ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Game Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/)
-   -   Gamers versus Spiders, and virtual phobias (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/121402-gamers-versus-spiders-virtual-phobias.html)

Kongro 04-06-2013 10:02 AM

Gamers versus Spiders, and virtual phobias

Gamers vs Spiders | Insert Quarterly

Quite an interesting read.
I've seen this kind of behavior all over the internet, and it never fails to confound me.

Is anyone here an arachnophobe? I'd love to hear your thought about this.

Light 04-06-2013 11:24 AM

Depends on the realism of the spider for me to have any real reaction to it.

The Skyrim spiders are quite large and cartoony, the way they move is not very realistic either.

When it comes to real spiders the fact it has 8 very long hairy legs making it move very quickly, the ability to generate very sticky webs, and the way it moves when it's walking is what makes them pretty intimidating to me, since a spider can be anywhere at any time and their bites hurt and linger for quite some time.

When I was young there was always a giant spider with a massive web right on my window outside, it didn't help that I woke up to see one hanging from my ceiling above my bed after already suffering a nightmare; watching it slowly move its legs down the web was the most creepy thing I had ever seen.
You'll find them anywhere, and their webs have the weirdest sticky feeling that you can't simply rub off either.

The spider in limbo is far more realistic in its look and especially the way it moves around so I'd take to that one a lot more, but if it wasn't then I'd shrug it off just as I do many other games.

Almora 04-06-2013 01:57 PM

It depends on the size and realism for me as well. I haven't played any of the games mentioned in the article, but I did have an encounter with these virtual creatures once in another game. I was dungeon crawling in F.A.T.E and the arachnids that I had to kill were medium sized and it wasn't scary at all. If I had to eyeball the length, it would be about an inch if I were to place a ruler directly to my screen.

Most of my experiences with virtual spiders are generally found elsewhere, like in movies(Harry Potter) and a cartoon(Spider Riders). Now the ones in HP are the kind that I react to. When they were slowly crawling down from the trees with their ungodly size(the gross sfx made it worse) and in droves, I just lose it.

As for the cartoon, Spider Riders, I remembering waking up super early every Saturday to watch it. The spiders here were mechanical and they didn't have that instinct of wanting to chomp down on every human that crosses their paths. They looked completely harmless and the characters actually relied on these mechanical spiders as companions. I wasn't afraid of them since they were nowhere close to a realistic depiction of an arachnid we'd find irl, they were actually pretty cool.

RoflKnife 04-06-2013 08:11 PM

No virtual spiders ever creep me out. Real ones do, just because they are bugs/insects/whatever you want to call them that can bite. It's not a "jump on the bed and squirm for someone to kill it" fear though, it's a

"****ING SPIDER, I CAST FIST!" one. Along with all the other bugs and etc. I come across.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zciutk.jpg

Veloze 04-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoflKnife (Post 1812103)
No virtual spiders ever creep me out. Real ones do, just because they are bugs/insects/whatever you want to call them that can bite. It's not a "jump on the bed and squirm for someone to kill it" fear though, it's a

"****ING SPIDER, I CAST FIST!" one. Along with all the other bugs and etc. I come across.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zciutk.jpg

Pretty much this.

Pshfrk 04-06-2013 10:07 PM

Spiders. . . I find them cute/adorable , so I don't really mind their " pixel " form ! I enjoy them since I can " interact " with them, even if in the end I have to kill them, anyway ( Resident Evil being a nice example although getting infected wasn't as fun <_< ) and that's something you can't do as much irl, since I don't really know how to deal with them and they're also sometimes unpredictable ( Although I'd like to learn how to, at least with the non-dangerous ones around my house, since I've got bitten by some )

Kind of sad how people are terrified of all of the spiders and end up killing them . I'm aware some are really dangerous and aggressive, and you shouldn't let them crawl/jump around your house ( especially if you have children/toddlers playing around ), but that doesn't mean you HAVE to kill them ( although it seems like the " comfier " way to deal with it ) but that's just my opinion ~

It's sad how sometimes you end up killing them for some reason, though . . . At least it's been for me ;n; <3

Metty 04-07-2013 04:43 PM

I don't really mind them, grew up around big ones as a child due to previous home owners pet spider getting loose and breeding. Now that I'm in Ireland spiders are few until winter time. Crawl on my desk, watching me from the wall, I don't care. But if you go near my food on the desk I'll murder you. As for virtual spiders, I just prepare for what may be a bullshit fight involving an exoskeleton immune to swords/maces/axes and probably them spitting acid at me.