League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-17-2009   #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice
Default Build your own PC or buy one?

Which method is cheaper? Buying the parts, case, software, etc and putting it together yourself or buying one that's already put together?

Also, which would you prefer to do?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-17-2009   #2 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

build it, it's cheaper, and better performance, in the long run

as long as you know what you're doing

and you don't need to get vista

02-17-2009   #3 (permalink)
I love you

Milano has disabled reputation
IGN: Miya
Class: Italian
Level: 22
Guild: Reality

When you buy pre-made, there's
always one thing you don't like about the
computer. Build your own. Problem solved. o_o

02-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Build it yourself, if you can't ask a friend or pay some tech shop. Just make sure to get all the parts and make sure they are compatible: volts, slots, etc.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

02-17-2009   #5 (permalink)
<3
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerTHE CHAMP

Vaizado will become famous soon enough
IGN: Vaiki

The only downside to building your own would be lack of OS or no warranty.

02-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
Class: Sith Assassin lt_sorcerer
Guild: Omega Matrix
Xfire: d4rthsid

There is always the option of buying a cheap pre-built and upgrading parts since pre-built machines of decent quality are getting cheaper.

02-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert AwardTHE CHAMP

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

When purchasing a pre made system, you spend more then you have too, and they usually cheap out on a CPU, Video Card, RAM or all of it.

Building one is your best bet, if you have no experience with building a system then you should ask someone who has.

If you want an example of why building is cheaper, consider my situation.
My fathers system cost 950$ (estimated), it's an above average system, Quad core, 6gb ram, nice video card..
My built system cost 670$ (estimated) and it ranks higher then his system, more powerful then his is.

See the major difference? Price and Performance, by shopping smart.
There are many people here who will gladly provide you with a nice system recommendation, for whatever price range you are looking for.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

02-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Melancholy is on a distinguished road

I would suggest buying from Arbico Computers Ltd. They're a great company based in the UK who offer custom built PCs for dirt cheap. I've recently bought a PC from them and it was delivered as scheduled and on time. Their customer support is great too - sometimes they reply to e-mails within a day, but most of the time, in my experience, they reply within a few hours - sometimes even minutes! I'm very happy with the PC too! Just google Arbico and go to their website - seriously, they're a great company!

Last edited by Melancholy; 02-17-2009 at 03:07 PM.

02-18-2009   #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
When purchasing a pre made system, you spend more then you have too, and they usually cheap out on a CPU, Video Card, RAM or all of it.

Building one is your best bet, if you have no experience with building a system then you should ask someone who has.

If you want an example of why building is cheaper, consider my situation.
My fathers system cost 950$ (estimated), it's an above average system, Quad core, 6gb ram, nice video card..
My built system cost 670$ (estimated) and it ranks higher then his system, more powerful then his is.

See the major difference? Price and Performance, by shopping smart.
There are many people here who will gladly provide you with a nice system recommendation, for whatever price range you are looking for.
Hmm... I'm not sure what a good price range would be. I'm mostly just looking for a computer with a good CPU, Video Card, and good amount of RAM( maybe 6gb+?), but without it being too expensive.

Edit: Would $400-$550 be enough for anything good?

Last edited by Noctis; 02-18-2009 at 09:32 AM.

02-18-2009   #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy
You should have gotten that answer by reading the post tbh. Light made a pc for 670, you can make a decent one for 550. 8D
Eh. Idk. My brain doesn't work well sometimes. Plus, I don't really know how much a difference 120-200 dollars really makes in terms of having a good computer. Actually... very little idea whatsoever about price vs. value for computers and computer parts which is why I started this thread to see which way I should be searching: searching for affordable, good, pre-built computers or searching for one in parts. Something to narrow my search efforts.

02-18-2009   #11 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy
This PC is alright, however the Power Supply is lacking, and that could bottleneck it. (I don't see how it can run that video card with 400w)

The CPU is alright, 2.3ghz isn't that outstanding but it's good for whats out there.

Good Computer System, assuming it's prebuilt.

02-18-2009   #12 (permalink)
Devil's Advocate

Vegeance has a spectacular aura aboutVegeance has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Vegeance
IGN: Scorpia, ScorpiaX, Excali
Guild: Hidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
Eh. Idk. My brain doesn't work well sometimes. Plus, I don't really know how much a difference 120-200 dollars really makes in terms of having a good computer. Actually... very little idea whatsoever about price vs. value for computers and computer parts which is why I started this thread to see which way I should be searching: searching for affordable, good, pre-built computers or searching for one in parts. Something to narrow my search efforts.
It's the ''Woo I made an awesome UBER CUSTOMIZED PC YAY that matters, not cost''. It takes 2 to 3 days to make a PC, more if you don't have free time or patience. Though since your talking about cost and no effort, than just buy one.

DIY: The First-Timer's Guide to Building a Computer from Scratch

Last edited by Vegeance; 02-18-2009 at 06:33 PM.

02-18-2009   #13 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

tl;dr

Obviously, it'll be cheaper and better to craft your own computer, but that's only if you're smart and experienced enough to know how.
If you're like me, and know nothing technical, then it'll probably be safer just to buy a good pre-built one.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

02-18-2009   #14 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

It really depends.

If you want an okay computer and you don't know crap about how to build one, a premade is better. Not only does it come with a warranty, it has a monitor too, which from my shopping experience has been one of the costlier things.

Aside from that, you can easily just upgrade a computer that's prebuilt once you're comfortable with working with the hardware. You need to make sure you understand what everything does though.

If you want a badass gaming rig or something with tremendous power, building is the way to go. Just make sure you get stuff that's compatible (and dont get somethig just because it costs more or is newer...some high end old stuff is better than the more expensive newer stuff).

02-18-2009   #15 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

If I weren't getting my laptops for free, I'd consider building one. Unfortunately, I have no experience with building computers. I'd probably ask one of my friends to help me with it.

02-18-2009   #16 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi
Just make sure you get stuff that's compatible (and dont get somethig just because it costs more or is newer...some high end old stuff is better than the more expensive newer stuff).
^ QFT, this is a very important thing.
My computer was only cheep because I got older high end parts, which used to cost hundreds, but thanks to a few newer things, the price dropped like a rock in the one hundred position.

Your system can still pack a punch with hardware outdated by only a few months, and by splitting the cost by 2/3rds of it's first selling price.
And as always, look for sales or deals on hardware, but be sure to ask someone if it's still worth it.

02-18-2009   #17 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

Well there's somethings to consider. Some stock computers come with decent video cards. Most computers should have at least 3-8GB RAM in it already. Power supplies (unless it's pure gaming computer) will be at least between 300 - 500 watts. So most likely you'll want 400 - 600 watts to actually power a decent or good video card and the computer itself. So think about it before buying a stock computer.

tl;dr version

research first D8?

02-19-2009   #18 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
Well there's somethings to consider. Some stock computers come with decent video cards. Most computers should have at least 3-8GB RAM in it already. Power supplies (unless it's pure gaming computer) will be at least between 300 - 500 watts. So most likely you'll want 400 - 600 watts to actually power a decent or good video card and the computer itself. So think about it before buying a stock computer.

tl;dr version

research first D8?
I've been researching but honestly it's all Greek to me. Comparing one computer to another hasn't helped much except to see "Oooo. This one has this fancier thing and more RAM."

So, power supply has been something I've been... uh... *can't think of the phrase*. But basically I don't know what I need to take into consideration when thinking about how many watts my power supply will need to have. I know the graphics card will be one thing. Will I need to think about anything else?

02-20-2009   #19 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

About the power supply thing. It's best to know what card you want first. Nvidia is more of a power sucking card while ATI is more heat generating. Most mid-grade cards would need at least 450watts (mines take exactly 450watts). Most sites would tell you how much watts you would need to be able to power it. Oh and buying a power supply could be a gamble if you want to buy a cheap one D8. Some cheap ones can live up to 1-3 months from what I've seen so be careful on that.

I don't see that much upside on the 9600GT then again I'm running on a Radeon HD 3850 Q__Q.

02-20-2009   #20 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
Oh and buying a power supply could be a gamble if you want to buy a cheap one D8. Some cheap ones can live up to 1-3 months from what I've seen so be careful on that.
Oh. That's good to know. I was just looking at this cheap 600 watt one in this weekly ad that had the same price as a 450 watt one from a different brand and was wondering why it might be so cheap and if it'd work well or not. So now I know I should be a bit more careful about that. Don't want to buy something just because it's cheap and have it break down a couple months later.