ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Food (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/)
-   -   Fried Bugs (http://ggftw.com/forum/food/104783-fried-bugs.html)

Bolter 11-11-2011 10:25 PM

Fried Bugs

well, in some countries of the world, they do serve things like fried tarantula, fried scorpions and as well as many types of fried insects like crickets, beetles etc and even things like fried starfishes and seahorses.

I've not tried any of them yet, but how many here have? what does it taste like and do you like it?

and oh yeah there were also chocolate covered ones too if I'm not wrong.

Jessica 11-12-2011 10:30 AM

I'm extremely terrified of insects and spiders, so I don't think I'd ever eat something like that. As for starfishes, seahorses and scorpions, I haven't tried either. >:

Torikakae 11-12-2011 10:35 AM

Back in the countryside before I became a vegetarian, we ate cooked snakes, beetles and other insects~

Can't remember how they taste like though. All I remember are very hairy legs getting stuck between your teeth >_> The older guys seem to love it though.

Kirks 11-12-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1637092)
Back in the countryside before I became a vegetarian, we ate cooked snakes, beetles and other insects~.

You forgot about snails and cats, dood!

Torikakae 11-12-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven (Post 1637100)
You forgot about snails and cats, dood!

Oh yeah! Snails~ And centipedes, and lizards~

I never ate cats >_>

Mums 11-12-2011 11:19 AM

I've been wondering this too. If I ever get the opportunity I'll try some. If you're curious you can get some edible insects here.

kuyaBaka 11-12-2011 11:31 AM

There's this place that I pass by on my way up and down from college to home every break that sells beetles, crickets, and scorpions inside caramel, chocolate, and lollipops. I remember having a school trip up to San Jose one time in the 7th grade and we stopped by this place to get some gas and everyone bought those candies, me included.

It didn't taste bad. I mean, it was coated in heavy layers of sugar. Biting into it, there's a nice crunch. The thing is that you chew it and all the pieces and stuff go everywhere in your mouth. Then you start grinding all the stuff down and it feels like you're eating sugary sawdust.

On the topic of eating bugs, I've always fancied the thought of eating beetles and grubs and stuff after watching Lion King for the first time. Those damn bugs Timon and Pumba ate looked so yummy-- hell, I watched the 3D one when it came out like 2 months ago and still wanted to eat bugs after watch that.

Bolter 11-12-2011 08:37 PM

well I heard that fried tarantula tasted like soft-shelled crab and fried beetles tasted like fried scallops though

and yea, I've heard of people eating pigeons, cats, dogs and snakes yes

I've even heard of people eating roaches...

Lilica 11-12-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolter (Post 1637404)
well I heard that fried tarantula tasted like soft-shelled crab and fried beetles tasted like fried scallops though

and yea, I've heard of people eating pigeons, cats, dogs and snakes yes

I've even heard of people eating roaches...

I've personally had pigeon, its not all that bad. A bit chewy otherwise ok.

AnaSyami 11-16-2011 02:05 AM

Oh I had pigeon too, and rabbits.
But as for insects..I don't know if I could bare the thought or the feeling of them in my mouth. instant throw up probably.. But I wonder what they taste like..

Javier 11-16-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1637105)
And centipedes

Good god, how do you eat those nasty things? They're poisonous! I stamp those ****ers out whenever I see one. Flattened. With my foot.

Torikakae 11-16-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1639395)
But I wonder what they taste like..

They taste like unseasoned turkey meat...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1639419)
Good god, how do you eat those nasty things? They're poisonous! I stamp those ****ers out whenever I see one. Flattened. With my foot.

Don't knock it till you try.....on second though, knock away. I didn't like it when I tried it neither. Those damn legs keep getting stuck between your teeth.

TheGazettE 11-16-2011 04:28 AM

ive had fried buttered crickets..theyre..crunchy and weird tasting~

Bolter 11-16-2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1639419)

why not? after we had fried tarantula and scorpions too which are also toxic

AnaSyami 11-16-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1639423)
They taste like unseasoned turkey meat...

So.. if they seasoned the bugs they would taste like seasoned turkey meat pretty much right..:py07:

Lala 11-16-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1639501)
So.. if they seasoned the bugs they would taste like seasoned turkey meat pretty much right..:py07:

I'll stick with actual seasoned turkey, thanks.

I definitely could not eat bugs. Those kinds of things are meant to happen by accident (like a fruit fly flying in your mouth) not on purpose. I think I'd pass out with any kind of giant spider on my plate, regardless of dead or alive. :py06:

AnaSyami 11-16-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaidLatte (Post 1639679)
I think I'd pass out with any kind of giant spider on my plate, regardless of dead or alive. :py06:

I don't think I could handle knowing any of those things are in my mouth, but I think the smaller things/bugs ect. would make me more nauseous because they're like..idk roaches eww.. i'd freakn throw up and probably not eat for some days LOL :py30:
Sigh.. now thanks giving is coming up.. Gonna be akward to eat turkey :c

Harlequin 11-16-2011 08:58 PM

I'll eat basically whatever as long as it smells good and you don't tell me what's "really" in it. I'm not really picky :v

WhatThePho 11-17-2011 05:03 PM

silk worm cocoons. yum.