ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   new computer hmm? (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/37439-new-computer-hmm.html)

Goldie 01-31-2009 07:10 PM

new computer hmm?

For my birthday (april 2nd) I'm thinking of getting a new computer (just a CPU thingy already have a new monitor etc etc)

im wondering are there any good computers i should look for that are good for gaming that are under 1.3K , I would get alienware but i don't think my parents would want to spend too much.

Are those like 4 gig ram and 512 mb video cards good?I'm no pro with computers but i know some stuff.

P.S I live in canada and i usually just go to Best buy or Future Shop to by my electronics

VorpalBunny 01-31-2009 07:34 PM

Try this link:

Welcome to Zero-PC

Prices are in CDN, and even their budget gaming PCs are good value (Q6600 system for around $450 USD). Granted, the video card sucks, but an NVidia 8800 GT / 9800 series 512MB card would add on only another $70, and another $25 for another 2GB RAM. $800 CDN there would build a great AMD/ATI gaming machine, but the $758 E8400 seems like a ripoff compared to the $558 Q6600. Those two processors are about equal (unless you feel like a maniac and overclock the E8400 to over 4GHz), and boosting the rest of the cheaper machine to match specs with the more expensive one would cost no more than $80.

Henreh 02-01-2009 01:30 PM

why get Alienware seriously? Overpriced and most other brands just beat the crap out of it if you know your stuff.

This will last you for some years and you'll enjoy it.

Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 542 Phenom X4 9950(2.6GHz) 8GB DDR2 500GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

a lot of other CPUs for you to choose from since you're willing to spend some money on it. It's true that you could save some money if you buy a less powerful machine and customize it but that's only if you know how to.

Jansen 02-05-2009 02:58 PM

Build one! It's basically like legos.

super easy :)

TMM 02-05-2009 09:49 PM

Seriously, build your own. You can get one of those fancy new i7 processors, an 8800GT, and a nice mobo for cheap. 1.3k is almost excessive for a computer if you already have a monitor. Or you can do what I do: get more monitors.

Jansen 02-05-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM (Post 703185)
Seriously, build your own. You can get one of those fancy new i7 processors, an 8800GT, and a nice mobo for cheap. 1.3k is almost excessive for a computer if you already have a monitor. Or you can do what I do: get more monitors.

Word :3

I love my duels :3

TMM 02-05-2009 10:44 PM

**** yeah, I'm rockin' double 22s. So cash.

Jansen 02-06-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM (Post 703257)

24 and a 22 here :D I love it! :) I use dual monitors at work, too. If I ever use a pc without them I go crazy >_>

NakedImouto 02-06-2009 07:21 AM

Alienwares are crappy. If you want the case, just buy one on ebay or something.

i7 is a scam. It's just a faster Core 2 Quad. Not like there's much of a difference considering how much processing power the Core 2 Quad already has.

If you want to spend 1.3k on a gaming computer, you have a lot of potential, but it depends on what game's you'll be playing.

a 1 Gig HD 4870 is probably the best mid-high graphics card out there IMO.
The GTX 300 / 4870 X2 if you really feel like getting a high-powered graphics card (not worth it IMO).

For processor, I'd suggest the Q6600 or one of the Core 2 Duos. You could always OC if you needed to. i7 costs quite a bit, but you can get it if you want. Meh, it's overrated IMO.

for RAM, you could go DDR2 or DDR3. It's all your preference (and it depends on your Mobo). DDR3 is still expensive, but still more affordable than it was a few months ago. It'll also be much faster than DDR2. However, DDR3 is still probably a lot more expensive. I'm doing fine with DDR2 (though if I could dish out the cash, I'd upgrade my mobo to get DDR3).

So on the topic of operating systems : XP or Vista?

Vista is shinier. There aren't any really big compatibility issues with Vista. So why not go Vista? With a decent computer, Vista isn't slower at all. In fact, you won't notice a difference. If you really want to do something cool, take a SSD, put Vista on it, have a slave drive for everything else. Fast.

NoeJeko 02-06-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM (Post 703257)

2x 24's.

Anyway, I guess it depends on your level of proficiency with building and self-support. If you're comfortable assembling it AND troubleshooting problems then yeah build your own - you get maximum customization and components are pretty cheap.

If you're not then I suggest Dell. Their support is awesome and their prices really aren't too bad. Even though I can support my own equipment I recently bought a Dell laptop to use as my primary PC - I just dock it so it behaves like a desktop (that's how I run 2x24's on a laptop). It's pretty efficient because I don't have to keep a separate laptop for when I travel - I can just take my main computer with me.

Ethane 02-06-2009 07:51 AM

true story the Marine Corps bought a bunch of Alienware laptops for officers to use while they were in Iraq (don't ask me why or how)

they lasted maybe five minutes

Jansen 02-06-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethane (Post 703603)
true story the Marine Corps bought a bunch of Alienware laptops for officers to use while they were in Iraq (don't ask me why or how)

they lasted maybe five minutes

lmfao..

They should have gotten toshiba toughbooks

ShiningSeraph 02-06-2009 04:12 PM

Build your own with parts from Newegg.ca or you could try ecollegepc.com. Don't know if they ship to Canada, though. Avoid iBUYPOWER and CYBERPOWERPC.

I wouldn't spend that much on a PC when you can get a decent one for around $800 or so.

4870 512MB is great for the price it's currently going for. 4850 if you need lower. GTX 260 Core 216 if you want that bit of an oomph.

Really, you should just try to build it utilizing videos and stuff.

Ethane 02-06-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathy (Post 703721)
They were to give the soldiers something to do during downtime. They were allowed to surf the net, play games, and communicate with family.(I think) My older brother would play WoW with his wife while talking to her on vent when he had the time.

On Topic: $1,300 is enough to make a nice computer that will last you years. If you have any computer savvy friends aka geeks, Ask them to help you with parts and to help build it. You can save hundreds of dollars and get more for your money.

No, these particular alienware laptops were for the journalism/videographer marines to use while out there, and I remember seeing the pile of dead alienware laptops that made its way back over

I asked the Warrant Officer there whose idiotic idea it was to greenlight that idea, he couldn't tell me but he did say they'll never make that mistake again

Henreh 02-06-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiningSeraph (Post 704022)
Build your own with parts from Newegg.ca or you could try ecollegepc.com. Don't know if they ship to Canada, though. Avoid iBUYPOWER and CYBERPOWERPC.

I wouldn't spend that much on a PC when you can get a decent one for around $800 or so.

4870 512MB is great for the price it's currently going for. 4850 if you need lower. GTX 260 Core 216 if you want that bit of an oomph.

Really, you should just try to build it utilizing videos and stuff.

Ok you're telling him to not buy a brand that makes great gaming comps without a reason. Anyway you don't need to listen to this guy. The one I posted is great for it's price.

Goldie 02-06-2009 08:54 PM

I'm wondering is this true or is it BS?Like the website looks legit (First picture) but everything else looks fake but is there really a computer that good?

SkillzKillz 02-07-2009 09:50 PM

^No that's just a joke, rofl.

And your best option would be to build your own computer. You could find great deals on certain parts and customize it to your liking.

I'm Canadian as well and I used three sites to build my rig:

http://www.newegg.ca
http://www.canadacomputers.com
http://www.lucomputers.com

i7 is powerful but it's the hottest powersucker out there. Runs at 130w and like 70C~100C. It's also overpriced and requires you to buy a special motherboard with the 1366 chipset to support i7. As well, it needs 3~6 slots of DDR3 RAM. So you'll probably be lookinag at $1500~$2000 if you buy this, and it's not worth it at all.

The best processor out there, IMHO, is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. 4GB of RAM is most common and should be all you need while DDR2 is REALLY cheap and worth it.

The big money is usually spent on graphics to attract all the gamers. But it's honestly not worth it at all and in a month there'll be something new out anyways. So just go with 1 mid graphics card and you're good to go.

My rig:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 running stock @ 2.4ghz
RAM: 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066mhz DDR2
Graphics Card: Nvidia 9600GT
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB
Cooling: Zalman 9700NT Air Fan

*Note 32-bit Windows only recognizes about 3GB of RAM if you put in 4GB+, therefore, a 64-bit operating system is required to reach the RAM's full potential.

This comp runs just fine at stock, though I built it to last long and overclock if I need to. When I first got it I overclocked to 3.4ghz stable just to test its capabilities ;)

Jansen 02-09-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkillzKillz (Post 705673)
^No that's just a joke, rofl.

And your best option would be to build your own computer. You could find great deals on certain parts and customize it to your liking.

I'm Canadian as well and I used three sites to build my rig:

Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.
LU Computers

i7 is powerful but it's the hottest powersucker out there. Runs at 130w and like 70C~100C. It's also overpriced and requires you to buy a special motherboard with the 1366 chipset to support i7. As well, it needs 3~6 slots of DDR3 RAM. So you'll probably be lookinag at $1500~$2000 if you buy this, and it's not worth it at all.

The best processor out there, IMHO, is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. 4GB of RAM is most common and should be all you need while DDR2 is REALLY cheap and worth it.

The big money is usually spent on graphics to attract all the gamers. But it's honestly not worth it at all and in a month there'll be something new out anyways. So just go with 1 mid graphics card and you're good to go.

My rig:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 running stock @ 2.4ghz
RAM: 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066mhz DDR2
Graphics Card: Nvidia 9600GT
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB
Cooling: Zalman 9700NT Air Fan

*Note 32-bit Windows only recognizes about 3GB of RAM if you put in 4GB+, therefore, a 64-bit operating system is required to reach the RAM's full potential.

This comp runs just fine at stock, though I built it to last long and overclock if I need to. When I first got it I overclocked to 3.4ghz stable just to test its capabilities ;)

Why would you run 8gb of ram and a quad core processor with a godawful graphics card? o.o

do you not game?

VorpalBunny 02-09-2009 06:44 AM

One of the ongoing debates of the day is whether to pick a Q6600 or an E8400. Very few games use quad cores, and by the time programmers get around to it, it will be time to upgrade. I'm slightly in favor of the E8400 because it draws much less wattage than the Q6600 and pretty much matches it's processing power. It's also a bit cheaper than the quad, which allowed me to switch up to a 9800GTX from a 9600GSO and still keep the system cost down to around $675 USD. The main advantage of the E8400 comes from the fact that your computer doesn't sound like a jet engine when under a large load or when watching HQ movies.