League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-30-2013   #1 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games
Grand ChaseMapleStoryRagnarok OnlineRequiem
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW Junior

Pshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud of
IGN: Tsurukie
Class: Eir lu_eir
Guild: Titans
Default MoBo replacement ?

Hey !
Would you be kind enough to give me some MoBo advice ? My old mobo died out 2 weeks ago and I'm looking for a replacement that is on-par or maybe slightly better than it ! Thing is the max I can spend on it would be around 230 usd ( that's kind of the max, even )

My old mobo was an ASUS P8P67 PRO . I'v been looking around mainly for z77 stuffles but I'm not really sure what to pick .

Really looking for the best I can get for the money I have .

Thanks in advance !

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-30-2013   #2 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Because your hardware is not being changed to something more powerful than your old one could support; you may as well buy the same board to be honest.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

09-30-2013   #3 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games

Pshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud of

Thing is I can only find refurbished parts of it where I live ( I've looked around and I saw some but they're overpriced at mercadolibre which is the same thing as Ebay but for Mexico ) and with pesky restrictions . . . Some of them would be : can't be returned and can't cancel my order .

Wanted to know if there are better stuff for around the same price since it's been 3 years since I got it, hence the thread !

10-02-2013   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Awards Facebook Fan

Iscoseles is on a distinguished road

It depends on your desired processor if it is AMD or Intel and lastly your budget. I can advise you a gaming PC just feel free to post your desired Processor.

Last edited by Iscoseles; 10-02-2013 at 12:50 AM.

10-02-2013   #5 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pshfrk
Wanted to know if there are better stuff for around the same price since it's been 3 years since I got it, hence the thread !
Because the motherboard is simply meant to facilitate your hardware, you don't need to look for what's "better".
If you can't get the same board, then you can just pick one that will accept your current gear at a cheap price, and not worry too much about it.

The only reason you'd want a more costly motherboard, is if you're planning to upgrade your hardware over the next few years, to something stronger than you already have. Or you're an avid overclocker who likes to push said hardware into higher power ranges which motherboards need to also facilitate.

10-02-2013   #6 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Because the motherboard is simply meant to facilitate your hardware, you don't need to look for what's "better".
If you can't get the same board, then you can just pick one that will accept your current gear at a cheap price, and not worry too much about it.

The only reason you'd want a more costly motherboard, is if you're planning to upgrade your hardware over the next few years, to something stronger than you already have. Or you're an avid overclocker who likes to push said hardware into higher power ranges which motherboards need to also facilitate.
This is pretty much all I might intended to say here. With each motherboard, you have to keep in mind the actual voltage each one can produce.

If you intend to have a long term motherboard that you fully intend to upgrade later on, you need one that can output a notably higher than average power compared to those facilitating to the current market hardware.

--Frenchbread is

10-02-2013   #7 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games

I think I explained before what " better " meant . I want something on par with what I had for a good price, and if it's on par but with some " upgrades " as how they seem to perform better with the z77 chipset. Well I wouldn't complain . The only parts that I can find ( same a smy previous one ) are all refurbished and they say they would come without a warranty, and I don't have the money to take such a high risk D: ( I need to buy online . Nowhere to buy locally )

Going to dump my stuff in case someone wants it to throw any options I could pursue . I'll keep looking around on my own, regardless !

CPU: Intel core i7 2600k 3.40 GHz
MEMORY: 8GB RAM ( G. SKIll RIpjaws 1600 mhz 4GBX2 )
GRAPHICS: AMD HD 6970 2GB
PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800w

I'm thinking fo upgrading to 16 gb so I'd need 4 slots for ram ( another pair of g skill stuffles ) and maybe my GPU in the future, too .

Dead mobo : ASUS P8P67 PRO

10-04-2013   #8 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

Take your pick. I would save the money and put it towards a new gen video card like the 9000 series when it's out.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

10-05-2013   #9 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games

Thanks ! What do you think about this one ? In comparison to the ASUS one you recommended ( Asking because I think they have the P8Z77-M in stock, just that, well, it's also a tad cheaper but the risk makes me nervous o: )

10-05-2013   #10 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

It's fine if you're don't need another PCI-E slot.

10-07-2013   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

JakeFrost is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I enter on your discussion guys.
I'd like to share my ideas on these parts

MEMORY: 8GB RAM ( G. SKIll RIpjaws 1600 mhz 4GBX2 )
- Memory Ram higher than 8gb is not advisable since Windows OS with 64 bit only use 6gb of ram but its up to you.

GRAPHICS: AMD HD 6970 2GB
- You can buy another 6970 for crossfire or much better buy GTX 770 since you are using intel.

PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800w
-You got 800w PSU which can handle 2 video cards and 2 HDD or SDD slot. I suggest you to buy Motherboard with 2-3 slot video card slot which has SLI Technology. To combine the two Nvidia Graphic cards in your mobo.

10-12-2013   #12 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Quote:
Thanks ! What do you think about this one ? In comparison to the ASUS one you recommended ( Asking because I think they have the P8Z77-M in stock, just that, well, it's also a tad cheaper but the risk makes me nervous o: )
I'd suggest sticking with at least 2 slots for a board. If you haven't bought one yet.

There was a case where I had purchased a better card, but it was still SLI compatible with my old card. My graphical power was better than anticipated.
*Be sure cards are compatible before attempting to crossfire them!

There are also cases where you can buy two cards and crossfire them; When combined they can surpass the next few set of cards that come out after them.

So with that said, stick with boards with at least two. You never know when you might want to utilize crossfire in the future.

10-13-2013   #13 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games

Thanks for the piece of advice, everyone o:

I haven't bought one, yet . So I'll keep all that in mind ( I was thinking about the slots, as well ) .

10-14-2013   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Awards Facebook Fan

Iscoseles is on a distinguished road

We would be glad if you will tell us what mobo did you brought

12-12-2013   #15 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games

Finally ordered a new MoBo ! Went for the ASUS P8Z77-V LK since it was in stock and I had the money . . . Only to find out that my GPU might be dead ( that too, I'm so lucky )

So . . . I'm kind of lost here, my old card was an XFX AMD HD 6970 2GB and I'm not really sure what to get now because it's been 2 years since I checked out GPUs . Although I realise there's not much room for improvement ( Also I don't really think I'd ever go for the extremely high-end cards, seems like a waste of money <o< ) I'd like something better than the 6970 . Should I hang in there until the new stuff comes out to see if I can get some price cuts ? I'm open to suggestions c:

Btw, I'd like to use it for video editing, 3d modelling, motion graphics, also gaming !

Thanks in advance o3o

Last edited by Pshfrk; 12-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.

12-12-2013   #16 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Quote:
Btw, I'd like to use it for video editing, 3d modelling, motion graphics, also gaming !
Sounds like you're going to need a powerhouse of a system if you intend to do these things on a grand scale.

You wouldn't want to skimp on the GPU if you're doing a lot of heavy tessellation, illumination, particles and post processing.

It's also better to have one super card than to crossfire two lower end cards. I was pretty pissed to learn recently that two cards don't actually combine as a single powerful unit with SLI. The second card only kicked in when PhysX was involved. Can't say for sure crossfire is the same way but why chance it.

With that said, I'm a nvidia guy. I wouldn't know what AMD card is considered newer or older by their names, but I can still read the card details to know if it's worth its salt if you find one within your budget.

12-12-2013   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Blade & SoulCabal OnlineChampions OnlineCombat Arms

Uncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to all

Quote:
Finally ordered a new MoBo ! Went for the ASUS P8Z77-V LK since it was in stock and I had the money . . . Only to find out that my GPU might be dead ( that too, I'm so lucky )

So . . . I'm kind of lost here, my old card was an XFX AMD HD 6970 2GB and I'm not really sure what to get now because it's been 2 years since I checked out GPUs . Although I realise there's not much room for improvement ( Also I don't really think I'd ever go for the extremely high-end cards, seems like a waste of money <o< ) I'd like something better than the 6970 . Should I hang in there until the new stuff comes out to see if I can get some price cuts ? I'm open to suggestions c:

Thanks in advance o3o
6970 is pretty beast, still if you want something higher you have the newer amd cards R200 series, i've heard the R290 is a monster but pricy.
if i were you i'd stick with my 6970 or just get another one to crossfire, even then there's no significant jump from the 6000 series to R200 series

12-12-2013   #18 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted
6970 is pretty beast, still if you want something higher you have the newer amd cards R200 series, i've heard the R290 is a monster but pricy.
if i were you i'd stick with my 6970 or just get another one to crossfire, even then there's no significant jump from the 6000 series to R200 series
" Only to find out that my GPU might be dead ( that too, I'm so lucky ) "

Which means my 6970 is already dead :c . . . I'll have to rely on my integrated graphics until I can get a new one, hence why I asked for advice on what should I get coming from an AMD HD 6970 c:

I don't really understand the new amd series . . . Are they revamps of old models ? I thought we were waiting for the 8000 series o:

And I wouldn't mind getting an Nvidia card, I'd just like to get the best price~performance card that can handle 3d modelling / motion graphics / video editing / high resolution painting ! ( Also wouldn't mind playing games with pretty settings . . . But I don't want to go overboard )

12-12-2013   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Blade & SoulCabal OnlineChampions OnlineCombat Arms

Uncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to all

Quote:
" Only to find out that my GPU might be dead ( that too, I'm so lucky ) "

Which means my 6970 is already dead :c . . . I'll have to rely on my integrated graphics until I can get a new one, hence why I asked for advice on what should I get coming from an AMD HD 6970 c:

I don't really understand the new amd series . . . Are they revamps of old models ? I thought we were waiting for the 8000 series o:

And I wouldn't mind getting an Nvidia card, I'd just like to get the best price~performance card that can handle 3d modelling / motion graphics / video editing / high resolution painting ! ( Also wouldn't mind playing games with pretty settings . . . But I don't want to go overboard )
oh hey, pretty sleepy here.. didnt read that part :P

as for AMD the R200 (R9) is basically the 9000 series from AMD, im not sure what happened with the 8000 series.
R290/290X = Highest of the highest tier (GTX Titan from Nvidia)
R280X= still on the higher tier (GTX770 from Nvidia , x900 series from AMD)
R270/270X= high tier (7950/7870 from AMD, GTX 760 from Nvidia)

i think it would also depend on how much are you willing to spend, for example i paid $500 for my GPU, which is a 7870

12-12-2013   #20 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games

Sometimes a not so latest card can still pack serious power that can rival the latest.

I paid $650 for my GTX 780 which was in prime condition for full overclocking potential. Exceeding the Titan which is $1000.
Default specs aren't that big of a gap in general, but the price sure as hell is.