ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community


Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Game Discussion

Grand Fantasia
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

7.4

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-29-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default Soul Worker Online




I can't be the only one who thinks this looks a LOT like RH.


















I'll play as the Dual Pistol Kitty Girl.
 
Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-29-2012   #2 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Kenzor's Avatar
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: where
Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)
Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor
Default

Wow the art style really does look like RH's
 
01-29-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default

Well, Soul Worker stole it from Rusty Hearts, Rusty Hearts stole it from Persona, and Persona stole it from Ape Escape and Wild Arms.
 
01-30-2012   #4 (permalink)
Planeswalker
RoflKnife's Avatar
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,987
iTrader: (0)
RoflKnife has disabled reputation
Default

Are you talking about the cell-shaded art? Because you can't steal an accepted art style.

Spoiler!
__________________
 
01-30-2012   #5 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Nihil679's Avatar
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ? ? ?
Posts: 5,355
iTrader: (0)
Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru
Default

I think it looks nothing like Rusty Hearts.
Cel-shaded aside, as RoflKnife has covered, the post-apocalyptic theme of it is different from the more... "gothic" appeal of Rusty Hearts.

Besides, the artwork gives me eye-orgasms compared to Rusty Hearts. Can't even decide between dual pistols, chainsword, scythe, or giant unknown cannon pillar weapon.
__________________
 
01-30-2012   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil679
I think it looks nothing like Rusty Hearts.
Cel-shaded aside, as RoflKnife has covered, the post-apocalyptic theme of it is different from the more... "gothic" appeal of Rusty Hearts.

Besides, the artwork gives me eye-orgasms compared to Rusty Hearts. Can't even decide between dual pistols, chainsword, scythe, or giant unknown cannon pillar weapon.
This is definitely goth in many elements too. The fact that a scythe is involved is just one example. Granted, it has some seemingly 1920s American Gangster vibe going on in some parts, along with the contrasted futuristic dystopian vibe.

Whereas RH is more of a purebred Victorian/Transylvanian vampire novel with small sprinklings of Steampunk garnish here and there.

They're very alike.
 
01-30-2012   #7 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Nihil679's Avatar
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ? ? ?
Posts: 5,355
iTrader: (0)
Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever
This is definitely goth in many elements too. The fact that a scythe is involved is just one example. Granted, it has some seemingly 1920s American Gangster vibe going on in some parts, along with the contrasted futuristic dystopian vibe.

Whereas RH is more of a purebred Victorian/Transylvanian vampire novel with small sprinklings of Steampunk garnish here and there.

They're very alike.
What I understood from what you said was...

Scythes are Gothic. Despite it being in a futuristic post-apocalyptic setting, this game is similar to Rusty Hearts because scythes are Gothic.

I... don't know how to reply to that. It's the equivalent of me saying swords are medieval, therefore Phantasy Star Online 2 is medieval.
__________________
 
01-30-2012   #8 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Kenzor's Avatar
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: where
Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)
Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor
Default

both RH and this are somewhat goth-metro themed, though RH is more on the goth-victorian side.
 
01-30-2012   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil679
What I understood from what you said was...

Scythes are Gothic. Despite it being in a futuristic post-apocalyptic setting, this game is similar to Rusty Hearts because scythes are Gothic.

I... don't know how to reply to that. It's the equivalent of me saying swords are medieval, therefore Phantasy Star Online 2 is medieval.
You didn't, unfortunately.
 
01-30-2012   #10 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Nihil679's Avatar
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ? ? ?
Posts: 5,355
iTrader: (0)
Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever
You didn't, unfortunately.
What an amazing argument. I definitely cannot say more to this uncounterable counterargument. You provide such thorough evidence and support for your side of the argument, there is no possible way anyone could ever reason otherwise. Truly, this is the epitome and embodiment of all that arguers strive to achieve.

Never mind the fact that you essentially described the differences of the two, Soul Worker and Rusty Hearts, and creating a similarity out of a difference.

Let's place some argument standards here, just so we don't start shooting off into space with our reasoning.
For one, gameplay should be set aside. Reason for this is, while Rusty Hearts is out, Soul Worker is not. We can make all the assumption of how Soul Worker plays based on how it seems like Rusty Hearts in playstyle, but ultimately, we don't know how Soul Worker really plays, we don't know if it's like Rusty Hearts.
Second, from what I understand, we're talking about the artstyle. This can go from the game's in-game models to the game's official artwork and even the theme. I honestly don't know, but I am assuming we're talking about the theme, essentially the feel of "Gothic."
On that note, I use "Gothic" as in that OLD Gothic. The one with the cathedrals and Medieval-ness to it. NOT the "Gothic" sense of punk or some other such.

You say that the scythe being involved is one reason that Soul Worker is Gothic.
I disagree with that because it is a logic flaw. And here is why. I could say that Phantasy Star Online 2 is similar to World of Warcraft because both have swords. The flaw here is that one they are obviously not the same thing and two, Phantasy Star has swords made of photons and World of Warcraft has swords made of metals and whatever various others they make it out of.
To go further, it's about the same sense as saying .hack//G.U. is similar to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core. G.U.'s Skeith's scythe and GGXXAC's Testament's scythe are the focus. Both same weapons, but both different in style (one is data, the other is... something), both obviously different games in artstyle.

I fail to see how any aspect of Soul Worker points towards the Gothic, the Medieval one, at all. I can only see a futuristic post-apocalyptic setting, characterized by the ruins of cities, decrepit sometimes burning buildings, mutant humanoids or creatures of pre-apocalypse times, and neon-glowing weapons.
From my understand of Gothic, Rusty Hearts shows it best, the dark black and red colors, the pointy, angular buildings, a lot of Medieval feel. Almost everything about Rusty Hearts makes me think "This is pretty Gothic."
__________________
 
01-31-2012   #11 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Mitchi's Avatar
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Posts: 3,244
Blog Entries: 39
iTrader: (0)
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
Are you talking about the cell-shaded art? Because you can't steal an accepted art style.

Spoiler!
Then It was popularized (saved from the grave pretty much) by Windwaker.
__________________
Baa baa black sheep have you any booze? No sir, no sir, I'm a....sheep~
 
03-15-2013   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default



Quote:
Lion Games just made a contract with Havok Korea so that they can use their Vision Engine for Soul Work Online. Havok is well known for supporting very popular titles such as Starcraft 2, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, and etc with their Havok Physics implemented in those titles specific engine. With the new engine, Lion Games will be able to achieve their goals for having a sexy stylish anime game. Vision Engine also uses a multi platform system between the PC and Mobile version of games. Lion Games wants to create some kind of multi platform game out of Soul Worker so hopefully with the Vision Engine from Havok, it might just be possible. Find out more information on when the game is scheduled for release right after the cut. *updated*
ccording to the official LION GAMES website, they are planning on a Open Beta Test during the 2nd Quarter of 2014. It seems like they had a big hiccup and delayed the game. At least they are planning on a Alpha and Closed Beta Test sometime this year though they still haven't officially announced on which country the first test will be at. At the moment we are looking at Taiwan, Japan, or South Korea. Time for us to hold on to our pants a little bit longer, because the Soul Worker wait just got extended a year and probably much longer for a NA or Global release.
 
03-15-2013   #13 (permalink)
Feeling nostalgic, huh?
Gaap's Avatar
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaAuditionzOMG!
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanPervert Award
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 5,146
Blog Entries: 91
iTrader: (62)
Gaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Gaap
IGN: Makina
Class: Multi-Character to_boxer
Level: Pro D
Guild: Magika
Default

Headphones, cute charms, possible trendy cute clothes.. And then a mix of big-bladed weaponry or firearms and monsters that make me think of Shadows and Slenderman.

As for character/weapon choice... IDK what to pick.. I like the blonde girl, but the recent picture Griever posted gave me the yummies~
__________________
 
03-17-2013   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,453
iTrader: (0)
Shadow5YA has disabled reputation
IGN: ColdShadow
Class: Yuki lu_yuki
Default

I'm not impressed. The graphics and style do look nice, but the fighting looks too slow-paced for me.

I'm hoping it's just because that's a low level stage and Chainblade and Hammerstol are just slow characters.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 03-17-2013 at 10:53 AM.
 
03-17-2013   #15 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alexandria
Posts: 7,408
Blog Entries: 54
iTrader: (2)
james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I can kind of see how it's like Rusty Hearts, but then also at the same time it's not much like Rusty Hearts at all. Seems really interesting and I'm not really excited for it to get here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA
I'm hoping it's just because that's a low level stage and Chainblade and Hammerstol are just slow characters.
I would assume so. I don't imagine an individual carrying essentially a mechanized column (unless they're a giant) is going to be able to effectively swing it around. I would assume the Katana and Pistol characters would have faster weapons.
__________________
smorgasboreds
 
03-18-2013   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Griever's Avatar
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,791
Blog Entries: 2
iTrader: (0)
Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA
I'm not impressed. The graphics and style do look nice, but the fighting looks too slow-paced for me.

I'm hoping it's just because that's a low level stage and Chainblade and Hammerstol are just slow characters.
I don't think it's either of these actually.

I think the issue is what was outlined in the most recent update - they didn't have the right physics engine to work with. Now that they do, I imagine the combat is going to have a near complete overhaul towards what the designers REALLY wanted the game to look and play like.
 
04-02-2014   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Beller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Soul Worker is an action free mmorpg that provides cinematic gameplay in a post-apocalyptic world. It is mainly targeted at casual young gamers, especially those that have a special liking to cel-shaded graphics, anime chicks, fantastic big weapons and dazzling action with great visual effects. Currently in the 1st closed beta phase, it is slated to launch commercially in 2012.
 
07-09-2015   #18 (permalink)
Lord of the Ceilings!
Special
BoredomKillz's Avatar
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseLegend of Edda
Awards Staff AwardEvent WinnerMoM AwardDetail Detective
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In your ceiling~
Posts: 6,819
iTrader: (1)
BoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: RandomPerson
Class: Saint lt_guardian
Level: 195
Guild: FrenchBread
Default

Soul Worker Online Upcoming Japanese Beta | Steparu.com

first it was english blade and soul and now soul worker. now all thats left after years of waiting is NA PSO2 lol
__________________
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Roblox
Need a new browser game?

Try 

Roblox

Rating:  

4.0
Hide this banner by registering for our community.