Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-11-2008   #1 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE
Default Trans Fats and why they are horrible

The trans fats stuff in question is the stuff that's made from perfectly decent vegetable and plant oils. Back when everyone was getting worried about saturated animal fats but didn't want to give up the flavor and texture of said fats, so (trans fat) partially-hydrogenated vegetable oils were introduced as a substitue.

As it turns out, this stuff is way worse for you than regular saturated fat. Trans fats have been named as the cause for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. Your body can metabolize regular saturated fat, but your body doesn't even know where to begin when it comes to dealing with the trans fatty kind.

TL,DR it's bad stuff that you need to avoid. If the ingredients list anything "partially hydrogenated", it has trans fats regardless if the nutritional label claims "0%". This is thanks to our wonderful American government that allows food manufacturers to state 0% if it's anywhere under .5%.

On a side note, some foods contain fully hydrogenated vegetable oils. These are fine.

Anyway, here's a list of foods I've ran across that contain obscene amounts of it:

* Margarine, especially the stick variety. Just eat real butter, and it tastes better.

* Fast foods: Go to any fast food chain's website and read the nutritional charts. It's been recommended that you don't consume over 2mg of trans fat a day (you shouldn't consume any at all, really). The servings of some items have up to 11-13mg of trans fats.

* Microwave popcorn: Some brands are absolutely horrible about this, and a single bag can have up to 10mg of TF. Only buy brands that don't contain anything "partially hydrogenated".

* Peanut butter: A few brands still contain trans fats.

* Desserts and pastries: Many brands contain obscene amounts of TF.

* Instant foods: A lot of add-water-and-microwave products contain TF.

* Imitation cheese slices: these are just disgusting. Just use eat real cheese!

* Frozen foods and dinners: pre-cooked "TV Dinners", boxed chicken, fries, pizza, etc are still loaded with TF.

* Vegetable shortening: Pure TF. Just use regular vegetable oil or lard.

So far on my grocery expeditions, for every food product that contains TF I've found a different brand of the same thing that doesn't.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-11-2008   #2 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very true. Trans fat cannot be burned off. So yes, that's right, that 9001 grams of Trans fat from last night's Big Mac, yea, it'll grow old with you. 8D

Oh, and if you still don't get how bad it is for you, think of cholesterol. What is cholesterol measured in. Milligrams. And guess what Trans fat is measured in, grams. (This is just what my sister said, I still kind of don't get it. .-.')

08-11-2008   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on this feeling

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

Wow thats rather ironic.

08-11-2008   #4 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

Butter still contains natural trans fats, and it's rather high in saturated fat as well. If you want a shade slightly better, switch to Becel or cooking sprays. Pastries and cookies are still loaded with trans fats, because many cookie creams use partial hydrogenation to enhance shelf life and keep it from going rancid. But the mother of all heart attacks? Fast food french fries. A super size portion of fries from any fast food joint in downtown New York contains a whopping 18 grams or more of trans fat. They form in oil when it's constantly heated and re-heated, and that happens a lot when the managers are cheap and don't change the oil as often as they should.

08-11-2008   #5 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy's has 0 Grams of Trans Fat in their fries. (Or probably about .5, but still).

Trans fat is not a naturally occurring fat. Well, it does naturally occur in some processed meats (Sausage, Hot Dogs), but that's it.
And it's also quite easy to find cookies without the stuff. Oreos, last time I checked didn't have any. Also with a nice handful of the natural oils that are good for you, Mono and Polyunsaturated fat.

08-11-2008   #6 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

..... No wonder my 6 pac just got harder and not showy Q___Q

I <3 KUDA

08-11-2008   #7 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmer2k1d5
..... No wonder my 6 pac just got harder and not showy Q___Q
Stop eating McDonalds then!

Anyhow, I try valiantly not to eat any Trans fat. And most of the food in my house is like no partially hydrogenated, so that's good. 8D

08-11-2008   #8 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

I eat BK chicken sandwiches 8D

I <3 KUDA

08-11-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

What is wrong with this world? I sidestep one proverbial poison and yet I always have to be on the lookout for another. >.<

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-11-2008   #10 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momijii
And it's also quite easy to find cookies without the stuff. Oreos, last time I checked didn't have any.
There's a loophole some companies use to fool you. If a serving size contains 0.5g of trans fat, they can round it down to zero. That's often why you see the serving size for cookies as three or less. Crisco's new formulation still has trans fat, but they alter the suggested serving size as well so it's effectively zero when it's actually not.

08-11-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about

Somebody tell me the college student's miracle food isn't one of those .5 examples...

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-11-2008   #12 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute

Most instant ramen makers stopped using partially hydrogenated oils a while back. Also, I remember reading how Oreos no longer contain TF either, after they got sued over it.

I also think oreos are the most disgusting cookie ever made but that's a different subject

08-11-2008   #13 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

When you live like a dormer, you worry more about actually finding something to eat rather than what's in it lol...

When I get my eating habits in order, I'll be sure to be mindful of this fat business.

08-11-2008   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
When you live like a dormer, you worry more about actually finding something to eat rather than what's in it lol...

When I get my eating habits in order, I'll be sure to be mindful of this fat business.
This is undoubtedly true. I mean, I can't avoid the campus cafeterias forever... D:

Still, it is a relief to know that the cheapest fallback food for any dormitory collegiate has only excessive sodium levels to concern me.

08-11-2008   #15 (permalink)
PolandSpring wut!?

KuroKoden will become famous soon enoughKuroKoden will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KuroKoden Send a message via Yahoo to KuroKoden
IGN: KuroKoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momijii
Yes, very true. Trans fat cannot be burned off. So yes, that's right, that 9001 grams of Trans fat from last night's Big Mac, yea, it'll grow old with you. 8D

Oh, and if you still don't get how bad it is for you, think of cholesterol. What is cholesterol measured in. Milligrams. And guess what Trans fat is measured in, grams. (This is just what my sister said, I still kind of don't get it. .-.')
wait so you can never burn it off, ever?

Thats horrrible.... im going to die.

I have high matoblism, so i take advantage and eat fast food like every 2 weeks. when i do i get like a double quater pounder or whooper!

yet i still way 120;bs at 5' 6.5''

08-12-2008   #16 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorpalBunny
There's a loophole some companies use to fool you. If a serving size contains 0.5g of trans fat, they can round it down to zero. That's often why you see the serving size for cookies as three or less. Crisco's new formulation still has trans fat, but they alter the suggested serving size as well so it's effectively zero when it's actually not.
This, of course, applies only to the United States.

To see a perfect example of this, go here: Nutritional Information

Click on the US nutritional info first, then compare it to the Canadian nutritional info.

08-12-2008   #17 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

imitation cheese .-.?

gd now I can't even trust cheese? I'm not even sure if the cheese slice in my tuna sandwich was real now D8

/paranoid

08-12-2008   #18 (permalink)
Awards Event WinnerEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Solemn is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I pretty much avoid all trans fats as best as I can, save for moments when I get a McDonald's craving. I don't eat trans fatty cookies, and I have REAL cheese, lol...what's with the imitation cheese? O.O That's nasty. I often eat those instant noodles, but they never have any partially hydrogenated oils in them. I also avoid Three Crabs fish sauce, or whatever that brand name is, because it has partially hydrogenated oils. xD Go, Golden Boy. :]

08-12-2008   #19 (permalink)
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
imitation cheese .-.?
It's the kind they spray out of a can. They call it cheese only because it meets the bare minimum requirements of what can be legally called cheese.