ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Food (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/)
-   -   Shark Fin Soup (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/77621-shark-fin-soup.html)

CrunchyRoll 06-15-2010 06:48 PM

Shark Fin Soup

Is really tasty ^_^

oXdacyXo 06-15-2010 07:40 PM

But it has mercury inside e.e...

Mums 06-16-2010 01:25 AM

I think it's tasty too, but I've stopped eating it cause of the poor sharks >:

Just being dragged up on a boat to have their fins cut off.

Strikegundam 06-16-2010 01:56 AM

Shark fin is basically tasteless if you just eat it alone. Just that the other ingredients make it tasty..
anyway, people should avoid eating due to the high mercury..
Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
If consumed in extremely large quantities, shark fin soup may cause sterility in men due to mercury content

Bolter 06-16-2010 03:41 AM

normally we would only be able to eat it once in a blue moon, so when you get the chance, just go for it. No, you don't have to pity the sharks, after all they are dangerous and attempts to eat us too.

Strikegundam 06-16-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolter (Post 1266660)
normally we would only be able to eat it once in a blue moon, so when you get the chance, just go for it. No, you don't have to pity the sharks, after all they are dangerous and attempts to eat us too.

Actually, they are not really that dangerous..
People get killed by vending machine more often compare to getting killed by a shark. Normally, shark just takes a bite to see if it is food or not. If it is not they let go...
Most of the sharks (99%) don't target human as a prey. I think people just watch too much JAWS and don't accept the fact..

Milkshakes 06-16-2010 04:39 AM

Note, excessive amounts, I think almost all fish do that, even tuna has mercury. o.e

crazyhealer 06-16-2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolter (Post 1266660)

This is one hell of a ignorant comment. Do they go around hunting for humans? No they don't. Humans find them dangerous cause sharks does kill human, accident or not. They do attempt to eat us. And so do we.

And if you look in the shark's point of view, aren't we the more dangerous ones? Humans travel out to sea to hunt for sharks only. We cut their fins off and throw them back to the sea. More sharks are getting killed then humans. So who is the more dangerous one?

PS: just can't stand people misunderstanding sharks.

Mums 06-16-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strikegundam (Post 1266673)
People get killed by vending machine more often compare to getting killed by a shark. Normally, shark just takes a bite to see if it is food or not. If it is not they let go...
Most of the sharks (99%) don't target human as a prey. I think people just watch too much JAWS and don't accept the fact..

Yea, I agree. When I was at an aquarium in Cape Town they played short movies to show how ridiculous it was to say that sharks are man eaters etc. They showed that more people die each year from toasters or falling off chairs than from shark attacks.

Torikakae 06-16-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strikegundam (Post 1266673)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhealer (Post 1266684)
This is one hell of a ignorant comment. Do they go around hunting for humans? No they don't. Humans find them dangerous cause sharks does kill human, accident or not. They do attempt to eat us. And so do we.

And if you look in the shark's point of view, aren't we the more dangerous ones? Humans travel out to sea to hunt for sharks only. We cut their fins off and throw them back to the sea. More sharks are getting killed then humans. So who is the more dangerous one?

PS: just can't stand people misunderstanding sharks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mums (Post 1266693)
Yea, I agree. When I was at an aquarium in Cape Town they played short movies to show how ridiculous it was to say that sharks are man eaters etc. They showed that more people die each year from toasters or falling off chairs than from shark attacks.

Agreed with the quoted statements. In fact, more people die of bee attacks than shark attacks, and shark attacks happen very rarely, and most of them in few specific isolated areas. Sharks only attack humans because the way they move in shallow waters (and the way they look from below especially if they have a surfboard) resembles sea otters and other natural prey. Most of the time, sharks don't eat the humans. Once they figure out that it's not their natural prey, they let go and leave. That's why you hear mostly (if not only) about "shark attack survivors", and hardly about "shark attack prey".

And like what crazyhealer said, humans kill a hell of a lot more sharks than sharks do to humans. And think about it, killing an entire being only for their fins, which is practically bland and tasteless but necessary for the being to breathe, just for the luxury and not necessity, is a pinnacle of vanity.

Strikegundam 06-16-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane (Post 1266749)
Interesting topic. o_o As someone who used to eat shark's fin soup, I can say I'll never eat it again. I don't really agree with the way they obtain the fins, leaving the sharks to just die like that in the sea without their fins. Not exactly the most humane way of killing them.

i don't get why people just cut the shark fin and leave them to die by throwing the shark back in the sea..
Can't we just eat shark's meat as well?

Noctis 06-16-2010 10:59 AM

Here's a picture of all the sharks that die.
http://naturescrusaders.files.wordpr...inningmany.jpg

Here's all that we take from each shark
http://www.sustainablewaters.com/wp-...ark%20fins.jpg

Here's the rest of the shark
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...utilat-004.jpg

I believe shark meat is supposed to taste terrible. That's why the only part that's eaten is the tasteless part.

If you're bleeding, sharks may come to you. It's a combination of the bleeding and the way people swim which sounds like an injured fish or something. And sharks are lazy. If they're hungry, they'd rather go for the easy meal if it IS food. So they come along and give you a taste at least. Of course, it doesn't happen that often. If it did, no one would go to the beaches.

One thing about humans killing animals as opposed to animals killing humans is that animals do not kill for sport or fun. If they kill you, it was because they were protecting their territory, scared and protecting itself, or it was hungry. It doesn't kill just for the hell of it. And they don't go overboard with it either. Yellowstone National Park used to have wolves that were native to it. People were scared of the wolves so they hunted the native wolf population to extinction. There are wolves there now because they noticed that there was a negative ecological impact as a result of their actions so they brought in Canadian wolves.

Silver Rook 06-16-2010 11:44 AM

What's amusing is that the original shark fin soup that you're consuming is probably a lie.

The real thing doesn't taste any much better than the mock one anyway.