ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Netbooks: Yay or Nay? (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/37962-netbooks-yay-nay.html)

Catharsis 02-05-2009 02:26 AM

Netbooks: Yay or Nay?

So... Microsoft has been complaining that their decrease in revenue was due to the increasing trend towards netbooks instead of normal laptops. xD

For those who are not into tech news, Netbooks are like your typical laptops except that they have weaker specs (and usually much small and lighter bodies) but at a much lower price. They're not for heavy users, obviously, but people who just want a portable device to browse the web, type up a document or two, and chat with friends find this more to their liking.

Netbooks are anathema to gamers, of course (too weak), but if you just need something to take down notes in class or make a quick research, Netbooks are much more efficient... Especially since they cost as low as $300.

I'm planning to buy a cute little netbook from Asus. I can use it to surf the web and work with documents, but I'll probably need another machine for downloads, storage, gaming, and other hard-core stuff. Possibly just a desktop.

A popular upcoming model in tech review sites:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/919...epc1000fg4.jpg
Asus eeepc-1000
10″ screen at 1280 720 screen resolution
Intel Atom 1.6GHz
WiFi 802.11n
Bluetooth 2.0
1 - 2 GB DDR RAM
1.3 MP webcam
20GB - 40GB SSD drive
Hi-definition Audio
6-cell battery (4.2 - 8 hrs)
1.33 kg
Windows XP or GNU Linux OS
95% of standard notebook keyboard size

$400-$500 USD

So are you guys ready to jump onto the netbook bandwagon?

Kotarou 02-05-2009 03:34 AM

I don't know about that, Microsoft released a press statement that netbooks work very well with Windows 7. *cough*lol*cough*

We'll see how it turns out, eh?

IMO, being a gamer, I'm not jumping into the netbook revolution. Waste of money.

SkillzKillz 02-05-2009 04:52 AM

Nay. Too small to type.

I find the smallest I can go is a 12" laptop to type comfortably.

Vegeance 02-05-2009 05:14 AM

Way too flashy and small for me. Next thing you know we have a cube that comes out with 4 holographic displays, a walkie talkie, a cell phone, a holographic television, entity scanner within radius, an audio recognition speech hardware, a storage and a multi-purpose mp4 in it.

Nay. + I need to use some software (podcasts, spreadsheet, wordsheet, converter, virtual machine)

Jansen 02-05-2009 07:05 AM

They have their uses. If they get a LITTLE more powerful and drop in price, I think I'd consider getting one.

Ethane 02-05-2009 08:58 AM

1280x720? Runs Windows XP? Lightweight? 4 to 8 hour battery life? That means it can run Comic Studio, which is enough for me. If I purchase another laptop, that sounds like the best deal.

Gati 02-05-2009 10:04 AM

I got a pink one from Acer last week, I love it... I use it more than my desktop now, I only turn the other computer on if I'm going to play L4D or another high demanding game. So practical and cute, it's just perfect. I don't mind the small screen at all, even though I use a 32' monitor with my desktop. You get used to the screen size and small keyboard faster than you think. Regular laptops just look so clumsy and chunky to me now.

HennaIkimono 02-05-2009 11:04 AM

With the fact that I use my laptop more for watching videos and playing games, something like that doesn't sound too practical to me.

PedroRomero 02-05-2009 12:44 PM

no. i have a laptop now that i use for everything. i doubt my lifestyle and budget would warrant a need for a netbook.

Vaizado 02-05-2009 12:56 PM

Guys want everything bigger. I think girls would be more likely to buy this than a guy. Lighter bodies is definitely not a reason for a guy to buy one unless they really can't bother to carry ~4-6pounds. I don't know it's just me. not trying to sound sexist here

Poople 02-05-2009 01:14 PM

my teacher has one of those i was like "wow that's a small ass laptop."

and i'm just now figuring out what it's name was (is slow)

i'll never get one though

Adun 02-05-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaizado (Post 702315)
Guys want everything bigger. I think girls would be more likely to buy this than a guy. Lighter bodies is definitely not a reason for a guy to buy one unless they really can't bother to carry ~4-6pounds. I don't know it's just me. not trying to sound sexist here

Damn straight. Plus, you'd never catch me sacrificing performance for portability.
I'm a big-time gamer and this puny weak laptop has very little use to me whatsoever, and so many other male gamers would say the same.
The girls can enjoy it if they would like.

I'd rather carry those few extra pounds.

Jansen 02-05-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaizado (Post 702315)

I've never seen a girl with a netbook, lol :P

there's a guy next to me using one in my a+ cert class.

VorpalBunny 02-05-2009 08:49 PM

For me, it's either a laptop or a Blackberry PDA. I want laptops because it gives the option to run games and such, but when that functionality is gone, getting a laptop is pointless. If all I wanted was light surfing, email, and some document writing, a PDA would be fine. Unlike the Netbook, it also fits in a pocket :D

PedroRomero 02-05-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VorpalBunny (Post 703068)
For me, it's either a laptop or a Blackberry PDA. I want laptops because it gives the option to run games and such, but when that functionality is gone, getting a laptop is pointless. If all I wanted was light surfing, email, and some document writing, a PDA would be fine. Unlike the Netbook, it also fits in a pocket :D

i agree with this. well i basically said it earlier but he just said it so much better

Catharsis 02-05-2009 09:21 PM

It's hard to type documents and long forum posts with a PDA... ^_^;

Weight and size is important to me, though, probably because I'm a girl-on-the-go. I'm always running all over the city and sometimes airport-hopping. I've never liked hefting massive bags, and even as a student I opted to leave my textbooks home in favor of thinner photocopies of the day's text. My laptops have never exceeded 1.3kg and are always the ultraportable light (Thinkpad X40, now X60) and they fit into my handbags with the cords and all. It can't imagine lugging around anything heavier. Q_Q

TMM 02-05-2009 09:27 PM

Netbook is a shitty term. I'm completely against using it. I have an eee 1000 on which I run eee ubuntu 8.04. It runs like a dream. I do software development on it with python, haskell, scheme, and prolog, and it compiles and runs code extremely fast. I get about 5 hours of battery life on wireless with the backlight turned down. It weighs about 2lbs and has an excellent wireless range. The keyboard is only a centimeter shorter than my logitech measuring from a to l, so it takes no adjustment. I nabbed it for $300 off newegg a while ago. It's been the best purchase I've made in a while.

Also for the gender thing, all the ladies come talk to me when I use it.

I also totally second what Gati said. As for gaming laptops, that's a serious waste of money. You could buy like 5 or 6 of these things for the price of a truly viable gaming laptop.

TMM 02-05-2009 09:43 PM

Here's a quantitative example of its power. According to the ghci, run times for a simple prime factorization algorithm using a 6n +- 1 seive to generate primes running in something like O(d^2) where d is the prime density:

239393226413 -> 0.03 seconds
2393932264130 -> 0.03 seconds
23939322641300 -> 0.04 seconds
23939322641303 -> 0.12 seconds
239393226413033 -> 0.38 seconds
(written in haskell98)

Mitchi 02-10-2009 12:47 AM

I actually used to have one for a while - the HP mininote 2300. IT was fast, lightweight, had great storage, and actually had really good specs for something so tiny. I ran SuSE 11 on it and had no problems ever, other than my ineptitude with Linux.

I no longer have it due to some unfortunate circumstances, but I would definitely get one again in the future, when I can afford it. I don't need a laptop capable of gaming. I can just do that from my home computer. And I don't have the physical capacity to be able to carry a larger, heavier powerhouse of a laptop.

I miss my Mininote though, it was my favorite of all the computers I've ever had, and that's saying a lot.

HennaIkimono 02-11-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM (Post 703123)
I also totally second what Gati said. As for gaming laptops, that's a serious waste of money. You could buy like 5 or 6 of these things for the price of a truly viable gaming laptop.

Why would you want to buy 5 or 6 Netbooks (as cheap as they are) that still can't play the high-performance games, if you wanted it to be able to play the high-performence games in the first place, Its pretty much getting what you payed for.

Just a thought.