summoning spirits from totems, smashing faces in with lava-infused weapons, throwing lighting, ice, and lava in a single elemental burst, setting things on fire, shooting lightning bolts, and freezing people in place. There's even an orb mechanic where you buff yourself with a lightning shield that damages any melee attackers who target you and builds charges you can use to gain instant procs on some of your brain-bashing skills.

Diablo 3 Wizards have an ability called Spectral Blades which you can base your build around to play as a more melee-class. Doesn't have that bit of "smashing faces with a hammer," but it does have a similar playstyle.

idk. There's tons of examples of battlemages out there.

Last edited by kuyaBaka; 09-17-2013 at 12:51 PM.

09-17-2013   #5 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

What everyone else said. There are many examples, and also plenty of cases where players have options of fusing spellcasting-like classes to fighter-likes, and vice versa. Just play more games.