Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Netbooks: Yay or Nay?

So... Microsoft has been complaining that their decrease in revenue was due to the increasing trend towards netbooks instead of normal laptops. xD

For those who are not into tech news, Netbooks are like your typical laptops except that they have weaker specs (and usually much small and lighter bodies) but at a much lower price. They're not for heavy users, obviously, but people who just want a portable device to browse the web, type up a document or two, and chat with friends find this more to their liking.

Netbooks are anathema to gamers, of course (too weak), but if you just need something to take down notes in class or make a quick research, Netbooks are much more efficient... Especially since they cost as low as $300.

I'm planning to buy a cute little netbook from Asus. I can use it to surf the web and work with documents, but I'll probably need another machine for downloads, storage, gaming, and other hard-core stuff. Possibly just a desktop.

A popular upcoming model in tech review sites:

Asus eeepc-1000
10″ screen at 1280 720 screen resolution
Intel Atom 1.6GHz
WiFi 802.11n
Bluetooth 2.0
1 - 2 GB DDR RAM
1.3 MP webcam
20GB - 40GB SSD drive
Hi-definition Audio
6-cell battery (4.2 - 8 hrs)
1.33 kg
Windows XP or GNU Linux OS
95% of standard notebook keyboard size

$400-$500 USD

So are you guys ready to jump onto the netbook bandwagon?

Last edited by Catharsis; 02-05-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: PSO2: Shizuru
Class: Bouncer 75 | Fighter 71 lu_eir

I don't know about that, Microsoft released a press statement that netbooks work very well with Windows 7. *cough*lol*cough*

We'll see how it turns out, eh?

IMO, being a gamer, I'm not jumping into the netbook revolution. Waste of money.

02-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Sexy Bish <3
Special

SkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to behold

Nay. Too small to type.

I find the smallest I can go is a 12" laptop to type comfortably.

02-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
Devil's Advocate

Vegeance has a spectacular aura aboutVegeance has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Vegeance
IGN: Scorpia, ScorpiaX, Excali
Guild: Hidden

Way too flashy and small for me. Next thing you know we have a cube that comes out with 4 holographic displays, a walkie talkie, a cell phone, a holographic television, entity scanner within radius, an audio recognition speech hardware, a storage and a multi-purpose mp4 in it.

Nay. + I need to use some software (podcasts, spreadsheet, wordsheet, converter, virtual machine)

Last edited by Vegeance; 02-05-2009 at 06:21 AM.

02-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Jansen is on a distinguished road

They have their uses. If they get a LITTLE more powerful and drop in price, I think I'd consider getting one.

02-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

1280x720? Runs Windows XP? Lightweight? 4 to 8 hour battery life? That means it can run Comic Studio, which is enough for me. If I purchase another laptop, that sounds like the best deal.

02-05-2009   #7 (permalink)
<3 Adun~

Gati is on a distinguished road

I got a pink one from Acer last week, I love it... I use it more than my desktop now, I only turn the other computer on if I'm going to play L4D or another high demanding game. So practical and cute, it's just perfect. I don't mind the small screen at all, even though I use a 32' monitor with my desktop. You get used to the screen size and small keyboard faster than you think. Regular laptops just look so clumsy and chunky to me now.

02-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

With the fact that I use my laptop more for watching videos and playing games, something like that doesn't sound too practical to me.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

02-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

no. i have a laptop now that i use for everything. i doubt my lifestyle and budget would warrant a need for a netbook.

02-05-2009   #10 (permalink)
<3
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Vaizado will become famous soon enough
IGN: Vaiki

Guys want everything bigger. I think girls would be more likely to buy this than a guy. Lighter bodies is definitely not a reason for a guy to buy one unless they really can't bother to carry ~4-6pounds. I don't know it's just me. not trying to sound sexist here

02-05-2009   #11 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

my teacher has one of those i was like "wow that's a small ass laptop."

and i'm just now figuring out what it's name was (is slow)

i'll never get one though

02-05-2009   #12 (permalink)
\_(ツ)_/
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaizado
Guys want everything bigger. I think girls would be more likely to buy this than a guy. Lighter bodies is definitely not a reason for a guy to buy one unless they really can't bother to carry ~4-6pounds. I don't know it's just me. not trying to sound sexist here
Damn straight. Plus, you'd never catch me sacrificing performance for portability.
I'm a big-time gamer and this puny weak laptop has very little use to me whatsoever, and so many other male gamers would say the same.
The girls can enjoy it if they would like.

I'd rather carry those few extra pounds.

02-05-2009   #13 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Jansen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaizado

I've never seen a girl with a netbook, lol :P

there's a guy next to me using one in my a+ cert class.

02-05-2009   #14 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it's either a laptop or a Blackberry PDA. I want laptops because it gives the option to run games and such, but when that functionality is gone, getting a laptop is pointless. If all I wanted was light surfing, email, and some document writing, a PDA would be fine. Unlike the Netbook, it also fits in a pocket

02-05-2009   #15 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorpalBunny
For me, it's either a laptop or a Blackberry PDA. I want laptops because it gives the option to run games and such, but when that functionality is gone, getting a laptop is pointless. If all I wanted was light surfing, email, and some document writing, a PDA would be fine. Unlike the Netbook, it also fits in a pocket
i agree with this. well i basically said it earlier but he just said it so much better

02-05-2009   #16 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to type documents and long forum posts with a PDA... ^_^;

Weight and size is important to me, though, probably because I'm a girl-on-the-go. I'm always running all over the city and sometimes airport-hopping. I've never liked hefting massive bags, and even as a student I opted to leave my textbooks home in favor of thinner photocopies of the day's text. My laptops have never exceeded 1.3kg and are always the ultraportable light (Thinkpad X40, now X60) and they fit into my handbags with the cords and all. It can't imagine lugging around anything heavier. Q_Q

02-05-2009   #17 (permalink)
TMM
by Frank Zappa
Awards Retired Forum Operations Staff

TMM will become famous soon enoughTMM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to TMM Send a message via MSN to TMM

Netbook is a shitty term. I'm completely against using it. I have an eee 1000 on which I run eee ubuntu 8.04. It runs like a dream. I do software development on it with python, haskell, scheme, and prolog, and it compiles and runs code extremely fast. I get about 5 hours of battery life on wireless with the backlight turned down. It weighs about 2lbs and has an excellent wireless range. The keyboard is only a centimeter shorter than my logitech measuring from a to l, so it takes no adjustment. I nabbed it for $300 off newegg a while ago. It's been the best purchase I've made in a while.

Also for the gender thing, all the ladies come talk to me when I use it.

I also totally second what Gati said. As for gaming laptops, that's a serious waste of money. You could buy like 5 or 6 of these things for the price of a truly viable gaming laptop.

Last edited by TMM; 02-05-2009 at 10:30 PM.

02-05-2009   #18 (permalink)
TMM
by Frank Zappa
Awards Retired Forum Operations Staff

TMM will become famous soon enoughTMM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to TMM Send a message via MSN to TMM

Here's a quantitative example of its power. According to the ghci, run times for a simple prime factorization algorithm using a 6n +- 1 seive to generate primes running in something like O(d^2) where d is the prime density:

239393226413 -> 0.03 seconds
2393932264130 -> 0.03 seconds
23939322641300 -> 0.04 seconds
23939322641303 -> 0.12 seconds
239393226413033 -> 0.38 seconds
(written in haskell98)

02-10-2009   #19 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

I actually used to have one for a while - the HP mininote 2300. IT was fast, lightweight, had great storage, and actually had really good specs for something so tiny. I ran SuSE 11 on it and had no problems ever, other than my ineptitude with Linux.

I no longer have it due to some unfortunate circumstances, but I would definitely get one again in the future, when I can afford it. I don't need a laptop capable of gaming. I can just do that from my home computer. And I don't have the physical capacity to be able to carry a larger, heavier powerhouse of a laptop.

I miss my Mininote though, it was my favorite of all the computers I've ever had, and that's saying a lot.

02-12-2009   #20 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM
I also totally second what Gati said. As for gaming laptops, that's a serious waste of money. You could buy like 5 or 6 of these things for the price of a truly viable gaming laptop.
Why would you want to buy 5 or 6 Netbooks (as cheap as they are) that still can't play the high-performance games, if you wanted it to be able to play the high-performence games in the first place, Its pretty much getting what you payed for.

Just a thought.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406