MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Game Discussion

Zero Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Zero Online

Rating:  

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
11-18-2011   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri
Default Nintendo Stands Tall Against DLC

Quote:
Nintendo may be behind on the whole “DLC” concept but for a good reason. Reggie Fils-Aime has just stated why their games don’t provide DLC in their interview with AOL Games Blog.

“When we sell a game, we want the consumer to feel that they’ve had a complete experience. We’re unwilling to sell a piece of a game upfront and, if you will, force a consumer to buy more later. That’s what [Nintendo representatives] don’t want to do, and I completely agree. I think the consumer wants to get, for their money, a complete experience, and then we have opportunities to provide more on top of that.”

Whether you’re a fan of paying for additional content for your games or not is entirely your opinion. However, Nintendo’s philosophy is the same philosophy I’ve come to believe this generation. With games carrying a pretty hefty price tag to only then be told that you’re not getting a full experience is a little messed up. Most companies nowadays expect the player to shell out another 10-50 dollars on more content and it is getting a bit carried away. It’s understandable to have a little bit of DLC for certain games, depending on the scenario. However, there are numerous companies that love to store all the content on disc but demand you pay extra for an “unlock” key. Nintendo seems to be one of the very few that understands the consumer in this field.
Source

Quote:
We’re unwilling to sell a piece of a game upfront and, if you will, force a consumer to buy more later.
This... this is beautiful. I mean, you're not really forced to buy DLC in the first place, but I've always frowned upon games being shipped with content stripped and packaged as DLC later, or hell, on release day. Especially when new games are typically like $60, and then you have DLC for like.. extra maps, additional characters, etc, for $5-10 usually. Some of these things should have been in the game in the first place, but nope, gotta shell out even more.

Then again, as pleasing as their DLC stance is, they still lock your game purchases to the console you bought them on, rather than locking them to an account, which is bloody annoying and an awful idea. Can't win 'em all Nintendo, but it's nice that you would rather not go down the DLC road others have chosen to embrace.

Also, the games blog link is pretty interesting, too.

モノノ怪

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-18-2011   #2 (permalink)
DJ
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

And that's another reason why I love nintendo more than sony and microsoft

11-18-2011   #3 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

+100 respect points NintenBRO. That feel when they understand games are expensive.

11-18-2011   #4 (permalink)
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

Nintendo has always been pretty brotier, even though I didn't like the wii as much as the gamecube.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

11-18-2011   #5 (permalink)
Impenetrable Vanguard
Games
La TaleElsword
Awards Twitter Fan

Zuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to beholdZuro is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Zuro
IGN: Zuro
Class: Blader lt_blader
Level: 19x
Guild: Baguette

Ah Nintendo, why you so good to us.

LaTale - Zuro - 19x Strider: Kunaisen - 1xx Ruin Walker: Zeruna - 1xx Dragoon

11-18-2011   #6 (permalink)
Belay that order!
Games
ElswordGrand ChaseTrickster OnlineMabinogi
Awards Event WinnerLucky StreakPervert Award

Veloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant future

Nintendo, you were always awesome in my eyes.

11-18-2011   #7 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

5 star for that, folks.

| Adventus |

11-18-2011   #8 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Allure
Class: Holy Paladin
Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Nintendo has always been pretty brotier, even though I didn't like the wii as much as the gamecube.
Agreed, but it's alright since Wii has backwards compatibility.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, I'm not surprised they took this stance. +1 Nintendo.

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307, Crusader Main
World of Warcraft US Allure, Holy Paladin <Taurential Reign>
FFXIV Evalyn Fior, Excalibur NA
Nintendo 3DS 4511 - 0825 - 1589 // Wii U tmikucki

11-19-2011   #9 (permalink)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

Well done, Nintendo. That said, I still don't mind an expansion pack or two every once in a while with the new content packaged together in lieu of like 50 micro-transactions for ****ing weapons, characters or quests. You know, like the good old days. It really clutters up my banking statements and makes me feel ridiculous for buying all these little nuances to get more from my games.

11-19-2011   #10 (permalink)
ヨンム・カークス
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAion

Kirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond reputeKirks has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Gladiyeytor

I've always been a Nintendo fan ever since Pokemon Gold and GS1 rocked my childhood days *o*

11-19-2011   #11 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind some DLC, like the kind of DLC in 012 which are largely just different skins, but I think when it kind of becomes like a f2p MMO when the DLC adds too much to the game then it is a problem.

11-19-2011   #12 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

I only mind DLC if it is DLC that is locked on the disc. If it is well-thought out and entertaining DLC, I won't mind buying it if I like the game (this is assuming the DLC is reasonably priced). Quality DLC does indeed allow the life of the game to last longer, and gives the game more appeal.

DLC is pretty much the future of how gaming is going to work, and Nintendo will go down this route eventually (not soon, but they will eventually).

Last edited by Jon; 11-19-2011 at 04:42 PM.

11-20-2011   #13 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Golden Sun 2 followed many of the traits of DLC. Nintendo isn't so innocent.

11-20-2011   #14 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake
Nintendo isn't so innocent.
This just shows you misinterpreted what was said. Nintendo means THEIR games will not have DLC. Their franchises, Mario, Zelda, etc. They were not talking about third-party games.

モノノ怪

Last edited by Kusuriuri; 11-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.

11-20-2011   #15 (permalink)
is a pretty cool guy.

Coffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Coffee
IGN: Nashi

Nintendo is a typical old fashioned Japanese company that doesn't believe in the internet, period

Nintendo and Sony had the technology and the funds but Microsoft beat them to it with Xbox Live.

Never owned a Xbox in my life, but this seems to be the truth.

11-20-2011   #16 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee
Nintendo is a typical old fashioned Japanese company that doesn't believe in the internet, period

Nintendo and Sony had the technology and the funds but Microsoft beat them to it with Xbox Live.

Never owned a Xbox in my life, but this seems to be the truth.
To further back up this point. Sony, Nintendo, And EA Backing Internet Censorship | Complex

I like their views on DLC, but the above just negates the respect they earned.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

11-20-2011   #17 (permalink)
Socially Awkward Penguin
Games
Cosmic BreakNostaleLa TaleGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

cornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Corneal35/CORNmecha
Class: Ruinwalker\Engistar lt_treasurehunter
Level: 19X/16X
Guild: StarOcean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Agreed I miss that purple lunch box

11-20-2011   #18 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

I'm already aware of their stand on SOPA, which is why people have been contacting them urging them to change their minds, since Nintendo is usually known for listening to their fans. Time will tell though.

A lot of companies are more interested in protecting their own IP, understandably so. But the bill will cause much more damage than they seem to realize, though I've no doubts some just blatantly don't care so long as their interests are served.

モノノ怪

11-20-2011   #19 (permalink)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryxios
This just shows you misinterpreted what was said. Nintendo means THEIR games will not have DLC. Their franchises, Mario, Zelda, etc. They were not talking about third-party games.
There was an interview with a particular somebody at id Software (John Romero?) about why they chose to handle their own publishing for Doom. People may associate familiar corporations with a video game so long as it appears on the box, just because they are more memorable/notable to them. For instance: Deux Ex: Human Revolution was developed by Eidos Montreal, published by Square Enix. Yet, there are people who will believe that it was developed partially/entirely by Square Enix.

Also, isn't this thread about DLC and not SOPA? :l

11-22-2011   #20 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adun
Also, isn't this thread about DLC and not SOPA? :l
It is. I suppose since everyone was all "Aw yeah they're so brotastic!" someone felt the need to interject and go "No, they're not all that great."

I'm sure most of us knows that Nintendo isn't without faults (And really, they're not). However this is not the thread for that. In a time when DLC is getting more and more ridiculous, it's simply a little refreshing for someone as big as Nintendo to have a different stance about what is becoming a new norm.

/throws hands up

モノノ怪