ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Running VirtualBox on your PC (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/63565-running-virtualbox-your-pc.html)

Miyuki 11-15-2009 04:38 PM

Running VirtualBox on your PC

[Introduction]
Quote:

Ever heard about virtualization? Do VMWare or VirtualPC sounds familiar? For now I'd say about Sun's VirtualBox, it's also similar as those other 2 virtualization as I mentioned above, and also this one is free...so you can just use it, distribute it among your friends as long you don't get the profit out of it.

Anyway, what's the purpose of using virtualization software? Easy, few benefits like
- Testing some software before deploying it to working machine.
- Testing antivirus software, or malware test, like my testing - /forum/computers-tec...ware-test.html
- Running some "extra dangerous" application that you doesn't want to disturb your actual machine.
- Good thing about virtualization, if you screwed up the system...just delete and recreate, or just revert to previous checkpoint.
- Running 2 OS-es at the same time, isn't that cool?
- And more...

As for this time, I'd say ...I'll use VirtualBox to play games...yes, play some games actually...such as Trickster Online and more.

Did I said that, Trickster Online, or any games with GameGuard[aka GameGuard] totally HATE HATE HATE Windows 7? There's "possible" fix for Windows 7, but works better with 64 bit than 32 bit[it will causes BSOD in 32 bit]. BUT, even you can play the game with "workaround fix" for Windows 7, you'll exposes yourself to security risks, such as
- Program crashing
- Your antivirus might stops working
- Windows becomes unstable, even after you closed the game

Here's the link about the Windows 7 "possible" fix for GameGuard "protected" games.
- /forum/trickster-onl...s.html#post478

As others says...do it on your own risk, since GameGuard is not officially supported in Windows 7 [32/64 bit]...unless they've patched it. But, as for Trickster Online players, they probably ...won't get the fix, due to ntreev's "stubborness" nature...just look at Windows Vista's for example..did they provides the fixes? NO, the player did. Oh, we can just replaces them in the company then? Shall we? ggFTW-reev [oh god...]

[Getting ready]
Quote:

Before that, we need to prepare something up. Since it's like, a OS on-top of an OS, and yes, you probably guess that...isn't it requires higher system requirements?

Ok, let's check on what's the recommended system requirement, for at least you can play Trickster Online on it, or probably other games as well.

So what you gonna need, for your computer:

Processor
Quote:

Modern process with hardware virtualization is highly recommended.
Use this tool to check if your processor support hardware virtualization.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
AMD: AMD-V
Intel: VT-x
RAM
Quote:

1GB or more, although recommended would be 2GB+, as for your own system, and also the guest system memory allocation.
HardDisk
Quote:

Varies, from 10GB[free space] onward will do.
Graphics Card
Quote:

Any will do.
OS setup [CD/DVD]
Quote:

We'll need them to install the OS.
Those are the vital parts, once you got those ready and checked up, proceed to the next check.

Now, for the tools. Since I'm mentioning about Sun Virtual Box, then you'll need Virtual Box, which available for free here
- Downloads - VirtualBox
[Setting UP]
Quote:

These steps will guides you on how to install the OS, for this, I'll use Windows XP as the guest OS.
Install Virtual Box like any software installations. Then fire up the application.

Click on the "NEW" button:

Name your Project, and select Operating System - Microsoft Windows, and Version as Windows XP:

This step will ask you to on how much amount of RAM you'll allocate for the system. Selecting any from 256MB-512MB will do...based on your physical RAM:

This step will asks you to create a "virtual HDD", just click on NEXT:

As what you read there..just click NEXT..next:

There, you'll have a "hdd" ready...click on Settings:

Afterward, Start the "virtual OS"..and then click on Devices->CD/DVD Drives, and select on where you placed your Windows XP CD:

Click on OK to save...then click the START button to "turn on your machine".

Just follow the standard installation:

There...you've a working Windows XP. Just update your system there..using Windows Update, and remember install DirectX:

Afterward, enable virtualization hardware support, so VirtualBox can take advantage on your hardware processor based virtualization. Click on Settings->System->Advanced.
Tick on both "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" and "Enable Nested Paging" and click on ok

Take note: These options only available if your processor supports hardware virtualization.
[Further steps]
Quote:

This step will enables Direct3D [experimental] function for your VirtualBox.

Please makesure you've installed the Directx before you do this step.
Latest DirectX can be obtained here: Download DirectX 9.0c (Aug 09) - FileHippo.com

Click on Settings->Display, allocates more than 64MB for Video RAM, and tick on "Enable 3D acceleration"

Start your Windows...then click on Devices->Install Guest Additions..but don't run the installation yet:

Restart your "Guest" OS to Safe mode, by pressing F5:

Install Guess Addition by going to My Computer->Setup DVD...makesure you tick the "Direct3D Suppport [Experimental]", then click NEXT...reboot afterward:

[Playing the game]
Quote:

There you've it, to makesure you've Direct3D acceleration, go to Start->RUN...type dxdiag and press ENTER. If Direct3D acceleration is enabled...then it's properly installed.

Run the game, like Trickster Online for an example..and yes, GameGuard do run.

There you have it, you can now play Trickster Online using Virtualbox in Windows 7. Probably it will taxes your system a bit, but at least you're not exposed to unstable system and other security risks.

FPS, performance? It might varies, depending on your system and what kind of games you're playing.
Adding new partition/hdd
/forum/1063940-post13.html

Questions? Ask it here :)

And you can also try other OS like ubuntu as well too! Have fun virtualizing!

//Update//
- On Sun VirtualBox ver 3.1.6 r59338 version and above, it will auto-enable hardware virtualization by default if your processor supports hardware virtualization.
- Corrected some details.

Globalastro 11-15-2009 09:21 PM

I would like to add, I did this on Grand Chase out of boredom at one point (mainly was used for swapping on a bad bad "no-no" server.. aka not official, and it worked decently for me. The biggest issue is getting it Set up... boy, Miyu, i wish you had this guide thingy then :)

WhatThePhuc 11-15-2009 10:12 PM

so it's basically like having a computer inside of a computer

Mitchi 11-15-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePhuc (Post 1054496)
so it's basically like having a computer inside of a computer

Something like that. Essentially, you can use it to have an operating system on top of your other operating system. Virtual Machines can be used for lots of things, like learning how to set up networks when you only have one computer, or running games on a non-native OS (like running windows stuff on linux or vise versa).

You can also use them to test viruses, malware, antiviruses, firewalls, etc.

Miyuki 11-15-2009 11:59 PM

As Mitchi mentioned...I think I should adds other stuff so it won't just mentioning about "playing games" in VB, you can do a lot stuff as well.

Note 11-16-2009 12:28 AM

Keep in mind that there is only a few games that can run on a virtual machine.. :D

Miyuki 11-16-2009 12:42 AM

Yeah, it is...and since Direct3D in VirtualBox still on experimental stage. I think I should include the source in the guide afterward [going to update it with others as well @_@;]

Anyway, not just for games, you might even can run Apple, Linux OS-es as well...saves you trouble from "re-partitioning" and so-on.

Thread renamed to Running VirtualBox on your PC, since I'll include other stuff into this guide as well. If you guys have any questions regarding VirtualBox, having problem during setup...please don't mind to post them here.

Yukipyon 11-16-2009 01:27 AM

My computer science professor requires us to use VirtualBox to run Linux if our host OS is Windows or Mac. VirtualBox rocks! XD

But yeah, great guide! It's very informative and helpful!

kag 11-16-2009 11:43 PM

Note that there are some games where you can just do a Right Click -> Run As -> And run as another user.

Mitchi 11-17-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki (Post 1054573)
As Mitchi mentioned...I think I should adds other stuff so it won't just mentioning about "playing games" in VB, you can do a lot stuff as well.

In one of my classes, our teacher was had us use a VB network to learn to set up and test a dedicated linux firewall computer. I even learned how to network between SuSE linux and Windows.

kelian 11-17-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kag (Post 1055950)
Note that there are some games where you can just do a Right Click -> Run As -> And run as another user.

but most online game cant, this guide was a useful one ,thanks

Light 11-17-2009 01:38 PM

Thanks a lot Miyu for helping me finally get this working right.
+rep

Miyuki 11-22-2009 12:56 AM

Adding new partition/hdd
Quote:

Just follow these steps on how to add another new partition/virtual hdd into your existing Guest OS

Start your Virtual Box, and click on File->Virtual Media Manager

On the Virtual Media Manager, click on New button.

Just click next as usual, setup your preferred harddisk size.

One it's done, it will listed down in the available virtual hard drive list, and click OK.

Now back to your Virtual Box, click your Guest OS, and click Settings button.

Now go to Hard Disks, click the add button..make sure it's primary slave, and click OK after you've done it.

Now start your OS...then one it loads, right-click on My Computer->Manage.

On the Unallocated partition, right-click on it and select New Partition.

Click next, and select your hdd.

Untick when it asks if you want to convert it as dynamic..then just click next.

Once it's done, it will be displayed in your My Computer.

Should have reserved few posts back earlier @_@

kurty 11-30-2009 02:37 PM

i have the error

graphic card error
directx 8.1 reQuest

=[

Miyuki 11-30-2009 03:41 PM

Did you installed the Guest Addon in Safe Mode like mentioned?

IRJustman 12-04-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki (Post 1054114)
Quote:

Originally Posted by apparently from GRC's website... *sigh*
Processor
Quote:
Any modern processor will do, as they all have virtualization support on-chip. Take any Intel C2D or AMD Athlon 64 will do.
Use this tool to check if your processor support hardware virtualization.
- GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|**

This is factually inaccurate.

The only part that actually is accurate is that all recent (within the past two to three years) AMD processors have virtualization support. What's not true is all Intel Core 2-series processors have virtualization. In fact, quite a few Intel Core 2 (both Duo and Quad) processors actually do not have hardware virtualization support (VT-x instructions). You have to buy the higher-end chips in their respective series in order to get it. As an example, my Core 2 Duo E4500 at home does not have the VT-x instruction set, so that has to be done by software. I'd have to replace it with something else to get the support I'm after.

Wikipedia's list of Core 2 processors has a reasonably-accurate (if not up-to-date) list of which processors have VT-x support.

Oh, and don't you even dare get me started on GRC and Steve Gibson...

Hope this helps.

--IJ.

Miyuki 12-06-2009 09:05 PM

Ty for mentioning it, but you don't have to be hostile.

IRJustman 12-07-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki (Post 1083272)
Ty for mentioning it, but you don't have to be hostile.

Ah, sorry. If I came across as hostile, that wasn't my intention and please accept my apologies. It's just that I have a very strong dislike for Steve Gibson. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him on various matters, including and especially computing/network security.

And, as it turns out, what I was saying about all recent AMD processors' having virtualization support (AMD V) is apparently also inaccurate. Many Sempron models do not support virtualization, for example.

Not to mention, I'm actually really glad I found this thread. I've been WONDERING how the bloody hell to set up DirectX support in a WinXP VM. Safe mode for installing the guest additions was the key I was missing.

Thanks for this resource!

--IJ.

TrueDark 02-01-2010 02:39 PM

videocontroller (vga-combalitor (or something)

Hey I have folow your steps , but i cant install the direct3d , because in my host OS (windows xp) is missing the videocontroller (vga-compability) and without that you cant install graphic-card(directx/nvidia (so direct3d to)
Can you help me please , if you know this problem ofcourse.\\

thank you in advance.

Djiriod 03-07-2010 03:46 AM

thanks for the tutorial!
It works fine.
First I had some problems with internet connection, because I use wlan with an usb device.
But now I used lan and I got internet.

Edit:
ok... it worked... one time. But now everytime I wanna start Trickster I get the disconnect due to abnormal connection. Don't know why, because I haven't change a thing since it was working...