ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Computers & Technology

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

View Poll Results: Which Gamepad to Choose?
Logitech 0 0%
Saitek 0 0%
Xbox 360 Controller 3 50.00%
PS2 Controller/Adapter 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
02-16-2009   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Raukue will become famous soon enough
IGN: Satsuyo
Class: Witch to_soulmaster
Level: 14x/21x
Guild: «Firefly»
Xfire: Raukue
Question PC Gamepad: Saitek or Logitech? Xbox 360 or PS2 Adapter?

( I think this kind of topic belongs here )

I want to finally get a gamepad for the PC and I do not know which to go with. Saitek seems more reliable? Yet I can't find much on it as I can with Logitech.
------------------------
Top 10 Gamepads:
Top PC Gamepads

Logitech Dual Action:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga...s/288&cl=us,en

Saitek P990:
P990 Dual Analog Pad

Super Dual Box: ( PS2 Adapter )
Super Dual Box--PC USB to PS/PS2 game controller adapter
------------------------

I will sorta make this summed up as I can and not so clunky. I will say what so far I have read and heard so far on these things.

Logitech Dual Action:
I hear is reliable and well liked, the newer model anyway. Old model not so much. But it seems basically the same as the Rumblepad and Cordless Rumble pad just without the rumble. The only bad things I have heard though is how the analog stick, D-pad or buttons screw up in some way after sometime.

Saitek P990:
Not much said on Saitek that I can find but from what I can it sounds good. And 2 friends have told me they have had theirs for 4 years and it is still good. Only downside I have read with this one has been button pressing is a little hard, which is not that bad. The look of it is not liked by some either, but that is just look.

Xbox 360 & Super Dual Box: ( PS2 Adapter )
These options also seem nice because they can go onto the consoles as well. But how you need to get something like Xpadder or JoyToKey to program buttons to act as keys. Logitech and Saitek come with a program for that and my OCD, to which I want things that feel official, organized, neat and easy to use come to what I want.

Final Thoughts:
I just want something that is reliable and will last. I have been struggling back and forth on which I should really get, mostly between Saitek and Logitech. Wireless and rumble is not of importance to me, wireless would just eat batteries and rumble would not be for many games.

I sort of plan to mostly play games on emulators mostly as well as other games like free MMOs to where a gamepad would be nice to use, like a fighting one. I just wish there was someone out there who could help me out, who has maybe experienced both and can give good reliable information on the why's and why not.

Longest I have heard with someone using Logitech and it still being fine has been 1-2 years. Most I have heard with Saitek has been 4 years. I am using Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 on a HP-Pavilion PC. Reason for saying is if the gamepad would work or not based on this?

So again if anyone can help out it would be much appreciated. On which to get.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Get whichever your more comfortable with i.e. if you prefer Xbox controllers over Playstation ones get the Xbox and vice-versa. Brand/make isn't really a factor for controllers but both makes are pretty solid. Personally I've always used Logitech (Mice and headsets) due to the fact that my only Saitek item is my joystick. Controllers are more about personal preference. I got SNES, PS1, PS2 PC controllers out of my preference for them.

But yea my advice is to go with whichever you are more comfortable with PS2 design or Xbox.
By the way Xpadder is very very easy to set up and configure.

02-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Squirtle Squirtle
Games
Guild Wars 2Trickster OnlineAtlantica Online
Awards Facebook Fan

boomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really nice
IGN: Boomsticky
Class: Guardian lt_guardian
Level: 80

Well, I ended up buying an adapter for my PS2 controller from RadioShack and had no problems with it so far (Plug and Play). Ran well with MeltyBlood, Dragonica (with xpadder), emulators, and DMC3/4.

Though you're possibly getting a different adapter, using a PS2 controller (or Xbox) would be the way to go in terms of comfort, especially if you've spent a hefty amount of time playing on consoles. Unless, you don't like the PS2/Xbox controllers, then I would try to go to a electronic store and test the gamepads before purchasing. Wouldn't want to buy something that would ended up being uncomfortable.

As for the other controllers, I don't really have much to say on those. I may have run into the Logitech one at Best Buy or Circuit City, but when I messed around with it, it felt a little wide for me and I didn't like the feel of the buttons. Personal taste though.

02-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Well honestly I believe that no matter a controller these days, give a controller enough time and you will get use to it. My DS, I was not good with it at first. But over time I got use to it and was able to have an easier time pressing the buttons rather than only able to stay on 2 of the 4 on the front.

Xbox 360... I don't like the design and it has been while since I handled an Xbox controller. But over time of using it I would get use to it again.

Still though, not sure. I like the PS2 controller better. I could get the adapter I just wonder how much life my PS2 controller has. Got a PS2 around the year it came out and well my controller is still fine especially since it's been about 2-3 years since I last used it.

Someone told me how on Xpadder can't configure analog stick sensitivity or that it was not as good with it?

Just still it's tough. Logitech is smaller and more like a PS2 controller. Saitek is bigger and has 2 extra buttons or so. I guess I still need to hear more from all sides. Though not many seem to know well enough about this stuff wherever I look.

02-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

You can also pick up a wireless controller adaptor for the xbox controller and play wirelesse
But just chose whatever controller looks more comfortable I'd personally take the xbox one but thats because I'm used to it

02-16-2009   #6 (permalink)
Squirtle Squirtle
Games
Guild Wars 2Trickster OnlineAtlantica Online
Awards Facebook Fan

boomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really nice
IGN: Boomsticky
Class: Guardian lt_guardian
Level: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raukue
Someone told me how on Xpadder can't configure analog stick sensitivity or that it was not as good with it?
I dunno. I tried using it on Dragonica and it worked okay. But now that I think of it, the analog stick sensitivity did give some weird feel between player and game. Tweaking it helped a little bit though...

02-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Well I been going back and forth on which to get. Logitech or Saitek. Saitek or Logitech. Now I am currently hung on PS2 Adapter or getting a wired Xbox 360 controller. I have one but it is wireless and my brother's. I had tried it before with a wire and wondered why it did not work, reason was it was wireless, I thought it was wired. I mean I haven't been around his 360 enough to know that it was the charge wire.

Anyway... RE5, we sort of plan to play it together when he gets it but still needs a 2nd controller. I am thinking how I might as well get a Xbox 360 wired controller and how I can use it for that and PC. But I wonder if using it back and forth like that would mess it up? Also how I am on Vista and I think someone says the Xbox drivers suck?

So yes currently leaning on Xbox 360 or PS2 Adapter depending if I can find it in stores. I dunno which is the better brand adapter... Super Dual Box or another. If anyone would know, please say so.

02-18-2009   #8 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

An Xbox 360 controller is USB-capable and works fine with windows so that's what I use

02-18-2009   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga...s/287&cl=us,en

Was wondering, if I can get this one on sale at circuit city, if it is still open, and if it is a computer accessory... think I should get it? Would be $24 about instead of $40.