ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Game Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/)
-   -   ggFTW Recommended Games List (http://ggftw.com/forum/game-discussion/108490-ggftw-recommended-games-list.html)

RoflKnife 02-17-2012 10:40 PM

ggFTW Recommended Games List

A list of recommended games by the ggFTW community.

Starting this thread out, corrections, suggestions, and recommendations needed.

This is how it will work:
I will edit and update the main post with the recommendations and suggestions from the posts in this thread. Only one recommendation is needed to get it on the list. Here's the catch: I will also tag your name to the games you recommend. Additional recommendations will tag their names on the game as well. This serves a few purposes:

1) It can be an indicator of the quality of the game, as usually more recommendations = more better

2) Not everyone has the same tastes. If you don't like the games a user has recommended, you can put less
weight on their recommendations when deciding whether to play a game they have recommended or not. The
opposite applies, if you find a user that consistantly recommended games you liked, you can put more weight
on their recommendations of games you decide to try.

3) Attaching a name to a recommendation will force users to try and recommend genuinely good games. While
taste is one thing, there are games that are...let's face it, objectively bad. If someone recommends
bad games consistently, they'll put less merit on their recommendations, and make themselves out to be
that guy. Nobody wants to be that guy.

If you are posting a recommendation, and the game is not already on the list, please include the
information needed. Only recommend games that you have actually played! "Play" will vary for
each genre. For example, if it's an RPG, don't recommend it unless you've played almost all of it! If it's an online shooter,
don't recommend it unless you've acquired most of the guns, tried all the features, played 20~ hours
online! There is no real guideline (and it'd be hard to make one!) to whether you "played" a game or not, use your best judgement! Also,
if a game has almost identical ports and you've played one of them, you've played both.

This will be the format of the list:

Platform(s) and Genre(s) | Game Name | Computer Specs | Payment Model | Multiplayer? | English?
Recommenders

In-depth explanation
Spoiler!

Quote:

Examples:
[PC MMO]Mabinogi ~ Low, F2P w/CS,
Bob, Jack, Jill, Harry

[PS3/360/PC FPS]Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare ~ Low, 4P SO
Barry, James, Mary
Recommendation List
Use CTRL+F to find genres and users!
Spoiler!

Once you have found a game you want to try, do a quick google search and research it a bit! This list will
not cover all the nuances and such of each game!

Lime 02-18-2012 12:45 AM

I'm going to go ahead and try to only post obscure titles that i found genuinely good but weren't really well known.

[NDS SIM] Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times

[GBA RPG] Medabots: Medabee /Rokusho version

too sleepy to think of more.

Firzin 02-18-2012 01:22 AM

Genre for stealth? Should we label sequels seperately or can we do something like Mega Man Zero 1/2/3/4?

Spoiler!

RoflKnife 02-18-2012 03:03 AM

Sequels separately if they have different names, genres, or anything. If everything is identical except something like the number in the name that indicates what it's iteration in the series, NAME HERE 1/2/3/4 is ok.

Also your list showed me a silly flaw I overlooked; A game can be online play only, or can be offline and support online play. Changed the multiplayer part to add:

O = Online only
SO = Supports online play, but can be played offline

Stealth genre added.

I forgot about the mobile devices too. :psyduck:

Veloze 02-18-2012 05:23 AM

Genre for platformers?

Spoiler!

The games I can list off the top of my head.

WhatThePho 02-18-2012 10:10 AM

RK, split the list based on consoles. CTRL+F is only useful if we know what we are looking for; not so much for people looking for new games under a specific console.

RoflKnife 02-18-2012 06:24 PM

I was thinking of doing that too, but what do I do about the multi-plats? Just shove em in a less cluttered list anyway while organizing the rest?

Don't know how I forgot about platformer. :psyduck:

Joey 02-18-2012 07:13 PM

[PS1 RPG] Legend of Legaia

[GC TPS 4P] Gotcha Force

[GC/PS2/XBOX/PC RCE 4P] Need for Speed: Underground

[GC/PS2/XBOX/PC RCE 4P] Need for Speed: Underground 2

[WII ARC/TPS/SHMUP 2P] Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

[ARC FGT] Soul Calibur 2

[ARC MSC] Pump It Up! (series)

Belphybear 02-18-2012 07:14 PM

[GC ACT/TPS 4P] Gotcha Force

[GC FGT 4P] Super Smash Bros. Melee

[PSX ACT/RPG] Vagrant Story

[DS FGT 4P] Jump! Ultimate Stars

Btw, do we just edit our posts if we want to add some new entries? Or just post normally?

RoflKnife 02-18-2012 07:19 PM

Post normally, it'll be impossible for me to figure what is an update otherwise, and it'd be a pain to.

Also added some missing genres...

iFarted 02-19-2012 12:51 AM

I will finish my recommendations later.

I was sorta lazy and didn't list all the consoles for multiplatform games, so sorry in advance.

I might've messed up on some genres too, so sorry about that too.

Should you add a BEATEMUP genre? What genre does Katamari Damacy and Ace Combat fall into?

Spoiler!

Belphybear 02-19-2012 07:53 AM

This might help: A List and Guide to Game Genres - /v/'s Recommended Games Wiki

Btw, it might be best to divide the recommended games by platform and genre somehow.

buta 02-19-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belphybear (Post 1680938)
This might help: A List and Guide to Game Genres - /v/'s Recommended Games Wiki

Btw, it might be best to divide the recommended games by platform and genre somehow.

This is ggFTW's recommended list, not /v/'s. That doesn't help unless you sincerely recommend every single game on every single list.

And that has been suggested already.

Belphybear 02-19-2012 09:51 AM

That link is to suggest any missing genres, not the games.

I suggest you check the link out first before putting it down.

RoflKnife 02-19-2012 10:46 AM

Organizing by platform and then just shoving the multi-platforms into their own kinda-somewhat-not really organized section is the best I can think of. If anyone else has a better method, I'm all ears.

Beat em up I feel can go into action, but if enough people whine about it, I'll make it it's own genre. Defense added. Flight if enough people whine about it. Mini-game added. Rail shooter if enough people whine about it. Run and gun could be platformer, TPS, action, but again, whining. Roguelikes for RPG, unless whining.

WhatThePho 02-19-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoflKnife (Post 1680993)
Organizing by platform and then just shoving the multi-platforms into their own kinda-somewhat-not really organized section is the best I can think of. If anyone else has a better method, I'm all ears.

Beat em up I feel can go into action, but if enough people whine about it, I'll make it it's own genre. Defense added. Flight if enough people whine about it. Mini-game added. Rail shooter if enough people whine about it. Run and gun could be platformer, TPS, action, but again, whining. Roguelikes for RPG, unless whining.

I don't know how to best sort this on forum, but you can just link your first post with a spreadsheet of games. I made a sample pivot table for you using the first few games. The only problem is that when you have multiple genres under a single game, it becomes confusing and too messy to sort through the data. If anyone know how to better do this using VLOOKUP or array equations, go for it.

Dropbox - ggftw.xlsx - Simplify your life

Belphybear 02-19-2012 02:12 PM

We could have primary and secondary (and even tertiary) genre entries. But I guess there will be arguments on what should go first.

Joey 02-19-2012 04:44 PM

[GB RPG] Robopon

[GB RPG] Robopon 2

[N64 PLT/ACT/ADV] Banjo Kazooie

[PC RPG SO] Minecraft

[PC SIM] RollerCoaster Tycoon

[PC SIM] RollerCoaster Tycoon 2

[PC SIM] RollerCoaster Tycoon 3

Veloze 02-19-2012 04:55 PM

Spoiler!

james 02-19-2012 05:30 PM

Just a few. Though I feel as if I'm missing a bunch. :|