Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Cornelia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Cornelia
Default New netbook = new problems

A lil' longer than a week ago my new netbook finally arrived. After spending some time messing with it and installing modem USB drivers I called my ISP for technical support. The guy arrived 3 days later, configured everything and asked me to plug the modem in. That's when the problems started.
I plugged it in the Ethernet port and waited for all the lights to go on. It got stuck at the last one, indicating a 'Link' with the device. In other words, my netbook couldn't see the modem at all. I couldn't plug it in to a USB port either, as the USB drivers won't work on my OS (Windows 7 64 bit). Or rather, they are supplied with W7 already in an update, which I can't download because I have no internets.
The guy persuaded me that the Ethernet port is broken and at the time it seemed to make sense. The modem did work fine after plugging it in to my old desktop after all, right? And so I've sent it back to the store I ordered it from, so they would either fix it or deliver me a new one.
Today I've finally got a reply from them. And apparently it works FINE on their end. Now I'm both pissed that I've send a perfectly good computer away and won't see it for another week or so, and that it's something on my side that I don't know how to fix. I'm never listening to a tech guy again, no matter how cute and nice he is.
Now for some specs... Netbook is Asus EEE PC 1215N with Windows 7 64 bit. Modem is Arris CM550B. Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it? I'm thinking on buying a wireless router anyway (though I'm not 100% sure that'll help, I'm a networking newb), but it still bugs me how it works correctly everywhere BUT at my home, where it's supposed to. I'm starting to become paranoid, thinking it's my fault somehow. Ugh.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
ZeR
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleDragon Nest

ZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of light

Tried using another ethernet cable?

Make sure your Local Area connection is enabled.

03-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

did you reboot your modem after you plugged in?

What does the Local Area connection say when you check the status?
Do a ipconfig /renew or a /release after you plug in?

I think it is probably the modem's problem cause it leased the ip to the old laptop and it remembers that lease and somehow doesn't want to lease another. (i'm guessing)
If you remember the ip the old Desktop is getting you can try setting a static.
Usually it is 192.168.1.X (X can be 2-254) or somewhere there and the gateway is 192.168.1.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0

1215N is supposed to be pretty good.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

03-02-2011   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

By modem do you mean Router?

If it's the modem, you can't renew IP constantly. The ISP will have limitations in place preventing you from doing that. This means that if an IP is leased to a certain MAC Address (your computer), you can't just unplug and plug in another machine and believe it will work.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

03-04-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Cornelia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Cornelia

Thanks guys, everything's fine now. Just got the netbook back and this time it works OK for some reason. I didn't have to do anything at all, just plug the modem in and voila. What is this I don't even.

I'm actually typing this post from my netbook right now.

And yeah, what I was refering to definitely wasn't a router (I actually bought a wireless router just now, but I digress). And I did reset it after re-plugging, just to clarify. Oh well, as long as it's working correctly I have no reason to complain. Time to enjoy some mobile internets.