ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Food (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/)
-   -   Fruit Contrasts? (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/64349-fruit-contrasts.html)

Marisa 11-23-2009 08:49 PM

Fruit Contrasts?

I'm making fruit pizza and I'm in need of flavor contrast.

i.e Blueberry and Raspberry.
Banana and Strawberry.

Things I DON'T want. Bad flavor contrast.

Banana and Kiwi (Ewww? IMO)
Raspberry and Pineapple.

PedroRomero 11-23-2009 08:54 PM

is kiwi strawberry normal?

Marisa 11-23-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroRomero (Post 1066293)
is kiwi strawberry normal?

It is but keep in mind this will be on top of cookie dough^^.

Maybe I'll make one and see if it taste well.

Shiki 11-23-2009 09:15 PM

Do you actually want them to contrast or blend?
I mean, if flavours are blended, they can still have their distinctive taste instead of contrasting them :/.

Mitchi 11-23-2009 09:20 PM

Personally, when dealing with cookies, I prefer to use jam or dried fruits as opposed to fresh ones. When you bake fresh fruit it, it changes the flavor.

That being said, I'd suggest Marmalade and dried cranberries or dried cherries. It will have s sweet flavor from the marmalade, and a tart taste from the dried cranberries/cherries. And the marmalade will develop an almost candy like constancy,

Marisa 11-23-2009 09:29 PM

Fruit flavors blending are fine too. I'm not gonna bake fruits I'm gonna put it fresh on top of it. I'll try what everyone says by splitting the pizza into 1/4ths.

Mitchi 11-23-2009 09:53 PM

Oh, well, if you're putting fresh fruits on already baked cookie dough, I'd still suggest using a jam or jelly of some sort, but one that's kinda mild. This will help the fruits stay on, kinda like a glue. I'm actually very partial the the (I think it's smuckers) "Real Fruit" spreads, they aren't as sweet as jams and have lots of fruit bits in them.

The blue berry kind tastes really good, and would probably be good with some red fruits on it for color, probably strawberry or raspberry bits. Cherry preserves and apricot bits (dried or fresh) would probably work good too.

Griever 11-24-2009 01:34 AM

Miracle Fruit
Lemons

Marisa 11-24-2009 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone! C:

I made a great pizza. Thanks to Mitchi the most. :/

Hopefully you guys have more suggestions because the real one starts tommorow (sp).

Yume 11-24-2009 04:11 PM

Peaches and... something?

Griever 11-24-2009 05:14 PM

I'm telling you. Miracle Fruit and Lemons/Limes.

Marisa 11-24-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griever (Post 1067676)

I did that with 1/4 of the pizza :/.

Mitchi 11-25-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griever (Post 1067676)

Uh...no? That would make the cookie too sweet. You should know this if you know how Miracle fruit works. Also, you shouldn't suggest something that ridiculously expensive when someone is asking for more practical advice.

Also, glad to be of help. Let us know what combos tasted good!

Hmm, let's see...

strawberry jam and cherries cut into small pieces
peaches and blackberries
blackberry jam and blue berries

I know this one's not a fruit combo per se, but Apples and cinnamon? Though you'd have to heat the apples with the cinnamon or it'll just taste weird.

Jessica 11-25-2009 04:36 AM

Apples and cinnamon sounds good. @_@

Marisa 11-25-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchi (Post 1068387)
Uh...no? That would make the cookie too sweet. You should know this if you know how Miracle fruit works. Also, you shouldn't suggest something that ridiculously expensive when someone is asking for more practical advice.

Also, glad to be of help. Let us know what combos tasted good!

Hmm, let's see...

strawberry jam and cherries cut into small pieces
peaches and blackberries
blackberry jam and blue berries

I know this one's not a fruit combo per se, but Apples and cinnamon? Though you'd have to heat the apples with the cinnamon or it'll just taste weird.

I tried the miracle fruit. It tasted okay. I"ll try apple and cinnamon today.

Griever 11-25-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchi (Post 1068387)

Ridiculously expensive? Yeah no. I don't know where you live, but Miracle Fruit really isn't all that expensive. $10 for 1-2 berries. Not like you need more than that.
Uhh...yeah. And no, it wouldn't taste too sweet. The cookie part wouldn't be affected (since its not acidic,) the lemons would just taste like lemonheads.
It would be as sweet as any other fruit.

Marisa 11-25-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griever (Post 1068576)
Ridiculously expensive? Yeah no. I don't know where you live, but Miracle Fruit really isn't all that expensive. $10 for 1-2 berries. Not like you need more than that.
Uhh...yeah. And no, it wouldn't taste too sweet. The cookie part wouldn't be affected (since its not acidic,) the lemons would just taste like lemonheads.
It would be as sweet as any other fruit.

If you have a job you can buy a lot. Miracle Fruit is 10$ here too :/.

Mitchi 11-25-2009 05:33 PM

$10 for 2 pieces of a fruit IS expensive.

Also, eating a lot of acidic fruits, whether they taste sweet with the help of miracle fruit, is STILL not a good idea, as it can damage your taste buds :x

Also, because of the way a cookie and fruit pizza would be, you'd have to ask them to eat the fruit before eating the cookies, and well, that doesn't seem like it would work too well.