ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Food (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/)
-   -   Soda addiction (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/73876-soda-addiction.html)

WarGreymon 04-04-2010 03:07 PM

Soda addiction

I have a terrible soda addiction, like today I think I gouched down like 5-6 cans of Dr. Pepper in like the span of 3-4 hours. I know it's not healthy but it's like the only thing we have to drink in the house and my mom keeps buying the stuff. Anyway to control my habit of drinking it? Because i'm pretty sure I'd like lose 10 lbs. if I stopped drinking soda.

Aimee 04-04-2010 03:09 PM

Think before you take more. There's always the water option, and you can ask your mom to buy something other than soda too.

kuyaBaka 04-04-2010 03:20 PM

Honestly, just go for a cold bottle of water or something instead. It's just as refreshing. Or if it's the sweetness that's making you go back, go for juice.

Or be crafty if you like the fizzy-ness of the soda. Get carbonated water and mix it with juice or something.

Pico 04-04-2010 03:23 PM

Tell your mom to buy water bottles. Only reason why you drink it is because it is readily available. I find myself drinking water a lot more because I quit buying soda all together.

Light 04-04-2010 06:16 PM

Think before you pick up a can, by thinking of the health risks you face when consuming lots of Soft Drinks.

That alone would prevent me from touching it as frequently.

Quote:

Many soft drinks contain ingredients that are themselves sources of concern: caffeine is linked to anxiety and sleep disruption, when consumed in excess, and the health effects of high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners remain controversial. Sodium benzoate has been investigated as a possible cause of DNA damage and hyperactivity. Other substances have negative health effects, but are present in such small quantities that they are unlikely to pose any substantial health risk. Benzene belongs to this category: the amount of benzene in soft drinks is small enough that it is unlikely to pose a health risk.
Soft drink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maiyu 04-04-2010 06:23 PM

soda is reaaaaaaaaaally bad stuff.

extreeeemely high in sugar content, and leads to a looot of problems like diabetes. i stopped drinking soda last year, and whenever i try to drink it, i cant. mt body stopped "accepting" it, and i feel weird if i do drink it. i think people have just conditioned themselves so much that they cant tell their own body doesnt want all the ingredients contained in soda.

k0n 04-04-2010 06:29 PM

I switched to drinking water or Sprite (which is kind of bad still, but at least there's no caffeine). I used to be like this, but with Pepsi instead. Just one day, I stopped. The worst effects you'll get from withdrawal is that you'll feel more sleepy then usual. The way I counter this effect is buy exercising. Exercise can also regulate your need for water since it'll drive you to drinking more water than dehydrated sodas.

WarGreymon 04-04-2010 07:32 PM

Ewwww water. but it has no taste to it >: and juice is like out of the question. Looks like water hear I come. Told my mother not to buy anymore sodas only for like special occasions and I guess I'll get water when i go out, saves $$$.

OOOOOO I love reading wiki articles. Crap, I feel like a fat ass now.

Light 04-04-2010 08:47 PM

Weight should be the least of your worries.
I know a guy in the family who drinks Coca Cola regularly, and he has very thin/translucent teeth and some of his teeth have chipped off or came out altogether + very bad gum health.

Let's just say it's not beautiful.
---

He also has many stomach problems, considering all the acid I wouldn't be surprised if he burned off many layers of his stomach wall and that may have contributed to his stomach ulcers.

Javier 04-04-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigade (Post 1203413)
and juice is like out of the question.

But why? Fruit juices are definitely the healthier alternative, especially if you go for the ones with no added preservatives or sugar.

Or you could just make yourself a jug of fresh lemonade... works wonders :py53:

mamoru 04-04-2010 08:53 PM

Make lemonade/orange juice. I don't drink soda that often because I like making my own drinks. :>

Redz 04-04-2010 09:44 PM

^what they said but if you can't completely cut your craving on soda try diet it's not 'as bad'. Soda will pack on the pounds if you drink to many to fast, a soda every once in awhile is alright but I try never to drink it.

LolJaen 04-04-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiyu (Post 1203364)
soda is reaaaaaaaaaally bad stuff.

extreeeemely high in sugar content, and leads to a looot of problems like diabetes. i stopped drinking soda last year, and whenever i try to drink it, i cant. mt body stopped "accepting" it, and i feel weird if i do drink it. i think people have just conditioned themselves so much that they cant tell their own body doesnt want all the ingredients contained in soda.

It's the same with me, I quit drinking soda about 1 1/2 years ago and traded it for Water and the occasional Ginger Ale. Every time i try to drink a soda ( which is not often ) my body refuses it, It taste's bad and i get nauseous. The only liquid intake my body accepts is water now. Getting off the soda is very health beneficial and you can easily lose a few pounds.

Maiyu 04-04-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaezu (Post 1203551)

It's the same with me, I quit drinking soda about 1 1/2 years ago and traded it for Water and the occasional Ginger Ale. Every time i try to drink a soda ( which is not often ) my body refuses it, It taste's bad and i get nauseous. The only liquid intake my body accepts is water now. Getting off the soda is very health beneficial and you can easily lose a few pounds.

Yaya!
Best friend <3 ~~

And I drink tea / water / juice only :)

I don't know what's wrong with juice O.O;
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEE juice!!!

Much sweeter than soda, healthier, AND you taste fruits!

SOC 04-05-2010 07:05 AM

Just be prepared for lots of aches, headaches, irritability ect. when you stop drinking Dr. Pepper. Your body is gonna' hate you for a few days, but as k0n suggested, exercising will really help that out. I know it seems like water sucks but after a few days, you will absolutely love it. XD

Aimee 04-05-2010 07:13 AM

Water is the best solution if you're worried about your addiction.
It hydrates the body, is good for the skin and will make you feel a whole lot better in the long run.

Mums 04-05-2010 10:22 AM

My parents never buys soda, so I rarely drink it. When I'm with out with friends I use to buy soda but that doesn't really affect me. I've stopped to buy soda for my breakfast in school too and I've noticed that it really affects my weight. We have a ''Soda Stream'' at home so that we can carbonize the tap water and it's so much better for the economy AND the environment than buying water on bottle. If I want something sodalike I just add some squash.

Shiki 04-05-2010 10:34 AM

Put a bottle of water beside you- When you need a drink, you'll grab the bottle instinctively. Or at least,that's what I did,and it became a habit for me to have a bottle of plain water beside my computer.

Snow 05-20-2010 02:25 PM

^ I agree & think that soda leaches your bones. <--- x_x that's why I only drink 1-3 can of sodas a year.

Ascherit 05-22-2010 02:42 PM

Flavored sparkling water.

FERREALZ