Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-03-2013   #1 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default Desktop question.

So there was a desktop in the newspaper today that Costco has on sale. I was wondering if this is a good deal on it. I'm just unsure of the graphics card. Will it be able to run League of Legends on max settings with 60 FPS?

Pretty much the only thing I do on computers anymore is play LoL and watch Anime in 1080p. Occasionally I'll play Dragon Nest or Vindictus with friends, but that's about it.

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop | Intel Core i7 | 1GB Graphics

Then there's also this one which seems to be an "upgraded" version of the first one. (Not sure if it's worth $1000 more though...)

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop | Intel Core i7 | 1.5GB Graphics

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-03-2013   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Counter-Strike OnlineTrickster OnlineProject BlackoutLeague of Legends

iTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: iTaker

Im Running a nvidida 460 and League runs on all high settings with no fps cap at around 210 fps. That system should run league fine.

<3 Katamari, Complexity, 7N, Ecks T.C. <3

11-03-2013   #3 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Considering that's all you really use it for, the top option is your system of choice.
The second one isn't worth the additional funds.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

11-07-2013   #4 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute

So unless someone gives me some horrible reason not to buy it, I'm probably going with this one~ (Like the first one in my first post, but with a 27" screen and Microsoft Office 2013 Office, Home & Student)

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop | Intel Core i7 | 1GB Graphics | Office 2013

And for some reason a review I read said it was a touch screen monitor? I googled it but I couldn't find anything about it being a touch screen.

11-08-2013   #5 (permalink)
8-bit
Games

Had to order it offline since the Costco near us doesn't carry desktops in store anymore :/

Shipping+Tax...wow e_e; Hope this is worth it though I haven't had a desktop in like 5 years. But since I got a job now and can buy stuff I wanted a desktop just for gaming since my laptop can't handle a lot of the newer stuff.

Thanks for the comments guys!

11-16-2013   #6 (permalink)
8-bit
Games

Bleh...turns out it's not much better than my 3 year old laptop....that's sad.

So now I'm looking at attempting to build my first gaming desktop. Newegg was the first website that popped into my mind and I found they recommend other parts when you choose a part. Only problem is I wouldn't know if they worked together or not!

I found this CPU which I'm liking and the reviews are good. I'm looking at graphics cards now but ran into something called a support video card (I'm guessing that's when you have 2 graphics cards working together?) However I have no idea what kind of graphics card to look at, though I really want to stick with Asus now (that's the company that my laptop came from).

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com

EDIT: Found this package deal with that CPU that's only $100ish more than the Dell XPS 8700...and this one has a newer graphics card as part of the package.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1469886

Last edited by Mega; 11-16-2013 at 04:52 AM.

11-16-2013   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaSilkroad OnlineDynasty Warriors OnlineTales of Fantasy

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

If your desktop will be purely for gaming, you should look for an Intel CPU.
See the benchmarks here: AnandTech Portal | The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested.

Also I´m not really a fan of already built systems, because there´s always some trade-off with RAM, grafic cards and the like. If you´re capable, build your own system from scratch. Saves money, too.

11-16-2013   #8 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibak
If your desktop will be purely for gaming, you should look for an Intel CPU.
See the benchmarks here: AnandTech Portal | The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested.
Here is where I melt the entire debate on "Intel is better than X" stuff. No matter what you get, you'll have 60 FPS with both brands. The only reason to spend extra on an Intel chip is for higher benchmarking scores (Bragging rights) or working with physics intense software.

Having used both, I've not felt preference towards either AMD or Intel because of said fact. It used to matter in the past, but technology evolves faster than the games do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibak
Also I´m not really a fan of already built systems, because there´s always some trade-off with RAM, grafic cards and the like. If you´re capable, build your own system from scratch. Saves money, too.
Here is where I not only agree, but it's also a proven fact that a corner is cut to save on costs. With the brand name filling in the hole to try and justify the price tag.

11-16-2013   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaSilkroad OnlineDynasty Warriors OnlineTales of Fantasy

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
No matter what you get, you'll have 60 FPS with both brands.
That is true, but since, for example, the FX-8350 and the i5 3570k nearly cost the same, I don´t see anything wrong with favorising Intel cpus, which have a slightly better performance in this price segment. It also lasts a little while longer before you feel the need to upgrade the cpu.

But I have to admit that my original post was worded poorly.

11-16-2013   #10 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

I don't hold any of it against you. I could tell you weren't a major Intel fanboy.

If the price point is the same than I see no reason not to go Intel. I've noticed a decline in pricing for them lately when building my current system. Which in the past was pretty rare as they demanded $500 for their not so top of the line chip. AMD came with a motherboard for $350 at the cost of minor performance.

Now AMD graphics cards are out of my understanding. I've used Nvidia exclusively after 2002, the days before PCI Express. If you know more, than you can make those recommendations.