LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-04-2013   #1 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation
Default Alright, I need to know what's up with this.

Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter: one woman's gaming experience | Technology | theguardian.com

In my whole life of playing games, whenever there's someone people think are a female, or say that they're a female, they'll get praised more than jesus himself. Lots of compliments, people hitting on them, free items and/or services, people will rush to their beck and call.

So tell me, do any of you have any stories or experiences at all about a female actually getting harassed like this, instead of worshiped? At this point, I'm unsure whether the media is just churning out standard bullshit, it's just a vocal minority, they're not telling the other side of the story, or they are specifically cherry picking the one out of hundreds or thousands that get treated like this.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-05-2013   #2 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall any "girls" getting harassed more than the average male gamer either. Some guys have lost their lives over MMO drama.

08-05-2013   #3 (permalink)
(<ゝω・)☆
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterVindictusLuniaRakion: Chaos Force

Blizt is a splendid one to beholdBlizt is a splendid one to beholdBlizt is a splendid one to beholdBlizt is a splendid one to beholdBlizt is a splendid one to beholdBlizt is a splendid one to beholdBlizt is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Blizt

Well I never heard of such harsh harassment in my gaming life, or did I see/meet any female players being in similar situation.

I however did hear some cases where the female players were not accepted as female, either because she was using a male character, or other accusing her personality, behavior, or skill is more or definitely that of a male.

08-05-2013   #4 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

It's a vocal minority, for sure. Don't forget that a**h****, misogynistic, douches are also capable of logging onto an online game.

It's definitely not bullshit since I've seen things like sexism and sexual discrimination happen in MMOs. It's just that most of the time people shrug it off, hop on a different server, or log off and ignore it rather than confront them or pull out the reporting tickets.

I've had to switch alts out of a few guilds just because most of them were very insensitive to women and the LGBTQ community which made me uncomfortable. I've seen female players constantly picked on and made fun of for having periods or not playing Maplestory or Hello Kitty Online (speaking as if they didn't know her personally to be thought of as a "joke"). All I did was report and leave, hopping over to my main's guild because they're much more civil about it.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!