Loong - The Power of the Dragon
Looking for a new MMO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-23-2013   #1 (permalink)
R
oooo
Games
Trickster OnlineCabal OnlineDivine SoulsElsword
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

R has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to R
Default Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

Quote:
Those who enjoyed the successful 2010 survival horror title Amnesia: The Dark Descent, developed by Frictional games for the P.C, should get excited and possibly even terrified for the upcoming release of Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. As the second full installment in the Amnesia Series, A Machine For Pigs will not be a direct sequel. Instead it will feature a new cast of characters and a new mysterious storyline. Either way, developers promise the game will terrorize gamers into submission just as much as the original, which some reviewers claimed to be one of the scariest games made. A Machine For Pigs is being produced by the British indie game developers The Chinese Room, and published by Frictional studios. It was originally meant to be released around Halloween 2012 as only a small, experimental game set in the Amnesia world. But according to Frictional Games, as development began, much more potential was seen for A Machine For Pigs to evolve into a full fledged game up to par with the original.

Like the The Dark Descent, the storyline of A Machine For Pigs is steeped in mystery and a overwhelming sense of fear. But this time around, we are taken sixty years into the future, away from the claustrophobic Victorian castle in which gamers ran from H.P Lovecraft inspired monsters while trying to unearth the answers to the games endless questions. The year is now 1899. You are Oswald Mandus, a wealthy industrialist who has returned home to London from an expedition to Mexico that ended in tragedy. Taken with fever, he falls into an unconscious state and dreams of a large, steampunk inspired machine, an industrial monstrosity which he has never laid eyes upon in reality. Upon waking he hears the horrid grinding of a motor kicking into gear, could it be the machine from his dreams?

Thus begins Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. The game play follows the same first person style of exploration as The Dark Descent. While the same elements of survival horror remain, there are certain elements from the first game that have been removed, such as the inventory system, and new ones that have taken their place. The environment will be much larger and includes areas where the player must explore the outdoors. The enemies will also be much more intelligent. Players will not be able to easily predicted their patterns of movement, making for a greater challenge.

Something Sinister brews in the dreams (reality?) of Oswald Manus.

There is no doubt that The Chinese Room and Frictional Games are taking great effort to bring fans of Amnesia something that will live up to the experience of The Dark Descent, a game that brought survival horror to a new level. For those who want to face the dread of the deadly darkness and reveal its terrible secrets, look out for Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs for the P.C in the second quarter of 2013. Check out the trailer below. It shows off the game’s beautiful new locations, complete with gorgeous music, horrific screams in the darkness, and very disturbing pig noises. (Information courtesy of Joystiq, Building a Machine For Pigs and Expanding the Universe of Amnesia)

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-24-2013   #2 (permalink)
R
oooo
Games
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

R has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond repute

Save 20% on Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on Steam

Less than three weeks left!

09-21-2013   #3 (permalink)
R
oooo
Games

Sooo I just finished this.

Not as good as the first game, nor is it as scary. It's also easier than The Dark Descent. I died only once through the whole thing, and it was at the end of the game. It didn't even make me jump like the first game did and the only thing that did kind of scare me was, again, at the end of the game.

A lot of things were removed, as well. Like tinderboxes to light up rooms with, for example. There's no oil for your lantern, either - you have an infinite light source with it. Speaking of lights; light (including your lantern) will flicker on and off when monsters are nearby. Makes it too easy to hide and not get caught.

Meh. Overall, I did enjoy the game, but I have to say I'm very disappointed with it and that I don't see myself playing it ever again.

09-22-2013   #4 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

I'm shocked how short this game ended up being and surprised they didn't just make this a stand alone game.
It might have been better off that if it didn't have to stay up to the standards Amnesia created.

--—Frenchbread is

09-24-2013   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaSilkroad OnlineDynasty Warriors OnlineTales of Fantasy

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

I really regret purchasing this game. Pretty much everything which made the first Amnesia a great game got cut out or dumbed down. I played two hours in total so far and I don´t feel like finishing it anymore.
Everything is so snore-inducing...

11-12-2013   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

twinblade is on a distinguished road

I'm quite surprised this game was quite short. I didn't play it for myself, I just watched an LP of it.