League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-20-2012   #1 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy
Default Good games for the PS2 for me? (And a question about the PS3)

I guess this is an okay place for this thread.

Um, without going into it too much, I just need new games for the PS2. I'm using a PS2 emulator, and my laptop isn't amazing, so I'd rather not the games be anything with high graphics.

Games for the PS2 I've played and loved:

Spoiler!

That's all I can think of that I can be bothered to freaking remember. I went through Gamefaq's list of all PS2 games and put down the ones I could remember ever playing. I loved most of them, a couple I wasn't a -huge- fan of, but eh. Just to give you an idea. I lean more towards strategy games and fantasy games. Like Disgaea, .hack, Dragon Quest VIII, those kind of games. But I will still gladly play games of other genres.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great. I'm currently downloading KH 2 to see how it fairs on this laptop, and I will give results once I get them.

Now, onto the PS3 thing. I'll have money in a couple of months to buy a new PS3 with two controllers (for me and my brother). I also want to buy a few games. So, based on what I gave up top, I'd like recommendations for PS3 games as well. I already plan on getting Disgaea 3 and 4, since I love the series and REALLY want to play them. But, other than that, I've only ever briefly played like three PS3 games ever. So, help on that please.

The question I had about the PS3 is if the PS3's models that are sold on places like Amazon or in retail stores like Wal-Mart or something like that. Kinda big stores, or game stores like Gamestop, would those current models be able to play PS2 games as well? Another question I have is that how high of a memory should I get if I buy a PS3? As I do hear PS3 games take up a rather large amount of memory.

That's about it. Feel free to just post and respond with a tidbit or two about anything in the entire post. Thanks. ^^

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-20-2012   #2 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Now play Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix, Kingdom Hears 2 Final Mix +, And Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories.

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

10-20-2012   #3 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru

All .hack games? G.U. included?

Seeing some RPG in there, I'd put out Persona 3 FES (has to be, must be) and Persona 4 (though this is getting a Vita remake, if you have that console). Turn-based RPG/dating sim etc.
I don't really play much else PS2 games, but if you don't mind dabbling around since it's not costing you any money, Ar Tonelico is sure to take up a lot of time.
I found Star Ocean Til the End of Time fun, thought it had interesting combat mechanics for its time.

I believe only the gen 1 (the super fat ones with gloss finish) are backwards compatible with PS2. I'm not sure about the gen 3 (the newest ones), but my gen 2 (matte finish) definitely can't play PS2.
Or was it that Sony removed backwards compatibility with an update? I can't remember.

I think I have the 120gb model? The one that was like, $249.99 I think. I honestly don't think you really need a lot unless you count on downloading a lot of movies and games right onto the hard drive, 120gb is covering enough for me.

As for games, if you enjoyed Guilty Gear as a fighting game, they're releasing the reboot(?) of AC+ as AC+R in November on PSN, so I guess that's something to look forward to. If you like fighting games in general, you could wait for BlazBlue Chronophantasma, and... I would say Persona 4 Arena, but apparently you live in Europe. Pity.
Outside of fighting games, Borderlands 2 has been providing a lot of mileage of play and has splitscreen co-op for your brother if you want.
If you like really quirky RPGs that don't exactly have a lot of substance in their story (outside of fanservice and hurrdurr humor), Neptunia is fun. The first one has a really lackluster combat system, I believe people compared it to Trinity Universe? The second one is a lot better from what I understand (still need to play through it, OTL).
If you can play more patient RPGs and pour a lot of time into it, I hear Rune Factory and Atelier series are good. I can't say for myself because I have the worst attention span despite owning both, barely even put time into them.
If you like music games that are just artwork (because honestly, that's what PS3 games mostly are), Child of Eden is beautiful. Its replay value ultimately boils down to whether you want to unlock more extra crap or beat your high score or whatever, but it's pretty and centers around Genki Rockets as the music, so...
Pretty much whatever game I have that seems somewhat relevant, the rest of my games are meh. OTL

10-20-2012   #4 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

The big fat original PS3s are definitely backwards compatible, the new model that came after isn't.

I don't know about that brand new even-slimmer model.

10-20-2012   #5 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest Dragon Quest 8, but you already have that listed. I personally find 'Bully' to be a great game with an awesome soundtrack, and it is a game you might enjoy. I would also suggest Silent Hill 2 and 3 (SH3 being my favorite), but those games may not be your style of entertainment.

If you are into classic games, you also might enjoy 'Sonic Mega Collection Plus', which is amazing (includes Sonic 1+2+3 and all the Sonic & Knuckles addons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzor
I don't know about that brand new even-slimmer model.
Yeah, all models that are newer than the original fat PS3 aren't backwards compatible. It is definitely a shame.

Last edited by Jon; 10-20-2012 at 05:20 PM.

10-21-2012   #7 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

God Hand.

GOD OR DEMON, WHAT AM I, ITS TIME FOR ME TO CHOOSE MY PATH

| Adventus |

10-21-2012   #8 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil679
All .hack games? G.U. included?

Seeing some RPG in there, I'd put out Persona 3 FES (has to be, must be) and Persona 4 (though this is getting a Vita remake, if you have that console). Turn-based RPG/dating sim etc.
I can't emulate Persona games worth a crap.

Quote:
I don't really play much else PS2 games, but if you don't mind dabbling around since it's not costing you any money, Ar Tonelico is sure to take up a lot of time.
I found Star Ocean Til the End of Time fun, thought it had interesting combat mechanics for its time.
I always wanted to try that one, but I forgot about it. Thanks.

Quote:

As for games, if you enjoyed Guilty Gear as a fighting game, they're releasing the reboot(?) of AC+ as AC+R in November on PSN, so I guess that's something to look forward to. If you like fighting games in general, you could wait for BlazBlue Chronophantasma, and... I would say Persona 4 Arena, but apparently you live in Europe. Pity.
Outside of fighting games, Borderlands 2 has been providing a lot of mileage of play and has splitscreen co-op for your brother if you want.
I thought Borderlands 2 was for PC only? o.o

Quote:
Things and stuff.
Thanks a bunch. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vith
I was going to suggest Dragon Quest 8, but you already have that listed. I personally find 'Bully' to be a great game with an awesome soundtrack, and it is a game you might enjoy. I would also suggest Silent Hill 2 and 3 (SH3 being my favorite), but those games may not be your style of entertainment.

If you are into classic games, you also might enjoy 'Sonic Mega Collection Plus', which is amazing (includes Sonic 1+2+3 and all the Sonic & Knuckles addons).
Not a fan of scary games. I scare easily. I don't really do classic games either. I played the classic Sonic games and I was pretty "meh" on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care
Here are some PS2 games that I've played and enjoyed. Maybe you'll enjoy them, too:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Yumidesu; 10-21-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Derp editing.

10-21-2012   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Willy is on a distinguished road

I've seen a couple of my choices listed already, but if you're looking into Child of Eden for PS3 (Beautiful game, I love it), go with Rez too. It's made by the same studio, ect. I emulate it myself and it's pretty easy to run even for an older machine, plus it's a quick download. I haven't seen Grim Grimoire listed yet, I started playing that last night and I'm enjoying it a good bit. And like some other posters said the Persona series is great. If you have a PSP and have it homebrewed you could download Persona 3 Portable for it. Way of the Samurai is also a pretty cool game, same goes for about any of the Tales of games. Then you have Metal Gear Solid if you can run it and Rogue Galaxy. PS2 has A LOT of great options. Oh, and Max Payne is great too.

As for PS3, to me Borderlands 2 is just not as fun unless you're playing with somebody else regular. I personally don't like the game, I found it a little too repetitive overall. If you have the money at the time, you can get Journey off PSN, that game is amazing. Then Tales of Xillia is soon coming to NA and I'm going to assume Europe too, so look out for that if you enjoy any other Tales games. I'd tell you to get Tales of Vesperia, my favorite Tales of game, but the PS3 release is still only in Japan if I remember correctly. You also have the Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection for PS3, some great oldies that are also on the PS2.

10-21-2012   #10 (permalink)
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

PlayStation 2 - /v/'s Recommended Games Wiki

This is all you need.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

10-21-2012   #11 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

YES! You must play Tales of the Abyss. Of course you can play it on the 3DS now and it's a little bit better with load times and such...but there's no real difference in the content between the 2~ There's also Tales of Legendia which is definitely not a heavy graphic game since it's older haha.

Just thinking from what I used to play....I remember one you could use for a good laugh called "Under the Skin"

10-21-2012   #12 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

I'd like to direct you all to a stickied thread in this forum that doesn't seem to get enough use:

/forum/game-discussi...ames-list.html

10-22-2012   #13 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to say that posting a link in a recommendations thread and saying done is probably one of the laziest and least productive post on a gaming forum ever. While I am all for self-reliance, guides such as those only go so far. It is the equivalent of either going through a Wikipedia list of games or a popular review's good reviews. The point of these kinds of threads are meant to be personal recommendations according to listed preferences and opinions from peers.
I can't believe I even have to say this in a gaming forum. It's like going to a library and asking for a book and they tell you to look on the internet.

10-22-2012   #14 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Quote:
I'd just like to say that posting a link in a recommendations thread and saying done is probably one of the laziest and least productive post on a gaming forum ever. While I am all for self-reliance, guides such as those only go so far. It is the equivalent of either going through a Wikipedia list of games or a popular review's good reviews. The point of these kinds of threads are meant to be personal recommendations according to listed preferences and opinions from peers.
I can't believe I even have to say this in a gaming forum. It's like going to a library and asking for a book and they tell you to look on the internet.
Just gonna say, the link I posted was to a recommendations sticky that was formed specifically to put an end to the influx of recommendations threads. It's full of personal recommendations based on listed preferences and opinions from peers. That's how the thread was formatted starting on day 1.

Swear to god, it's like going into a library and asking where the books are at.

10-22-2012   #15 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

There's no opinions in that thread, of what opinion there is, it's regarding whether or not to rip off /v/'s guide or format it by genre. Personal recommendations, I'll give you that much because I did not clarify. By personal, I meant personal and fit to the requester. Guides and lists are not fit to a single person, they are fit to a general. While it gets somewhere, it doesn't get there.
If you want to lower the amount of whatever activity this forum even has, by all means, more power to you. Nice to now that we have a helpful gaming community here that provides productive answers.