ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Food (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/)
-   -   Beer, alcohol, the works. (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/51683-beer-alcohol-works.html)

Serec 07-09-2009 01:22 AM

Beer, alcohol, the works.

Can anyone tell me why people say beer taste "good?"
I've had a sip of beer when I was younger and it tasted horrible. I also had a sip of wine recently, and I gagged :py14:. Is it maybe I'm just not strong enough? lolol

ZeR 07-09-2009 01:37 AM

you're just not strong enought serec <3

You're asking the same question as why people drink coffee instead of water.

"hey let's go down to the water house for a cuppa water and chat for hours"

People drink this stuff because it makes them feel good, short-term and socially.

Example: coffee keeps you awake. Also makes you look intelligent/professional in your career.
Example2: Beer makes you drunk (tranverse reality). If you don't drink it you're uncool/not a real man (*cough* peson)

Also these drugs , yes drugs!!, are addictive.

edit: you asked if it tastes good. I think coffee tastes good but not beer (i like fruity alc drinks more 8D). It doesn't necessarily have to taste good for people to drink them. It's more for what people want to get from it. You can take medicine (which is also a drug) for its effects, not what it taste like (which is horrible)

Leenalia 07-09-2009 02:09 AM

Beer tastes horrible.
Wine tastes bitter, except for Sangrial wine, I don't like any of them.
Coffee is nasty.
OJ and water ftw.

HennaIkimono 07-09-2009 03:10 AM

Beer and wine taste horrible (they both have that grainy taste).
Coffee tastes too bitter, even thru I drink strong black teas a lot (Coffee subsiute) without sugar/milk/whatever (irony much).
defiinetly drink a lot of water and anything else avalable (milk, OJ, etc)

kag 07-09-2009 04:19 AM

Well coffee wine and beer are all bitter.
I believe people like them cause they found something more bitter than their own life >.<
(That's what some people told me)

But for coffee it has caffeine and it can cause addiction.
That's why some people are addicted to Red Bull.

You can look for a pro wine person to introduce you to wines that are more fruity. (If you like it buy a few and keep them or you might not be able to find the same one ever again)

Beers are just cheap alcoholic to get you drunk or void your driving license.

Reason why people drink all these is cause.
Water in general is tasteless and you want something that has some taste. (i think)

Metty 07-09-2009 06:37 AM

I drink tea, water, coffee, beer, whiskey, cola, espressos, lattes you name it. I personally prefer a nice iced tea over water because as its been pointed out water is tasteless. I use powdered iced tea anyway in a 34oz cup so its pretty much mostly water. Coffee I mainly use cold to make an Italian soda. Beer goes straight to my head after two sips and I only drink maybe 2 pints once a year when getting together with friends and family as we relax in the evening. However stronger things such as cognac, whiskey, rum, vodka, gin, kalua, amarula, etc. does not go to my head like beer does so I usually put something like a spoonful in say a milkshake to give it a bit of the flavour or cook with it and usually have a small glass of it once or twice a month on a Friday night to unwind and relax after a meal.

Guiles 07-09-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kag (Post 891791)
Well coffee wine and beer are all bitter.
I believe people like them cause they found something more bitter than their own life >.<
(That's what some people told me)

Yes. This is exactly it. I drink coffee because there's not nearly enough bitterness in my life, and I see fit to add some with a BEVERAGE.

Hng.

Sodacan 07-09-2009 08:21 AM

If beer actually tastes good to anyone, it's an aquired taste. People usually just drink it to get drunk, that's it. Wine is definitely an aquired taste, it takes some getting used to, especially if you're younger. If you really want to drink alcohol, go try some coolers. In some places, depending on the alcohol content (usually 0.5%, I think, so you'd be hardpressed to even get a buzz from that), minors are allowed to buy coolers.

iFarted 07-09-2009 09:10 AM

Like what IEatGarbage said, you'll have to get used to beer before you actually like it, I think.
I tried wine and took shots before, and it tasted like medicine to me. But each time you try it, it'll gradually becomes better and better. o-o

Catharsis 07-09-2009 09:38 AM

It's an acquired taste.

Javier 07-09-2009 09:54 AM

I hate bitter beer and wine as well. I go for sweeter red wines, and occasionally, fruity beers (eg. Timmermans).

The nice thing about a few glasses of wine, is that it won't make you flat out drunk (well, depending on your tolerance); you'll just get to that euphoric state of being perfectly aware of everything, but at the same time slightly light headed, relaxed..and happy (if that makes any sense).

NoeJeko 07-09-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis (Post 891976)
It's an acquired taste.

This. I don't know anyone who liked it their first time (myself included). For the first few times you're just doing it to be social - you don't really do it for the taste. Somewhere along the lines, however, you find that you now appreciate the taste of a good brew or glass of wine.

Ken 07-09-2009 03:00 PM

im underage for wine+beer~:X...liked wine, beer's okay too

Tardar 07-10-2009 08:56 AM

I've tried wine before, and if I remember right, I didn't care for it at all. Tasted like butter, sort of. >=x
Too underage for beer, and parents don't drink it either... so no.

Ethane 07-10-2009 12:18 PM

if you start drinking beer you have to make a choice: the first is "don't care", the second is "beer snob"

there is a sizeable population of people out there who will judge character on the type of beer a person prefers to quaff, and they honestly believe that thier social standing in the human race is proportional to how much money they spend on ales

these people are complete morons btw, I love my Natural Light

Sanctus 07-10-2009 05:07 PM

Rum & Coke is pure awsomeness.
On my first drink of it I was like " OMG! Where have you been hiding my entire life? =D"

Yoruhime 07-10-2009 06:41 PM

To me, it doesn't taste "good". Instead, I like those beer cans where the alcohol percent is very little.
I'm pretty much the same as you. I don't like red wine. It tastes funny. Never force yourself to drink it fast either (I did that to finish the wine quickly before leaving). If I had to drink, I would choose white wine though; I think it's a bit sweeter.

kag 07-10-2009 11:57 PM

Beer + Zapple [Forgotten the spelling] is nice

Mix beer with other soft drinks so they taste better
since beer is cheap.

Red 07-11-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 892111)
This. I don't know anyone who liked it their first time (myself included). For the first few times you're just doing it to be social - you don't really do it for the taste. Somewhere along the lines, however, you find that you now appreciate the taste of a good brew or glass of wine.

Exactly. Start with something light like Corona...lol:py42: