MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Computers & Technology

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
12-18-2009   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina
Default Fix your Firefox Memory Usage/Leak

Everyone loves Firefox right? For their addons, multiple tabs, fast browsing...but there's one thing in common
- The memory usage problem.

Sometime it will even reaches like 300MB of memory usage, just for few tabs opened, and this kinda..well, some people might have limited memory and the memory leak problems kinda annoying.

Here's somew few tips on how to reduce your Firefox memory usage, and also the memory leaks problem.

There will be few steps involving editing the default configurations, and also creating new integer/boolean @ config.

Quote:
- First, type this in your firefox address bar and enter
Quote:
about:config
- Just click on "I'll becareful, I promise!" button.
- Then, right-click on the page, New->Integer. And enter this integer
Quote:
browser.cache.memory.capacity
- You can set the value, like 10240, depending how much cache memory you want to assign.
- More info: Browser.cache.memory.capacity - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
- Just make sure your browser.cache.memory.enable set to TRUE.
Quote:
- Still on about:config page, right-click and select New->Boolean. Enter this
Quote:
config.trim_on_minimize
- And set to TRUE.
- This will attempt to reduce the firefox memory usage once you minimized the Firefox browser.
- Might not work everytime.
Quote:
- Still on about:config page, too. Locate this
Quote:
browser.sessionhistory.max_entries
- If it's not available, right-click New->Integer
- Enter any values on 5-10, depending on the tabs you normally open.
Quote:
- Now go to Tools->Options.
- Click on Advanced->Network.
- Check on your Offline Storage, normally I just set it around 50~100MB.

Below is experimental addon, but you can choose not to install it if you want to.
Quote:
- Now, for firefox addons [still experimental, but it's really a nice addon, stable so far]
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/53880
- Tick "Let me install this experimental addon-on"
- And install the addon.
- Restart your firefox
- There will be a green "M" icon below your firefox status bar, bottom right.
- Right-click on it and select Options.
- Tick the "Activate automatically memory fox when the firefox browser is 1st launched".
- Click OK.
Quote:
- Extra.
- Firefox starts up slow lately? IT might be due to fragmented database.
- CCleaner can fixes this, but you can also use this tool.
- http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox
- Just close firefox, and use the tool to optimizes your Firefox.
Here's my firefox usage with 15 tabs opened
Spoiler!

No more overused memory for firefox

Alright, those tweak should fixes your firefox memory usage/leak issues, if you have any questions, please don't mind to post it here

Last edited by Miyuki; 12-20-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
situation walkspace
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

mamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Moli
Class: Kardashian to_primadonna
Guild: Hores
Xfire: logicks

Thanks for this! Already noticing a drop to 30 MB \o/

12-18-2009   #3 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your less mem-firefox usage :x

12-18-2009   #4 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Skiegh Send a message via MSN to Skiegh
IGN: Skiegh
Class: Sieg
Level: 56+

I'm not a huge tab heavy person but I have been aware of Firefox's usage ever since it upgraded it's interface. So thank you very much.
"There once was a boy who dreamed of being a hero. Who believed sincerely in the battle to banish darkness from a world of light... but light and darkness are equal... and where one exists so too must the other... and when the boy finally realized this he had taken the first step toward being a true hero."

12-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
クレアアアアアア!!!
Games
Ragnarok OnlineLa TaleHello Kitty OnlinePangya
Awards Event Winner

ArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond reputeArturiaPendragon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ArturiaPendragon Send a message via MSN to ArturiaPendragon
IGN: I am the fail of my bone
Class: Fail is my blood and body
Level: Thousand fails, I got
Guild: Success and life dunno me
Xfire: Unlimited Fail Works

Wow Miyu, I really don't know how did you get to do all this. XD Are you a computer professor at a university somewhere? oAo;;

Thanks for the help~ I'll try to do this later, and hopefully there are no side effects on this.

☢ Please click to level up Reimu! ☢

Big thank you to Aimee for the sig!

12-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Apple is A
Games
VindictusLunia

Laughatyou21 is on a distinguished road
IGN: CarmelSan
Class: Eir lu_eir
Guild: OurStory

Oooohh wow, mine went down like 100000. Thanks!

How sexy. <3

12-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
I set fire to the rain
Games
Dragon NestLuniaValkyrie SkyDungeon Fighter Online

1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Erliana
Class: Spirit Dancer lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Excallibur

I'm not going to install the add-on since well, its EXPERIMENTAL. lol

But I followed the rest of the instruction and O_O
Im on 90k!

12-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsim144
I'm not going to install the add-on since well, its EXPERIMENTAL. lol

But I followed the rest of the instruction and O_O
Im on 90k!
The only problem I see with the add-on is that when you do the selected option that Miyu suggests (have it turn on every time you open firefox), it takes a second for each window to load.

It's nice having firefox below 50,000 for once though.
"There once was a boy who dreamed of being a hero. Who believed sincerely in the battle to banish darkness from a world of light... but light and darkness are equal... and where one exists so too must the other... and when the boy finally realized this he had taken the first step toward being a true hero."

12-19-2009   #9 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

I'm at 1/10 of what is used to be lol...

12-19-2009   #10 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

thanks, didn't know about the top few tweaks

Didn't really do much for me.
I realised that memory leaks have to do with the page you visit as well rather than firefox itself but memory fox helps to clear away all these memory leaks from those crappy sites.
I've seen people who left facebook games overnight and it shot from 300MB to 500MB usage. Yea, eww facebook, maybe they already fixed it.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

12-19-2009   #11 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online

Added a tool link for optimizing your firefox ;x

12-19-2009   #12 (permalink)
Sexy Bish &lt;3
Special

SkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to behold

This would have been useful on my 256mb PC

But now I have 8 gigs. Word. All PC's today can handle FF, lol.

Last edited by SkillzKillz; 12-20-2009 at 12:43 AM.

12-20-2009   #13 (permalink)
is cute + gore

Point has a spectacular aura aboutPoint has a spectacular aura about

I don't have the browser.cache.memory.capacity in my FF list. O.o Should I make one...?

12-20-2009   #14 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online

^ it's already stated ....?

12-20-2009   #15 (permalink)
<3
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerTHE CHAMP

Vaizado will become famous soon enough
IGN: Vaiki

18k with one tab
don't really need it though lol

12-20-2009   #16 (permalink)
Fireflies & Lightning Bug

Note is a jewel in the roughNote is a jewel in the roughNote is a jewel in the rough
Guild: FrenchBread

fasterfox add-on pretty much helps with speed too..

btw, thanks miyuki..

12-20-2009   #17 (permalink)
On the Radio
Special
Games
MapleStoryAudition 2PangyaTrickster Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Junior

Kebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kebin Send a message via Skype™ to Kebin
IGN: Kevin
Class: (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ lt_bard
Level: 19
Guild: (◕‿◕✿)

The memory firefox takes up has been a huge problem for me for a while now and after I did this with one tab firefox is taking 70,000 when it used to take 150,000+ Thank you so much I can already notice a speedup~ Fasterfox helps a ton too!

+rep

12-25-2009   #18 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Afom.exe does this belong to memory fox? I know it's a firefox add-on but I am not sure as to which.

Anyways, I got an error from afom.exe and anything I clicked on I downloaded until I restarted firefox. It was kind of weird.

Only add-ons I have are adblock Plus, Memoryfox and Java quick starter. Memoryfox is in beta I believe so I entirely expect it to sometimes crash for one reason or another. I just want to double check if this exe belongs to it or something else.

Thanks in advance.

12-25-2009   #19 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online

You could try disable the addon as well.

12-25-2009   #20 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
You could try disable the addon as well.
That's true but it required me to close my firefox at the time and I had something up that I didn't want to lose.

Anyways, it does belong to Memoryfox so if anyone gets an error from afom.exe don't uh... click anything.