Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory
Default Gawker Hacked

Remember to change your passwords if you set your email or anything the same as gawker.

Quote:
Well it had to happen to someone sometime. Gawker, the company that owns Gizmodo and other sites, has been hacked and 1.3 million accounts have been released as a torrent file on the Internet. That means that if you ever registered with any of their sites, your email and possibly password might be accessible to anyone. The group behind the attack, calling themselves Gnosis, have stated that “We went after Gawker because of their outright arrogance”. While many would agree with that statement, it’s hardly a reason to let 1.3 million users suffer.

Either way, the bottom line is still the same: if you have an account with Gawker, you should change your password on sites that use the same password or variations of it. Not a simple task for some, for sure. However, it’s not necessarily that grim. It appears as if the majority of accounts have either not had their password cracked or this has been blanked out prior to the release, stating the password as “NULL”. However the exception is a document called “dumb passwords” which list the full email and password of people with stupid passwords like “password” or “qwerty”. So if you know you have a password that would require at least half a brain to come up with you’re probably safe, and if not then you already have major security issues.
via Gawker hacked, change your passwords | Anything But iPod

Commons sites which you might have registered with gawker
This weekend we discovered that Gawker Media's servers were compromised, resulting in a security breach at Lifehacker, Gizmodo, Gawker, Jezebel, io9, Jalopnik, Kotaku, Deadspin, and Fleshbot.
http://lifehacker.com/5712785/faq-co...n-gawker-media

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 12-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-13-2010   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Eden Eternal

Viiral is on a distinguished road
IGN: Suyin
Class: Cleric
Guild: Neverland

The guys from gawker are pretty dumb.

they are way too cocky

12-13-2010   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

It is more about changing your password if you happen to have registered for those websites. (I'm quite sure some here frequent kotaku, gizmodo and for me lifehacker)

The main concern your passwords are released in a torrent file and distributed to the public.
Meaning your username, email and password is out in the public.

So if you do use the same password for your email or username for any other site, you better change it.
People can just google your username and try out your password on other sites.

Sadly i'm registered, but my email always have a separate password.
Maybe it is time i made use of lastpass password generation.

12-13-2010   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

They only distributed dumb passwords... like "password". Better to change it anyway though.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

12-13-2010   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

really?
i'm still downloading that torrent to see if mine is listed.

12-13-2010   #6 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

That's what the article says at least. It states that most passwords were either blanked out or replaced with NULL. Dumb ones like "qwerty" and "password" were left in. Still a good idea to change it because even if yours didn't get distributed, the hackers still know what it is.

12-13-2010   #7 (permalink)
Belieb!
Games
Bloodline ChampionsLeague of LegendsRift: Planes of TelaraS4 League

JustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to behold
IGN: coolbeans
Class: boss lt_gunslinger
Level: ∞
Guild: kool kids klub

hide yo emails hide yo passwords cuz they hackin erryone out there

12-14-2010   #8 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

nah iz more than that, was looking through the list
thou i didn't see mine