Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-22-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

KhaosConsumes will become famous soon enough
Default What do you guys want to see from a game similar to Lunia?

Hello!

Recently, a couple of friends and I have decided to go into the gaming industry. Next year we will be applying to drexel for a computer science degree.

Here's the thing, although we will not be taking on an mmo as our first project (most certainty too ambitious) we plan on going down this route in the later years. So no, we are not starting anything any time soon (~10 years). Now, obviously information about what people are seeking may become completely outdated; however, there will always be certain aspects that will appear in games years away from their time (think platformer).

So to cut to the chase, we decided on a 2.5D game (pre-3D update) essentially like Lunia.

Here's what we liked about Lunia:

1.) Fast paced combat.
2.) Lots of skills
3.) Arrow key movement (devoid of mouse controls).
4.) Air combos
5.) Art-Style
6.) Rebirth system
7.) Strength
8.) CS 'looks'
9.) Tons of characters

Here's what we hated about Lunia:

1.) Cash shop dependent (we would love to avoid this at all costs yet still provide an incentive to fund the developers)
2.) Repetitive gameplay (Myth 1-6 was very similar. We are fans of the boss's but the dungeon itself was broken.
3.) Luck, economy (I hated the luck system. I am a fan of retro games where you knew you would get something as long as you accomplished such a feat as completing a certain task.
4.) Lack of difficulty, cheap (Gameplay was not 'hard', it was cheap. You would often die because of 1 hit KOs or infinite spams.
5.) Lack of PVP (I love pvp, well I'm more of the gametype person (siege, etc.))
6.) End Game content (You farm myth to farm myth faster. win.)
7.) Character Imbalances (We liked the differences between characters, but did not like how new characters were providing more power and less gameplay change.
8.) Guild System (Certain things were good, but lack of guild related activities)
9.) Lack of events ('nuff said)
10.) Lack of necessary items being in game. (Majority of 'necessary' items were either too expensive or cash shop exclusive.)
11.) Lack of non-combat skills.
12.) Lack of triangle based market.
13.) Focus on stats, not skill level (as in if the player is good or bad).
14.) more...

There were more things we didn't like but I wont go into them. I will not release all the ideas we currently have in mind but I would like to ask the community what you people would be looking for in a potential recreation of Lunia.

Here's certain things I will say we are doing:
1.) Focus on story.

I am personally a creative writer. I wanted to develop a VN but the market here is relatively shoddy, so I'm in the process of turning it into a book. I have always enjoyed games that have an actually STORY that get you emotional or elicit strong feelings. Games like Portal, Limbo, Halo Reach (the cut-scenes are brilliant) have lovely stories. I am a huge anime fan when it comes to psychological pieces. Steins;Gate, Death Note, Code Geass, Mirai Nikki, etc. With all this in mind, every character will have their own story. Purchasing a new character (I apologize but this is one of the few ways we will get funded) will not only include new skills, but an entirely new story line to go along with him. We have thought of a way to implement it properly, however we are open to suggestions. I for one prefer less cutscenes but in a game like lunia its hard to display much cinematic qualities (like the ones in portal/2) without actually having cinematics. We will figure this out when we can assess our resources.

2.) Epic Music. Period.

I mean comeon, who didn't like Death Note's soundtrack, or Deadman Wonderland's? Hardcore metal instrumentals really get the blood flowing and properly composed piano pieces bring tears to your eyes. Music is a good thing.

3.) Challenges

Won't disclose much, but these will be like the Vidmaster challenges from halo. Fun and with purpose (earning something).

4.) Intricate Guild System

Won't disclose but we think guild's should have to work as guild's, and not only the best guild players, everyone.

5.) Replay Value.

I am a gamer that appreciates all games prior to the Xbox 360, PS3, etc. Those games had some interesting secrets that were enjoyable to figure out. Replay value (as in value to continue playing, not to start over) will be of utmost importance.

6.) Anime graphics.

Lunia's graphics were pretty good. Some area's were uninspired but over all I enjoyed myth's scenery. It was vibrant and exhilarating.

I know in 10 years you may no longer be gaming but if you have had any idea's now feel free to share them. We want the community to have a say in this creation. I respect companies like Uber Entertainment or Valve that listen and respect their customers. We'll do what we can to satisfy and and stay in touch.

Thanks for reading and showing interest. We appreciate it!

Look forward. Reach the end. You mustn't turn back.
- Kh[a]os

Last edited by KhaosConsumes; 07-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-22-2012   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

evilxshadow has a spectacular aura aboutevilxshadow has a spectacular aura about

there wasnt a lack of pvp until the rebirth system and balancing.
the game was fine when they had like 6 characters.

07-23-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Balancing is top priority on our mind. We want to avoid making classes have the same skills re skinned (which means 100% balancing) and allow classes to feel 100% different. We will test characters out and most certainty hold testing periods to let the community get a feel. New characters aren't a bad thing, as long as certain types are not given advantages. Every class will have to work the same difficulty when it comes to comboing (or so we hope). We have our ideals.

The rebirth system is what allowed the level 99 cap to work. It was also a useful system in allowing players to gain sp. However, depending on how the community felt about the rebirth system, we may revamp it into something else. We haven't decided on the leveling system just yet, all we know is that it will be similar to lunia where 99 was practically unreachable but still technically possible. The rebirth system also allows us to intricately incorporate more skills that involve total level.

For the sake of pvp however, we will be offering pvp builds as a side. You will be allowed to have 2 skill builds, one for pve and the other for pvp. PVP will be balanced, lacking certain OP skills.

PVP will not be difficult however. We will not let anything interfere with pvp. We understand that many players play solely for the pvp aspect and we wish to retain those players.

We plan on releasing multiple characters, but they will all follow suit to a base. For instance, assuming there were 10 characters, each group of 2 would contain similar base skills but branch off a different way. For example, a chaos mage and a elementalist will both contain a teleport skill, possibly similar buffs, and similar debuffs, but their attacks will be different. This will allow us to keep parties wanting a mage type class instead of wanting a specific character. The base skills will still be different but will contain enough similarities to make both chars worthy of that spot.

Also, I am a personal fan of unlocking stuff. If we release new content, expect a couple challenges before your able to jump into it. We also have a solution to the whole new armor, must throw out my old, cycle. This is will be severely reduced.

Also, I recognize ur ign. Recognize HxCIcy perchance?

Last edited by KhaosConsumes; 07-23-2012 at 02:14 AM.

07-23-2012   #4 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

Isn't Lunia 2D?
2.5D is something like Elsword, where it plays like a 2D game but has 3D gameplay aspects.

Though I haven't played Lunia in years.

07-23-2012   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzor
Isn't Lunia 2D?
2.5D is something like Elsword, where it plays like a 2D game but has 3D gameplay aspects.

Though I haven't played Lunia in years.
Maple is 2D, Dragon Nest is 3D. Lunia contains 3D models and areas but can only move in 2D directions (I.E Up, Down, Left and Right). This is why Lunia is 2.5D.

Last edited by KhaosConsumes; 07-23-2012 at 06:17 PM.

07-23-2012   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

evilxshadow has a spectacular aura aboutevilxshadow has a spectacular aura about

i havent played in years so i dont remember, i used to always be in the pvp server until rebirth came and destroyed the balancing becuz people would have more skills than others.

rebirth system destroyed the game becuz what if a new player decided to join the game. since he hasnt rebirthed, he is way too behind and wouldnt contribute in myth until he rebirthed a few times or got lucky on items.

i played during the open beta time where pvp actually took skill, but after the rebirth system, everyone turned it on and spammed and just ran around the map.

also before, 1k str took really good items to acquire, now everyone has 1.5k or 2k str without myth gear.

many of us lunia players moved to league of legends or diablo 3.

Last edited by evilxshadow; 07-23-2012 at 11:49 AM.

07-23-2012   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

back in the days, the lunians that played for years, we took the klunian style of pvp where certain skills are restricted, that was the only way to balance the pvp game.

but now all skills do tons of dmg, when i last logged on (which was a year ago), i was able to 1 combo kill a lvl 75 char (im lvl 90) in just 5 skills

07-23-2012   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilxshadow
back in the days, the lunians that played for years, we took the klunian style of pvp where certain skills are restricted, that was the only way to balance the pvp game.

but now all skills do tons of dmg, when i last logged on (which was a year ago), i was able to 1 combo kill a lvl 75 char (im lvl 90) in just 5 skills
Dragon Nest has a respectable pvp, simply because there is balancing that only affects pvp. Each skill has a pvp version.

Thanks for the input on the rebirth system, we'll try to look into something. The only fix that would keep the rebirth system would be allowing an internal game clock. For instance, after 8 months, the max rebirths you can get is 4. You don't have to wait 2 months to rb again, you can just go up till 4.

I do agree btw completely that the game has a big issue with new players. If this becomes an apparent issue with our rebirth, we will scrap the idea entirely.

07-23-2012   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

dragon nest's pvp was if u lag, u win.
the people that lagged were uncomboable becuz it just ends midway or they teleport out

07-23-2012   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilxshadow
dragon nest's pvp was if u lag, u win.
the people that lagged were uncomboable becuz it just ends midway or they teleport out
Lag has to do with improper optimization (such has poorly implemented garbage collection) but mostly has to do with servers. Nexon's servers are poor and we have no idea what we will be doing as far as hosting the game goes. In 10 years, we may be financially stable to host it ourselves. We'd prefer this as it would allow us to directly satisfy the community without a publisher inferring.

What do you guys want to see as far as end game content? This is the heart of any mmo as many hxc gamers will rush to the end and quickly become dissatisfied when there is nothing to do.

Also, we will be having achievements as a main portion. The incentive to complete achievements will actually affect your character in a couple ways. The achievements will actually be interesting and fun, not repeat this dungeon 400x times to win. One influence from this idea could be a simple task as complete all the achievements to gain a unique item. Think quest skill cape from rs. Obviously there will be much more than that but this is a simple idea.

I'm thinking of a new system, devoid of rebirth. Max level will be high. This would allow us to fix the gap between new players and old. The rebirth system really does break the game because of that gap.

Last edited by KhaosConsumes; 07-23-2012 at 06:30 PM.

07-31-2012   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts

I want to see a unique world, but with its own take on history. Basically, include your world's interpretation of Ancient Egyptian architecture, of Ancient Greece and Medieval times, etc.

Rebirth and the flinching enemies KILLED Lunia. I truly believe no other game will have a combat system as good as Lunias. There was no lack of PVP until the combat system was broken due to the various updates.

The game, especially the PVP, should reward combos and discourage spamming.

08-01-2012   #12 (permalink)
Orange
Games
4StoryACE OnlineAdventure Quest WorldsAge of Armor
Awards Retired Content StaffFacebook Fan

Faith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFaith is a glorious beacon of light

Forget Lunia, bring back Survival Project!

08-01-2012   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith
Forget Lunia, bring back Survival Project!
yea! bring another game similar to survival project! or bring it back!

08-02-2012   #14 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

endgame events with gm involvement. i enjoy raiding endgame bosses and dungeons, but only for so long. i really liked the gm events in granado espada (until they stopped doing them) and trickster online (until i stopped playing).

things like boss summons, quizzes, fight the gm, etc..

08-03-2012   #15 (permalink)
The Ordinary Witch uguuuu
Games
Cosmic BreakSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterMapleStoryMegaman Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Marisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Marisa
IGN: bippusuta
Class: Homing Spammer

No myth equips for sure in PvP.

A lot of people will mind if you have that equipped.