ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Game Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/)
-   -   Blacklight Retribution (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/114936-blacklight-retribution.html)

buta 07-16-2012 10:28 PM

Blacklight Retribution

http://omg.wthax.org/Blacklight_retribution_logo.jpg

Currently free on steam. The graphics are pretty nice for a free to play game. It's pretty flashy.

If I were to say one thing about what sets this apart from other shooters is the Hyper-Reality Visor or HRV for short. Basically, everyone has wallhax in this game. You press V and the world turns something like wireframe and enemy locations can be seen. It takes a little while getting used to, but it certainly adds some strategic differences to this game compared to other FPS games.

TotalBiscuit (whose video i have linked below) gives a pretty good overview of the microtransaction model they use so I'll skip that. Each game start, you get points towards "unlocks" for enemies your kill or objectives you clear (ie. return or capture the flag). Using these you can buy different weapons or even a huge mech to pilot around (if you're on the opposing side verse the mech, press V to use HRV and find flashing blue parts on robot. That's weak spot.).

Launch Trailer

TotalBiscuit's WTF IS THIS

Homepage: http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/
Steam: Blacklight: Retribution on Steam

Nihil679 07-23-2012 06:29 PM

Here's a video of me being horrible at the game!

buta 07-23-2012 11:21 PM

lolol, i'm a lot more paranoid. i don't wanna go around corners until i've used HRV. i'm also scared to move very far without using it. i kinda practice my memory since i basically use it for a fraction of a second-ish before turning it off. i like... turn it on, spin around quickly, turn it off, and swear cause i forgot. >_>;

Nihil679 07-23-2012 11:48 PM

I usually just check where they generally are and run around. Hardly ever check corners with it because usually when I do, someone else is rounding the corner and they kill me before I can turn off HRV, lol.

WhatThePho 07-24-2012 12:22 AM

Wouldn't you score more kills if you run around like an idiot cuz everyone is pausing to use the HRV :psyduck:

/never played

Nihil679 07-24-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePho (Post 1749848)
Wouldn't you score more kills if you run around like an idiot cuz everyone is pausing to use the HRV :psyduck:

/never played

The more seasoned players use HRV to see you coming from further away and sort set you up for them to kill you.

That and a lot of people like to use SMGs, which are so OP if they catch you running at them.

buta 07-24-2012 01:03 AM

There's lots of corners. Also, information is everything. Running around like a crazyman without using HRV can run you straight into some guy who knew you were coming. While there is some delay going in and out of HRV, as long as they aren't already sprinting around the corner, you're usually fine.

Nihil679 07-24-2012 01:19 AM

Also, you can probably see ALL the cases where my (mis)use of HRV screwed me over. Especially my first death! God, that was a heavy facepalm moment.

buta 07-24-2012 01:22 AM

And you can't really say hax. Cause... Everyone hax wallhax. :|

Nihil679 07-24-2012 07:41 PM

Was bored and finding it pretty fun to make videos again, so here's another.

buta 07-24-2012 08:52 PM

"You are now TEAM WARLORD."

I always wonder if some people make a habit of just going for the team warlords. Makes me even more paranoid whenever I get that. OTL

Nihil679 07-25-2012 10:38 AM

One more recording from last night since I'll be gone for most of today.

You can witness me being a complete idiot with a shotgun I picked up. LOL.

WhatThePho 07-25-2012 08:35 PM

Ingame UI is pretty clean but lobby/market screens are just complete mess. it's too flashy.

Nihil679 07-25-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePho (Post 1750661)
Ingame UI is pretty clean but lobby/market screens are just complete mess. it's too flashy.

I don't find it that bad, better than most FPS.

WhatThePho 07-25-2012 11:35 PM

Assault Rifle is versatile, SMG is damn fast.

But Combat Rifle... wtf is this shit.

Nihil679 07-26-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePho (Post 1750774)
Assault Rifle is versatile, SMG is damn fast.

But Combat Rifle... wtf is this shit.

Pseudo-sniper or semi-auto rifle. It's pretty strong, no idea how to properly use it though.

WhatThePho 07-26-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihil679 (Post 1750783)
Pseudo-sniper or semi-auto rifle. It's pretty strong, no idea how to properly use it though.

Me neither. I can't camp with this cuz the recoil is pretty heavy and it's not the most accurate thing in the world, and if I run into someone in the corridor with this I'd get gunned down by SMG right off the bat.

Nihil679 07-26-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePho (Post 1750881)
Me neither. I can't camp with this cuz the recoil is pretty heavy and it's not the most accurate thing in the world, and if I run into someone in the corridor with this I'd get gunned down by SMG right off the bat.

Guess it's a gun you want to heavy mod before actually using.

WhatThePho 07-26-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihil679 (Post 1750959)
Guess it's a gun you want to heavy mod before actually using.

Also, do I get to unlock more loadout slots as I level up or is it restricted to cash player only for the entire game?

Veloze 07-26-2012 02:26 PM

I got a second loadout when I hit level 5 so it's probably the former.