01-06-2011   #1 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation
Default Portable PC Gaming Laptop

Interesting, and sound concept so far, but as to how it'll actually work and if it'll function correctly...skeptical. But let's keep an eye on it anyway, you never know.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-06-2011   #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

"Portable laptop" is kinda redundant, isn't it?

It does sound interesting, but will the keyboard change like that? Also, it doesn't have a row where the F1-F12 buttons would be, and I've played an fps which uses some of those buttons. So this gaming laptop won't work as well for an fps that uses those keys? Looks like it'd be good for Starcraft, Warcraft, and WoW at least.

Also, was it just me or did it sound like they kept avoiding using the word "laptop" to describe what it is? I kept hearing them call it a "portable device". Why?

01-06-2011   #3 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm cynical about this after watching the video. Right after they said 'Intel Atom', the next thing that shows up on the screen is Quake 3, which people played 10 years ago... on a Pentium 2. Yeah, yeah, it's a competitive game and suited for the demo. But still, why not showcase something that isn't weak on the hardware front and more recognizable to the modern audience?

01-06-2011   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Awesome! Let's play Metro2033 on an Intel Atom, how about some 4 vs 4 SC2? Seriously though. Atom? Even Atom Duo, won't be able to handle gaming at all. They need an i3 at least.

I really want to just try Atom Duo + GTX580SLI.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

01-06-2011   #5 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Unless this can run Tf2 in Very High Settings I'll might get it, but other then that is a terrible idea +_+;;;

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

01-06-2011   #6 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

So it's an laptop with symbol keys feature/touch screen...with an intel atom that can play dota,WoW, and Quake. Would be impressive in 2007.

01-11-2011   #7 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Useless
Great if you want to get hand cramps, tendonitis and RSI.

OpenPandora <-- i would rather buy this cause it is made for handheld

WASD on a handheld is just fail.
Although i know the keys are mappable but it isn't going to be more handheld.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

01-11-2011   #8 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
WASD on a handheld is just fail.
Although i know the keys are mappable but it isn't going to be more handheld.
I don't think it's supposed to be a handheld. It appears to be about the size of a small netbook. The screen is about 7 inches.

01-12-2011   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

But honestly the asian guy talking from the start makes it sound so cool in some way.

But i did realise that there was a USB port, so i guess it isn't that bad. (Yea I need mouse for action and real time games which they seem to be showing)
It might work once microsoft release their Windows ARM and use ARM processors which can be as good as x86 ones using lesser power.

Anyway this is an old idea which is overrated due to the configurable keys.
IMO: Most gamers don't even look at the keys, cause most controls of the games are mappable you don't really need "special" dedicated keys, images on the keyboard are just to show off to your friends or strangers wanting to know what skills did you have. (Have fun configuring the button images thou)

Note: I would play world of goo on it thou.
And the problem is, it would "probably" cost more than a 3DS which can be an instant fail for me. (And you are definitely not going to do much work on it with limited keys so you might as well get 3DS)

Another Suggestion: Get a 11.6 inch AMD Fusion E350 on it, so you can do real work and play better games on it. Unless you really want to play FPS so badly in transit.

Luckily it is still a concept, if it is going to be a handheld keep it a handheld (Which most windows games aren't made for [auto gg])

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 01-12-2011 at 05:39 AM.

01-12-2011   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Blade & SoulCabal OnlineChampions OnlineCombat Arms

Uncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to all

looks like shit, keyboard is beter than that... and gamers dont use small shits like that, except maybe laptops (real high end ones [AKA MX17,g73, etc])... fps would totally fail(unless the wait 4 the release of the APUs and see what's up with them)

01-12-2011   #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games

Wow... I didn't think they were intending for you to use it like a handheld considering everything. I like it less than I did before now.

01-12-2011   #12 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted
looks like shit, keyboard is beter than that... and gamers dont use small shits like that, except maybe laptops (real high end ones [AKA MX17,g73, etc])... fps would totally fail(unless the wait 4 the release of the APUs and see what's up with them)
What's MX17? You mean m17x, that's 17 inches. G73 is also 17 inches. And gamers do use small shits like that. m11x for example.

I still advise people to save the money on a gaming laptop. Get a cheap laptop ~$400 i3, and a good desktop. Will cost same as a gaming laptop.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

01-12-2011   #13 (permalink)
The Ordinary Witch uguuuu
Games
Cosmic BreakSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterMapleStoryMegaman Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Marisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Marisa
IGN: bippusuta
Class: Homing Spammer

If this runs Crysis 2 on best graphics I will approve of this laptop.

Seriously though this sounds interesting the fact that it adapts....I wonder if MS is detected.

01-12-2011   #14 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
Wow... I didn't think they were intending for you to use it like a handheld considering everything. I like it less than I did before now.
Same here, from the video it looks like it's a lot bigger. But from that picture of it, either that person is just huge, or it's a lot smaller. Though I will say the Asian guy talking in the beginning was pretty badass. His voice made the product sound so epic.

-drops from list of things to follow-