ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Miyuki's Safety and Useful Guides and Tips for Newbies! (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/4582-miyukis-safety-useful-guides-tips-newbies.html)

Miyuki 07-23-2008 08:12 AM

Miyuki's Safety Tips and Guides for Newbies!

Screw that, those are outdated :x

Anyway, here's the latest one
Welcome to Windows Live
security tips.docx - Microsoft Word Web App

Will update from time to time. If you've suggestions or questions, just ask them here ;)

Maccus 07-23-2008 10:32 AM

Hey, great post! Its always a good idea to get the user as informed as possible.
Here is another place to check out great freeware:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Also, I use SuperAnti Spyware for my spyware. Works very well and has had great reviews. Plus, its also free. Here is the link:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Safe Surfin!

Toribear 07-23-2008 03:15 PM

great post miyuu =D that would help alot qq

Miyuki 07-23-2008 03:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys ^_^, sure I'll updates them and makes the guides even better ;o

meowmatchy 07-24-2008 01:38 AM

nice guide :D im gonna recommend the mc afee site advisor to a friend but does it work with avg? and miss miyuki does take up some space? ima install it on each comp without my brother's knowledge :x and the wikupload.com O_o it shows the red checkmark?

Kixira 07-24-2008 02:17 AM

Great guide so far!

Two programs I use that you might like to add onto the list are SpywareBlaster and ThreatFire as an extra layer of protection. They're both also very light on resources.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using AVG 8.0. There are TONS of complaints about it slowing down the system or causing problems. Frankly, its better to use Avast or Avira.

I don't use a software firewall, so I can't comment on that. Most people will probably find the Windows Firewall adequate though..

Miyuki 07-24-2008 02:36 AM

^ Yes, I've included them @ my "will be posted" later ;o

Thanks for the suggestions tho ^_^, there's plenty of stuff I'm gonna update later, tips and such x3

Genchou 07-24-2008 12:52 PM

I was just about to find a virus program to download and I stumbled across your thread. >__< It helped me, thanks!

GodofFaith 07-24-2008 01:21 PM

i remember seeing something like this in MT
and i needed some of this thing ty
>.<

meowmatchy 07-24-2008 11:35 PM

thread must be stickied =D

Noctis 07-26-2008 02:43 PM

You got a description yet for Avast and AVG?

Genchou 07-26-2008 06:53 PM

Miyuki, is McAfee a good choice for virus scanning/protection? I have it and I'm not sure if it's really helpful since I've heard bad things about it. ;x

Miyuki 08-31-2008 08:44 AM

Sorry for not updating the guide and replying to the thread for some time @_@

Guides updated with some useful links and tips ;)

[lol, late reply]
@ Genchou - Should be sufficient, and if your license still valid, I suggest you to stick with it for a moment.

Miyuki 09-04-2008 09:06 PM

Links updated, some tips added ^^

More to come ;)

Vegeance 10-12-2008 04:47 PM

Good third party software tools, though I know most of them personally myself :p

You could add Revo Uninstaller, basically it has four modes of uninstalling things (in-depth registry and elements) and some other built-in features that are like CC-Cleaner

Superantispyware could be up there with some anti-spywares too.

Miyuki 10-12-2008 04:50 PM

Thanks.

And yes, its pretty 'common', but maybe not to others ;o

Ah, you reminded me I need to 're-organize' the post and /updates it ^^;

About the self protection, yes, some of them easily /killed by malwares [note: AVG], since I've seen them myself, lol. But depends on the user, they don't just blindly clicks anything .__.;

Miyuki 08-30-2009 08:37 PM

Just additional info, for those who have 4GB ram or more on Windows Vista [32-bit], but it displays as 3GB instead, you guys can download Ultimate Windows Tweaker, here
- Ultimate Windows Tweaker v2, a Tweak UI for Windows 7 & Vista | The Windows Club

- Make sure you run it as administrator
- Go to System Performance
- Tick "Enable Support for 4GB of RAM on 32-bit Windows OS"
- Click on Apply
- Restart

gentonic 09-23-2009 08:55 PM

:py48::py48: thx Miyuki for all the hard work for all tis guide.

TheGazettE 09-24-2009 12:32 AM

heya~

thanks for this, this'll come handy when i get my new PC within the next few weeks :3

kag 10-25-2009 07:07 PM

Steals Miyu's Colours
///Mal/Spyware Prevention with HOSTS file///
Quote:

# BISS Hosts Manager - Downloads | BISS IP Block Lists Mirror | IP Filters | Freeware Security Software Downloads
- Prevents blacklisted sites from loading
- Allows whitelisting and better hosts file management
- Easy to keep hosts file updated
Note: The hosts file contains even slightly unsafe sites, so it will also block some crack sites or some badly infected torrent sites.

# MVPS Hosts - Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
- Prevents blacklisted sites from loading
- This blocks ads as well.

Warning: It may cause some sites to be unusable (Especially the MVPS one), if you do not know how to enable and disable at will avoid this.

///Free Utilities///
#JkDefragGUI - Freeware made by Emiel Wieldraaijer
- Defrag in different settings and scheduling, cleans System temp files, optimizes registry

EDIT: Meow. You can delete my post after adding, so the thread shorter.