ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Game Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/)
-   -   Wizardry Online (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/118678-wizardry-online.html)

HoroTheWise 11-10-2012 09:52 AM

Wizardry Online

Does anyone have extra wizardry online beta keys?

RoflKnife 11-10-2012 02:40 PM

Might as well post some info about the game.

Has permadeath, and expects you'll probably die a few times within your play time (However, the permadeath is only a chance based on how many times you died and other factors, if you play safe, you probably won't permadeath even if you die). There's an "account level" separate from character level that gives you bonuses and caps your character levels. The game is openly PK everywhere, even in town, although the guards will attack you, and PKing labels you as a criminal which will probably get you killed. Players are able to put bounties on other players.

You can steal items off dead player bodies, status effects are pretty nasty along with traps. Each dungeon has some puzzles and sort of feels like a single player adventure, except for the fact other players are running around too.

The game gives you semi-random stats when you level up based on your stat growth. You can sort of freely change classes, and can multi-class to a small extent. Combat is action, taking in account for weapon and skill ranges with actual hitboxes and sidesteps/blocks with stamina management.

I'd describe this as an in-depth RPG with old fashion roots with some modern updates.

mikecxz 11-11-2012 11:25 PM

sounds interesting, but how does the whole permadeath thing work? sounds a bit different from the typical, you die, you start over from scratch that permadeath usually implies.

RoflKnife 11-12-2012 12:03 AM

The more important level is your account level actually. Items have account level requirement, not character level requirement. As your account level goes up, you get a leveling bonus to up to certain levels too.

If you die, you lose your character and everything he had on him. You just keep your account level, but it's pretty painful to lose your upgraded equipment and whatnot.

buta 11-12-2012 12:59 AM

How close is it in terms of feel to the old Wizardry games? I think I only played 8 but it was pretty fun.

RoflKnife 11-12-2012 02:14 AM

Frankly, not very Wizardry at all. It only has a few similarities. If you're looking for a literal Wizardry game except with online components, this isn't it.

mikecxz 11-12-2012 10:47 AM

seems interesting so i signed up for the beta, now just to wait and see if i actually get accepted into it.

Cornflake 11-12-2012 01:48 PM

the beta keys seem to be given out at random, not in order of signup. i mistakenly signed up with another email address maybe a week after the first. recieved a key on the late sign up, but not the early one.

i can't say anything about the game because i don't want SOE to take my house, but they did a webcast a couple weeks ago which answers some questions sonyonlinetv - SOE Webcast: Wizardry Online

Griever 12-02-2012 11:28 AM

Sounds cool. Anyone got a Beta Key?

mikecxz 12-06-2012 12:43 AM

just got accepted into the beta, downloading it now.

mikecxz 12-07-2012 05:32 AM

pretty fun so far, aside from the wow WTF just happened moments that tend to happen.

currently at soul level 2 and just made a thief because im getting tired of getting owned by treasure chest traps but i can not seem to do well with it at all. range is super short, doesn't seem to do much damage aside from skills, and survivability is terribad. admittedly i haven't tried the trap tree at all but i feel like if you need to set up a plethora of traps to kill anything it is going to take many times longer to get anywhere then a warrior who can just plow through it without worrying at all.

as for the wow WTF moments, the biggest one is the exploding chest trap, seems pretty much like instant death if you get it. other then that i ran into what looked like a big kobald in the sewers when i was getting the screws for the final area mission warp and it did over 4x my max health in a single hit, was not expecting that. also, i want to punch whoever decided it was a good idea for stats to be able to go down on level up in the face, but maybe that's just a personal thing and other people don't mind.

Veloze 12-07-2012 09:01 AM

My main complaints about the game so far is that it's pretty ugly and those treasure chest traps are very annoying.

Otherwise it's an alright game.

Griever 12-08-2012 09:51 PM

Yeah, the graphics are butt ugly. Even most Korean grindfests nowadays have nice graphics, no reason why an ARPG MMO shouldn't have one.

I prefer the combat system of RaiderZ to this honestly.

mikecxz 12-08-2012 11:44 PM

at soul level three now, and difficult SPIKES MASSIVELY at the castle area. it's crazy how much harder it got compared to the last areas, still soloable (with a warrior atleast...) but i doubt a thief or mage would ever get through this without a party.

mikecxz 12-14-2012 03:04 AM

It's in open beta now for anyone who wants to try it.

mikecxz 12-17-2012 02:19 AM

forgot to mention it before, but they're wiping the open beta as well.

Forums

one of the SOE guys said so, so it's probably true.

mikecxz 01-30-2013 07:52 AM

Game should be going live today, assuming there's no problems.

poringslasher 02-06-2013 11:39 PM

sounds like a coold game. though perma death is really scary. question: does the game have a bank/storage or something? so that in the event that you die, you won't be broke everytime?

mikecxz 02-07-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poringslasher (Post 1803661)
sounds like a coold game. though perma death is really scary. question: does the game have a bank/storage or something? so that in the event that you die, you won't be broke everytime?

yes, it does have a bank, to upgrade for more slots though you have to pay cash.

also, you get two chances to res each time you die and your base chance is probably going to be above 90%~ until way later on. you can used blessed equipment to raise the chances, not only that but the easily farm able soul medals raise the res % chance by 5% each. however, inversely you can lower your res chance, like getting caught by the reapers when you die lowers it by 10% each time you're caught.

poringslasher 02-13-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecxz (Post 1803720)
yes, it does have a bank, to upgrade for more slots though you have to pay cash.

aww crap. why does it always have to involve micro transactions when it comes to expanding inventory slots T_T