ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Food (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/)
-   -   Cooking! :D (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/1319-cooking-d.html)

Solemn 06-22-2008 04:38 PM

Cooking! :D

Lol, I love to cook! :p A sorbet or a cold cucumber soup is always nice in the summer. :D (Well, the cold cucumber soup is kind of nasty in any weather if it's not made how you like it... O.O) This is a nice website for some tasty recipes: Thai Table.

I myself am not Thai, but their cooking is a great blend of sweet, sour, and spicy, so rich and flavorful and crunchy...yum. *glad to have a bowl of Thai noodles next to me*

So what do you guys cook (if you cook at all :D)?

P.S. We should totally have a section for cooking. xD Something like, The Mini Le Cordon Bleu. ;) Then we could share recipes and all that...I'm running out of recipes that I trust. x]

Oh, and share your recipes please? :) I'll need some positive feedback and descriptions, too, before I try to make it and taste it, because...well...with food...uh...I'm pretty paranoid. Here's a basic recipe most know and love. x]

Egg Fried Rice

Ingredients

* 2 and 1/4 cups of cooked rice
* 1 tablespoon of olive oil
* 5 finely chopped spring onions
* 4 finely sliced cloves of garlic
* 1 large egg
* 1/3 cup of peas (preferably garden peas or petit pois)
* 2 teaspoons of soy sauce

Instructions

1. Add and heat the oil in a wok.
2. Throw in the onions and garlic, and fry that for 30-40 seconds.
3. Dump in the rice. Stir-fry for two minutes.
4. Splash in the soy sauce on top of the rice for flavor.
5. Crack the egg on top of the rice, and mix it well.
6. Serve it, and enjoy this quick and easy meal!

Increase proportions according to the number served. This serves one.

kuyaBaka 06-22-2008 04:56 PM

I personally think that friend rice tastes better with carrots than peas. Carrots have a subtle sweetness to them, especially if cooked just right.
A cooking forum would be totally awesome, though I'm sure it'd turn out to be a sub-forum to something.

As for cooking, I love Italian. Now, I can't roll out my own pasta (although I'd REALLY like to learn how to) and am forced to buy the boxed stuff, but I make my red sauces myself.

Italian Red Sauce
Ingredients:
= About 4 cans of whole tomatoes (Italian tomatoes for more Italian flavor)
= Some EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
= 2-3 Cloves of Garlic, sliced
= Some Red Pepper Flakes
= 1 Cup of Red Wine (use the cooking wines if you must)
= Dried Oregano
= Salt/Pepper to taste
= Some basil

Instructions:
1. Puree tomatoes, remove seeds if any
2. Heat the olive oil in medium heat in a medium saucepan
3. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned
4. Add red pepper flakes
5. While the oil is still hot, pour in half of the tomato puree and wine
6. Mix, then add the rest of the tomatoes
7. Add oregano and simmer until thickened
8. Add basil and salt/pepper to taste

Yume 06-22-2008 05:25 PM

Today...

I cooked an egg into a piece of toast... it took me a few tries. x.o;

.___. *burnt the bread*

I usually just throw things around in the kitchen, but I follow a recipe for tiramisu<3
*steals her recipes from else where* Dx; I actually have a notepad for recipes. :D

TIRAMISU

2 eggs
500g Mascarpone cheese
1 table spoon icing sugar
1c strong black coffee
16+ lady fingers (Depends on size of pan)
cocoa powder or hot chocolate

Sift
a deep pan (depends on how high or wide you want it; most people build up)
bowls
egg beater/whisk

-separate the whites and yolks from the two eggs
-in the bowl with the yolks, beat them lightly, then add the table spoon of icing sugar; mix together
-in the bowl with the whites, beat/whisk until stiff and forms soft peeks
-in a larger bowl, mix the yolks (with the icing sugar) with the Mascarpone cheese
-fold in the egg whites until they're folded together

-have the pan ready and dip one side of the lady fingers(they absorb liquid quickly) into the coffee and lay them side by side on the bottom of the pan
-dust the layer of lady fingers with the cocoa powder or hot chocolate (use the sift)
-spread SOME of the mascarpone cheese/egg/icing sugar mix ontop of the lady fingers
-add another layer of lady fingers dipped in coffee
-cocoa powder or hot chocolate
-add cheese mix
-continue this until you've run out of mix and lady fingers

The top layer should be the cheese mix. Cover the top with tinfoil, and leave it to chill for several hours (just leave it over night).

Before eating: Sprinkle the top with cocoa powder or hot chocolate and enjoy. :D

I also tried to make Churro's but they didn't turn out very well... b> playdough squeezer thingy

Churros

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (reduced from 1 3/4 cups)
pinch of salt (reduced from 1/4 t)
1 T sugar (reduced from 2 T; most times I omit it)
1/4 cup veg oil (other recipes use butter)
1 egg, beaten (can add a few drops of vanilla)
1/4 cup fine brown or white sugar
1 t cinnamon powder
1 cup water

1. Mix together the 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon powder well, leave aside.

2. Put oil and water into a small pot. Sift flour, salt and sugar together. When water boils, switch off heat and put in all the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon. This part needs a lot of muscles as the dough is quite stiff.

3. After 2 min, add the egg into the dough and stir well till all the egg is absorbed.

4. Heat up about 6 cups of veg oil in a small pot. Find the largest star nozzle (best if about 1/2 "/1.25 cm in diameter) you have and, using a cloth piping bag or plastic piping tube (a plastic bag one will burst), push the dough out into small coils or 's' shapes directly into the hot oil (caution: one of my friends, a Spaniard, burnt herself very badly cooking churros so do be careful).

5. Turn churros over to get even browning. When it is medium brown, scoop it out onto paper towels to drain. Then quickly toss into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and serve hot.

:D I find a lot of recipes on soompi forums... which I go on rarely. x.o;;

JC 06-22-2008 05:34 PM

Omg, I love you, some recipes ;3

Sorry I can't give my pig blood sauce recipe, my family likes it to stay with us for some reason >_> hint though, spices + pig blood then it'll taste awesome :3

Haiko 06-22-2008 05:37 PM

I can't really cook stuff... only simple things, like pasta, meat, rice, eggs... lol.
Sausages/nuggets and that kind of stuff don't count, I suppose. D:

I'll post a cake recipe later (I'm a pro cake maker 8D)

kuyaBaka 06-22-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiko (Post 16945)
I can't really cook stuff... only simple things, like pasta, meat, rice, eggs... lol.
Sausages/nuggets and that kind of stuff don't count, I suppose. D:

I'll post a cake recipe later (I'm a pro cake maker 8D)

I fail at baking anything. Pastries and desserts aren't my thing. ._.;

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC (Post 16940)
Omg, I love you, some recipes ;3

Sorry I can't give my pig blood sauce recipe, my family likes it to stay with us for some reason >_> hint though, spices + pig blood then it'll taste awesome :3

I hate anything with pork blood in it. My parents tried to get me to eat it when I was a kid. I hated it then, I'll hate it now.

Catharsis 06-22-2008 06:45 PM

I can't cook... ;; So I'll just leech info here, w00t.

Keep the recipes coming.

JC 06-22-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuyaBaka (Post 17087)
I fail at baking anything. Pastries and desserts aren't my thing. ._.;

I hate anything with pork blood in it. My parents tried to get me to eat it when I was a kid. I hated it then, I'll hate it now.

I think the only people who didn't try the pork blood sauce were some jewish friends of mine.
Oh well, no loss for you, since you don't know what you're missing. 8D

Bob 06-22-2008 06:56 PM

Pig`s blood with spices sound awesome. The nastiest stuff tastes the best, like balut. EXCEPT I CAN`T EAT THE POOR LITTLE DUCKIE. T______________________T...

Henreh 06-22-2008 06:56 PM

For people that are going to attempt making fried rice. Dice everything that you're going to add into small pieces. The larger it is the longer it takes too cook. Stir ALOT especially after adding the egg. Dark soy sauce after adding soy sauce for color if you think color makes it more delicious ;O.

kuyaBaka 06-22-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henreh (Post 17117)
For people that are going to attempt making fried rice. Dice everything that you're going to add into small pieces. The larger it is the longer it takes too cook. Stir ALOT especially after adding the egg. Dark soy sauce after adding soy sauce for color if you think color makes it more delicious ;O.

I can't cook fried rice for crap. Not that I like it, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 17116)
Pig`s blood with spices sound awesome. The nastiest stuff tastes the best, like balut. EXCEPT I CAN`T EAT THE POOR LITTLE DUCKIE. T______________________T...

Oh gosh -- I hate that stuff.
I ate it. I didn't like it.

I blew up chunks afterwards.

Ascherit 06-22-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuyaBaka (Post 17087)

D: YOU MADMAN. Pork blood is delicious.

I'm Thai, so in dishes like 'Nom Jeen' (lolfailromanization), pork blood is a MUST, or else the soup will taste...stale. Pork blood in its gelatinous form is also tasty. It's chewy and compliments the soup very well.

Also, the only dish I know how to make is wonton soup. I can't really give any specifics on the dish since I don't measure the ingredients, but it's basically a pound of ground pork mixed with 1 egg, 3 spoonfuls of oyster sauce, a pinch of salt and pepper, 1 spoonful of some sort of bean sauce, and 3 spoonfuls of corn starch. The wonton wrappers you can buy at any Asian supermarket or at the Asian section in your local Fiesta store.

For wonton assembly, place a small spoonful of the pork mixture into the middle of a wonton wrapper and using your finger, dab each corner of the wrapper with egg yolk. (the egg yolk acts a 'glue' for the corners of the wontons to stick to each other) Then, you fold the wrapper diagonally so it meets its opposite corner and dab some more egg yolk on the right side of the triangle. Next you bring the two leg corners up and tuck the egg yolk corner underneath the dry corner. And that's how you assemble the wonton~

As for the soup, it's all up to your preferences, but I usually make my soup with water, chicken boulion cubes, bean sauce, and some salt and pepper.

Tip: Don't cook the wontons in the soup, cook them in a pot of boiling water first, THEN transfer them into the soup.

Henreh 06-22-2008 07:17 PM

oh my my delicious tarp knows how to make wontons <3

kuyaBaka 06-22-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senpai (Post 17150)
D: YOU MADMAN. Pork blood is delicious.

I'm Thai, so in dishes like 'Nom Jeen' (lolfailromanization), pork blood is a MUST, or else the soup will taste...stale. Pork blood in its gelatinous form is also tasty. It's chewy and compliments the soup very well.

I distaste pork blood.

Pan-Seared Rib Eye
Ingredients:
1 boneless rib eye steak
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Instructions:
Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

Simple. Easy. Done.

Kruger 06-22-2008 08:40 PM

Good to see others who are into culinary. I just love to mix things.

Punch of 7 Soho

Perfect for parties, who can not resist lychee and alcohol?

1. Fill a glass halfway with any fruit juice (I like tropicana orange,mango and peach blend).
2. Fill with 1/4 7 up.
3. Add 2-5 caps of Soho (I use the bottlecap from the soho bottle as a unit of measurement). 2 caps for the flavor, 5 caps for the punch. Heh heh...
4. Garnish with whatever fruit you want (slice of lime, lemon, cherry).

Oyster Shots

Because raw oysters make you smart! Or is it the pearls.... either way they also go nicely at parties and seafood dinners.
DO NOT make this recipe during the beginning of the months of March through the end of April, red tide and dinoflagellates bloom season. You want bloody diahrea?

1. Open some FRESH oysters, already opened and canned stuff tastes like crap because they are crap.
2. In a dish, have a mix of 75% table salt with 25% black pepper. Wet the rims of shot glasses and dip it into the salt/pepper mixture. The idea here is to make the rims crusted with salt/pepper.
3. Put 1 oyster into each shot glass.
4. Fill the shot glasses 75% Clamato and the rest with citron vodka.
5. (Optional) add a small stick of celery, it's really there just to add a "crunch" and color factor.

Vegetable (and bones XD) Stew (Yields ~2.3 liters)

One of my biggest accomplishments in my history of cooking. The bones can be from chicken, beef, pork, turkey, won't really matter because they all make the soup taste so much better.
(I use an electric stove btw.)

1. Chop up half a bulb of onion (large one of course), 2 potatoes, 4 sticks of celery, 4 sticks of carrots and 4-6 tomatoes.
2. In a large pot, add some olive/canola oil (I prefer olive oil because it goes very nicely with the onions and garlic) and heat it on medium heat.
3. Add the onions and saute for about a minute or 2 at mid-high heat, constantly stirring to keep any bits from burning.
4. Add the rest of the vegetables, keep stirring for 3 minutes. Then turn to low heat.
5. Add 2L of boiling water. Let it sit for about a minute.
6. With a good knife, cut open the bones to expose the marrow, then add those to the soup.
7. Dice 2 cloves of garlic and add them in.
8. Let it sit on low heat for a good 2-4 hours, the idea is to bring out all of the flavour from the bones and veggies into the soup.
9. Chop up some fresh parsley, thyme, whatever other herbs you like and add them in.

kuyaBaka 06-22-2008 09:17 PM

Maybe not actual food, but it goes great with Vietnamese food!
(I actually took this from BravoTV's Top Chef. Tried it out myself, and I loved it.)

Aloe Cucumber Refresher
Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Water
1 lb. of Fresh ginger, cut in 2" chunks
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (and 24 leaves for garnish)
2 large cucumbers
1 L sparkling water
1/2 cup aloe juice (some Asian stores will have them, although some might me diluted with water and sugar)

Instructions:
Boil water and sugar in a saucepan in medium heat. Stir well so the sugar dissolves. Add the ginger and basil mixture to the syrup and reduce to a simmer, then let it simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and cool.
Roughly chop one and a half cucumbers and thinly slice the remaining half for garnishing. Place the cucumbers in a blinder with 2 tablespoons of sparkling water. Blend on low under pureed. Add more of the water, 1 tablespoon at a time in the mixture is too thick. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding cucumber pulp and reserving cucumber juice.
Fill an 8oz glass with ice and add 2-3oz each, to taste, of gunger/basil syrup, aloe juice, and cucumber juice, Top with a splash of the sparkling water and garnish the basil and cucumber.

Solemn 06-22-2008 09:41 PM

WHOA, these all sound so delicious. I think I'm going to try some of them tomorrow if I have time. ;) In the meantime, here's a recipe for...

Pizza Loaf Pick-Me-Up

Ingredients

- 1 1-pound loaf of frozen bread dough
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen spinach that is thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped, fresh basil
- 12 ounces of shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup of sliced and cooked Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup of pizza sauce
- 1/4 pound of thinly sliced pepperoni (Thick is </3!)
- 1/2 cup of sliced black olives

Instructions

Let the frozen dough thaw until its pliable, or workable. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 3/4 of the bread dough. Line a greased loaf pan with that dough. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the spinach, Parmesan cheese, egg and basil, and set this aside. Place 1/2 of the shredded Mozzarella cheese on top of the bread layer (which is lined in the greased loaf pan). Top it with cooked sausage, the pizza sauce-spinach mixture, the remaining Mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, and olives. Try to keep the ingredients layered for organization and presentation. :p

Roll the remaining dough into a rectangular shape and cover it to fit loaf pan. Cover all fillings, and seal edges by pressing them firmly together. Cut off the excess dough and two slits on top of the loaf to let steam escape. Bake it in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is a golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Then, remove it from the oven, and let it cool in the loaf pan for about 15 minutes. Remove it, then, from the pan, and allow a cooling time of at least an hour. It's easier to slice when it's cooled down.

This is great, because you can serve it warmed up or cooled down, so it's perfect for pretty much any season (preferably cooled during the summer, I would assume).

This makes 8 servings (since I never exactly make it for only myself, unless I have those days when I want to feel tubby [68 pounds of pure tubbiness]). Modify proportions to your liking, and enjoy! :cool:

Khmer2k1d5 06-22-2008 09:45 PM

Honestly, I'd love to learn how to make food from scratch, but sadly I don't.

Lol, I do know how to make Ramen noodles!

kuyaBaka 06-22-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khmer2k1d5 (Post 17566)
Honestly, I'd love to learn how to make food from scratch, but sadly I don't.

Lol, I do know how to make Ramen noodles!

Hang out with us for a while and we'll show you how to cook~8D

Khmer2k1d5 06-22-2008 10:08 PM

Haha, I might burn something since you guys are across the interwebs ;o